Advice on new bike!

vegasbabee

Mar 20, 2005
Hi. I'm Ken from Las Vegas and i've been looking to get back into cycling -haven't had a bike since my 10- speed Takara with nifty lug(!)frame was stolen in college in 1980. Needless to say i'm in a time warp with all of hte new technology out there.

I've had my sights set on a Giant Cypress DX or a Trek 7300, both hybrid bikes at about $400, but a sharp salesman talked me out of it today at the local Trek Dealer. I'm 6'2" and I tried a 22.5" and a 25" (a little to big when at a standstill-scary) frame and while i'm sitting up real high and comfortable, i didn'tfeel like i had much power and my knees were almost hitting the handlebars when I turned -I'm like what the f*ck is up with this? I felt like i was sitting on top of a horse yet the handle bars are right under me?

Matt (salesman) then had me try a Trek 4500 22.5 mountain bike which had a much longer top bar and I felt more like in a racing position and I was able to stretch my long-assed arms out and my knees were nowhere near the handlebars. I really like the bike and it's $100 discounted since it's a 2004. The only thing is it has those fat, mountain bike tires which are noisy and slow.

Any suggestions for a guy who'll just be cruising around the park on pavement and maybe commute to work? The racing bikes are to expensive and I don't really like those super skinny wheel- I heard that they are fragile and i'm not exactly Lance Armstrong at 205 lbs!

The hybrids are nice but they make you sit in too upright up a position.

Does Giant make a comparable bike to the Trek 4500? Thanks for the help!

If you like the fit on the mountain bike, go for it. For less than $50 more you can get a good set of slick 1.5" tires to put on it.

My first "road bike" was a Trek 820 Mountian bike with Slicks on it. I still was able to do 3 hour rides no problem (a little slower than the other roadies) but it is a fine way to go if the bike is comfy. Plus I liked it as the roads where I was living were in really bad shape and A MTB can go through pot holes and over railway tracks no problem.

vegasbabee said:
Matt (salesman) then had me try a Trek 4500 22.5 mountain bike which had a much longer top bar and I felt more like in a racing position and I was able to stretch my long-assed arms out and my knees were nowhere near the handlebars.
Any suggestions for a guy who'll just be cruising around the park on pavement

My wife has a Trek 4500 and it has proven itself to be an excellent bike. I normally ride a road bike but I also have a Gary Fisher mountain bike. I think the Genesis geometry on the Gary Fisher provides for an even longer top tube than the Trek.

By the way, I weigh much more than your 205 pounds and ride about 7800 miles a year on my "skinny tires." I average about two flats a year and my wheels hold their true just fine. I have more flats on my mountain bike.

jabike said:
My wife has a Trek 4500 and it has proven itself to be an excellent bike. I normally ride a road bike but I also have a Gary Fisher mountain bike. I think the Genesis geometry on the Gary Fisher provides for an even longer top tube than the Trek.

By the way, I weigh much more than your 205 pounds and ride about 7800 miles a year on my "skinny tires." I average about two flats a year and my wheels hold their true just fine. I have more flats on my mountain bike.
Gary Fisher? Is that some expensive Boutique bike?

vegasbabee said:
Gary Fisher? Is that some expensive Boutique bike?

Gary Fisher was/is a MTB God. He developed some bikes and Trek bought the name but not the autonomy. He still designs, rides but his brand "Gary Fisher" is under the Trek umbrella.

So the answer is no, not a boutique brand. Most stores that sell Trek sell Fisher.

JG