advice wanted on cycling holiday

passing tyke

Guest
Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.

My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.

We are female and 50 years old. Neither of us is an experienced long
haul cyclist, but we are both well used to cycling as a means of getting
round our rather hilly home town.

We both have OK bikes, but nothing very special. Mine is a 3 year old
Giant hybrid (cost £200) and my friend a brand new Orbea town/hybrid
(cost £300).

We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or
Youth Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the country
before. Is it as flat as people say? Are there any nice routes you
could recommend?

We want something scenic and free from heavy traffic. Looking at the
map I fancy getting the train to King's Lynn or thereabouts, going round
the coast as far as feasible, trying also to take in some of the broads,
and then getting the train back from wherever we end up.

We were planning on about 3 days cycling. Bearing in mind that we
intend to pootle, enjoy the scenery and stop for lots of snacks and
drinks, about how many miles do you think we can cover?

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:41:00 +0100 someone who may be passing tyke
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or
>Youth Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the country
>before. Is it as flat as people say?

Check the prevailing winds and go with them. Flat tends to mean
winds.

>We want something scenic and free from heavy traffic. Looking at the
>map I fancy getting the train to King's Lynn or thereabouts,

http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html is the starting point for
bikes on trains.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

In message <[email protected]>, passing tyke
<[email protected]> writes
>Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.
>
>My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.
>
>We are female and 50 years old. Neither of us is an experienced long
>haul cyclist, but we are both well used to cycling as a means of
>getting round our rather hilly home town.
>
>We both have OK bikes, but nothing very special. Mine is a 3 year old
>Giant hybrid (cost £200) and my friend a brand new Orbea town/hybrid
>(cost £300).

The important things are that they are comfortable for you and reliable

>We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or
>Youth Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the
>country before. Is it as flat as people say?

No, quite a lot is a lot of Cambridgeshire, the fens into Norfolk etc.
but much of norfolk - esp. north and suffolk are pleasantly undulating
> Are there any nice routes you could recommend?

Suffolk is very pleasant, had a nice time a few years back around the
Aldburgh area

>We want something scenic and free from heavy traffic. Looking at the
>map I fancy getting the train to King's Lynn or thereabouts, going
>round the coast as far as feasible, trying also to take in some of the
>broads, and then getting the train back from wherever we end up.

Nice around there as well, though the coast road itself can be bit busy
esp in the summer

>We were planning on about 3 days cycling. Bearing in mind that we
>intend to pootle, enjoy the scenery and stop for lots of snacks and
>drinks, about how many miles do you think we can cover?

I suggest aiming at around 40 per day, in cycling time no more than 3-4
hours even at a moderate pace so plenty of time for tea and cakes :)
--
Chris French

On 07/16/2005 16:41:00 passing tyke <[email protected]> wrote:

> Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.

> My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.

> We are female and 50 years old. Neither of us is an experienced long haul
> cyclist, but we are both well used to cycling as a means of getting round
> our rather hilly home town.

> We both have OK bikes, but nothing very special. Mine is a 3 year old
> Giant hybrid (cost £200) and my friend a brand new Orbea town/hybrid
> (cost £300).

> We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or Youth
> Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the country before.
> Is it as flat as people say? Are there any nice routes you could
> recommend?

> We want something scenic and free from heavy traffic. Looking at the map
> I fancy getting the train to King's Lynn or thereabouts, going round the
> coast as far as feasible, trying also to take in some of the broads, and
> then getting the train back from wherever we end up.

> We were planning on about 3 days cycling. Bearing in mind that we intend
> to pootle, enjoy the scenery and stop for lots of snacks and drinks, about
> how many miles do you think we can cover?

If you do not plan on a particular mileage every day then join the YHA, they
usually have secure bike parking and you can arrive at most any time.

Sounds like the only problem you may have, is wishing you had ten days
instead of three.

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:19:41 +0100, David Hansen wrote:

>>We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or
>>Youth Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the country
>>before. Is it as flat as people say?

> Check the prevailing winds and go with them. Flat tends to mean
> winds.

This is the double edged sword of cycling in North Lincolnshire. Sometimes
you find yourself traveling down a perfectly flat road, a ditch next to you
and fields as far the eye can see and you could almost be in Holland. On
occasion I find myself considering a detour that will take me through a
village just that I am on road that it is not as exposed.

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.

chris French wrote:

>> We were planning on about 3 days cycling. Bearing in mind that we
>> intend to pootle, enjoy the scenery and stop for lots of snacks and
>> drinks, about how many miles do you think we can cover?

> I suggest aiming at around 40 per day, in cycling time no more than 3-4
> hours even at a moderate pace so plenty of time for tea and cakes :)

It depends on the amount of time spent on and off the bike of course,
but people are usually amazed how much distance they can cover in a day.
As the OP and her companion are already conditioned utility cyclists I
would suggest 60 a day would be more satisfying. It's still only 5 hours
at 12mph, or 6 at 10 mph. Break that up into pre-lunch, post-lunch, and
post-tea and it's no more than a couple of hours per session.

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

passing tyke wrote:
> Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.
>
> My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.
>
> We are female and 50 years old. Neither of us is an experienced long
> haul cyclist, but we are both well used to cycling as a means of getting
> round our rather hilly home town.
>
> We both have OK bikes, but nothing very special. Mine is a 3 year old
> Giant hybrid (cost £200) and my friend a brand new Orbea town/hybrid
> (cost £300).
>
> We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or
> Youth Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the country
> before. Is it as flat as people say? Are there any nice routes you
> could recommend?
>
> We want something scenic and free from heavy traffic. Looking at the
> map I fancy getting the train to King's Lynn or thereabouts, going round
> the coast as far as feasible, trying also to take in some of the broads,
> and then getting the train back from wherever we end up.
>
> We were planning on about 3 days cycling. Bearing in mind that we
> intend to pootle, enjoy the scenery and stop for lots of snacks and
> drinks, about how many miles do you think we can cover?

Advice from a Norfolk resident -- it is not flat -- but the hills are
only modest climbs.
Buy a decent map -- if I am out of my known patch I use the AA 1 inch
to 3.5 miles. Look at all the B roads and small lanes -- they are quiet
and pleasant to cycle -- avoid the A roads at all costs.
Kings lynn -- going east -- I would go to Castle Acre -- great cafe
that always welcomes cyclists -- Willow - I think, then up to Houghton
Hall -- stop and have a look round -- then the back roads to Holkham
hall -- entering through the arch from the South, then past the
obelisk-- stop and look around. Go to Wells , find your accomodation --
go and have a look at the beach etc. That is Day 1 -- plan your own
from there on.

Look at a good pub guide before you start -- work out possible lunch
stops.

Cley is nice, good pubs good circular walk to Blakeney. Holt is
attractive too

I would only aim for 40 miles -- you could do more I am sure -- but
relax and look and enjoy yourselves --dont aim to get maximum miles
done -- stop and look -- after all it is a holiday.

Best wishes
Roger

Dave Kahn wrote:

> It depends on the amount of time spent on and off the bike of course,
> but people are usually amazed how much distance they can cover in a day.
> As the OP and her companion are already conditioned utility cyclists I
> would suggest 60 a day would be more satisfying. It's still only 5 hours
> at 12mph, or 6 at 10 mph. Break that up into pre-lunch, post-lunch, and
> post-tea and it's no more than a couple of hours per session.

Depends. If you are doing the Norfolk Coast from Kings Lynn I would say
that is too far to consider in a day. You will want to stop of at
Sandringham no doubt on the way to Hunstanton (Old Hunstanton is much
nicer than the main town) which will probably end up as one day but not
a lot of distance if you spend much time looking round Sandringham. Then
there time for swimming and sightseeing in the towns. You could do 60 a
day but you would miss out on a lot in favour of mileage.

The book http://www.cyclenorfolk.co.uk/guidebookmain/main.htm is worth
getting at £3 and describes the Norfolk Coast Cycleway from Kings Lynn
to Cromer (it carries on to Yarmouth)

--
Tony

Anon

In message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
<[email protected]> writes
>Dave Kahn wrote:
>> It depends on the amount of time spent on and off the bike of
>>course, but people are usually amazed how much distance they can
>>cover in a day. As the OP and her companion are already conditioned
>>utility cyclists I would suggest 60 a day would be more satisfying.
>>It's still only 5 hours at 12mph, or 6 at 10 mph. Break that up into
>>pre-lunch, post-lunch, and post-tea and it's no more than a couple of
>>hours per session.
>>

>Depends. If you are doing the Norfolk Coast from Kings Lynn I would
>say that is too far to consider in a day. You will want to stop of at
>Sandringham no doubt on the way to Hunstanton (Old Hunstanton is much
>nicer than the main town) which will probably end up as one day but not
>a lot of distance if you spend much time looking round Sandringham.
>Then there time for swimming and sightseeing in the towns. You could
>do 60 a day but you would miss out on a lot in favour of mileage.

That was the sort of view I was taking. I based the 40 miles on my own
touring, ok I often have a full camping load, but rarely do more than 50
, and usually work on an average of 40-50 mpd, this is what I've found
I've ended up doing, rather than a target, I certainly could cover more
if I wanted to, but prefer a few tea stops, nosing around museums, and
little towns, or just resting and enjoying the view :)

Also 50 + can still be a lot for even a regular utlity cyclist if their
journeys are short.
--
Chris French

chris French wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
> <[email protected]> writes

>> Depends. If you are doing the Norfolk Coast from Kings Lynn I would
>> say that is too far to consider in a day. You will want to stop of at
>> Sandringham no doubt on the way to Hunstanton (Old Hunstanton is much
>> nicer than the main town) which will probably end up as one day but
>> not a lot of distance if you spend much time looking round
>> Sandringham. Then there time for swimming and sightseeing in the
>> towns. You could do 60 a day but you would miss out on a lot in
>> favour of mileage.

> That was the sort of view I was taking. I based the 40 miles on my own
> touring, ok I often have a full camping load, but rarely do more than 50
> , and usually work on an average of 40-50 mpd, this is what I've found
> I've ended up doing, rather than a target, I certainly could cover more
> if I wanted to, but prefer a few tea stops, nosing around museums, and
> little towns, or just resting and enjoying the view :)

OK, looks like I'm over-ruled. :)

> Also 50 + can still be a lot for even a regular utlity cyclist if their
> journeys are short.

It can be, but people are often surprised that what they thought were
ambitious target mileages are achieved hours earlier than expected. But
as I said originally, it does largely depend how they want to divide
their time between cycling and resting / sight-seeing.

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

"passing tyke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.
>
> My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.
>
> We are female and 50 years old. Neither of us is an experienced long haul
> cyclist, but we are both well used to cycling as a means of getting round
> our rather hilly home town.
>
> We both have OK bikes, but nothing very special. Mine is a 3 year old
> Giant hybrid (cost £200) and my friend a brand new Orbea town/hybrid (cost
> £300).
>
> We are thinking of going to East Anglia, and staying in B and Bs or Youth
> Hostels. Neither of us have ever been to this part of the country before.
> Is it as flat as people say? Are there any nice routes you could
> recommend?
>
> We want something scenic and free from heavy traffic. Looking at the map
> I fancy getting the train to King's Lynn or thereabouts, going round the
> coast as far as feasible, trying also to take in some of the broads, and
> then getting the train back from wherever we end up.
>
> We were planning on about 3 days cycling. Bearing in mind that we intend
> to pootle, enjoy the scenery and stop for lots of snacks and drinks, about
> how many miles do you think we can cover?

If you go south & west of KL, you go into the fens which are very, very
flat. No hills, but beware of the wind, which can sap strength in an instant
as it can come straight in off the North Sea and/or across mile upon mile of
field without a hedgerow in sight to break it.

The other bit of flat is on the east of Norfolk, over on the Broads.
Picturesque, loads of pubs, lots of water.

Between, is some lovely undulating countryside with many a Ye Olde Worlde
Tea Shoppe and Pubbe many of which welcome cyclists.

The visitor centre at Sandringham has good grub and Sandringham is worth a
visit. Castle Acre has an *excellent* tea shop in the Willow (Cottage) at
one end of the main street next to the abbey (opposite end to the castle).
The homemade soup is *delicious* and the cakes are too. The butternut squash
soup is wonderful, as is the sweet potato and roasted red pepper soup...
YUM.... Said establishment is the one which looked after yours truly and my
injured other half after a hit-and-run where my other half was knocked off
his bike.

If you go to the Norfolk CTC web site at

http://www.norfolkda2.freeserve.co.uk/

enter the site then click on the 'cafes etc' link along the top of the site,
you'll get a huge list of tried and tested cafes :)

Another useful publication is this, which I recommend,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...30134/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/202-2956235-6589423

As is this, which I also recommend, the Goldeneye map of cycle routes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...30206/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_8_3/202-2956235-6589423

Norfolk gives excellent cycling for tourists - it has loads of little
country lanes which wind here and there with relatively little traffic. I
live here, and even though I wasn't born here, I'm happy to spend the rest
of my days here. I never get tired of cycling round Norfolk.

Cheers, helen s

On 07/17/2005 19:45:29 Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:

> chris French wrote:

>> In message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
>> <[email protected]> writes

>>> Depends. If you are doing the Norfolk Coast from Kings Lynn I would say
>>> that is too far to consider in a day. You will want to stop of at
>>> Sandringham no doubt on the way to Hunstanton (Old Hunstanton is much
>>> nicer than the main town) which will probably end up as one day but not
>>> a lot of distance if you spend much time looking round Sandringham.
>>> Then there time for swimming and sightseeing in the towns. You could do
>>> 60 a day but you would miss out on a lot in favour of mileage.

>> That was the sort of view I was taking. I based the 40 miles on my own
>> touring, ok I often have a full camping load, but rarely do more than 50
>> , and usually work on an average of 40-50 mpd, this is what I've found
>> I've ended up doing, rather than a target, I certainly could cover more
>> if I wanted to, but prefer a few tea stops, nosing around museums, and
>> little towns, or just resting and enjoying the view :)

> OK, looks like I'm over-ruled. :)

>> Also 50 + can still be a lot for even a regular utlity cyclist if their
>> journeys are short.

> It can be, but people are often surprised that what they thought were
> ambitious target mileages are achieved hours earlier than expected. But
> as I said originally, it does largely depend how they want to divide their
> time between cycling and resting / sight-seeing.

I agree, even going out for a simple pootle, I rarely do less than 30
miles and often do 50 or 60 miles, I would expect to cover 80 to 100
miles a day if touring seriously.
--

Buck wrote:
> On 07/17/2005 19:45:29 Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > chris French wrote:

> >> Also 50 + can still be a lot for even a regular utlity cyclist if their
> >> journeys are short.

> > It can be, but people are often surprised that what they thought were
> > ambitious target mileages are achieved hours earlier than expected. But
> > as I said originally, it does largely depend how they want to divide their
> > time between cycling and resting / sight-seeing.

> I agree, even going out for a simple pootle, I rarely do less than 30
> miles and often do 50 or 60 miles, I would expect to cover 80 to 100
> miles a day if touring seriously.

That depends on the nature of the touring and the terrain. If I am
taking camping gear and the terrain is hilly then even 60 miles is a
big day. On the other hand, lightweight 'credit card' touring in gentle
terrain could be 100 mile days.

...d

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:41:00 +0100, passing tyke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.
>
>My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.

<snip>

Thanks to all who responded - plenty of food for thought there and
we'll get some of the suggested maps and books for more details.
I think we might plan on 40 miles a day, start from Norwich, up
through the broads and then west along the coast to King's Lynn.
Sound OK?

And where exactly can we go swimming?

"pasing tyke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:41:00 +0100, passing tyke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Comments / advice / suggestions wanted.
>>
>>My friend and I are planning a short cycling holiday.

> <snip>
>
> Thanks to all who responded - plenty of food for thought there and
> we'll get some of the suggested maps and books for more details.
> I think we might plan on 40 miles a day, start from Norwich, up
> through the broads and then west along the coast to King's Lynn.
> Sound OK?
>
> And where exactly can we go swimming?

Well there is this fairly large body of water called the North Sea...

Cheers, helen s

Dave Kahn <[email protected]> writes:

>It can be, but people are often surprised that what they thought were
>ambitious target mileages are achieved hours earlier than expected. But
>as I said originally, it does largely depend how they want to divide
>their time between cycling and resting / sight-seeing.

Route choice plays a large role as well. If you follow an NCN route and
spent a lot of time opening gates, pushing your bike up offroad vertical
bits, or just riding on muddy trails, that all slows you down a lot.

Roos

wafflycat wrote:

> "pasing tyke" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> And where exactly can we go swimming?
>>

> Well there is this fairly large body of water called the North Sea...

Although don't be fooled by names such as Wells next the Sea and Holme
next the Sea which aren't!

--
Tony

Anon

> wafflycat wrote:
>>
>> "pasing tyke" <[email protected]> wrote
>>>
>>> And where exactly can we go swimming?
>>>

>> Well there is this fairly large body of water called the North Sea...
>>

> Although don't be fooled by names such as Wells next the Sea and Holme
> next the Sea which aren't!

These days Wells is indeed, next the sea - a short walk indeed, only a mile,
as I have walked there on many an occasion. See
http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/content/articles/2005/06/13/coast05_beach_guide_wells_feature.shtml
I have dabbled my feet in the water here.

Holme is also not exactly miles and miles form the Sea :)

A web site about cycling in Norfolk is at
http://www.visitnorfolk.co.uk/norfolk/candw.htm

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat wrote:

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>> Although don't be fooled by names such as Wells next the Sea and
>> Holme next the Sea which aren't!

> These days Wells is indeed, next the sea - a short walk indeed, only
> a mile, as I have walked there on many an occasion. See
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/content/articles/2005/06/13/coast05_beach_guide_wells_feature.shtml
> I have dabbled my feet in the water here.

In my dictionary (OED) "next" means "being or positioned or living
nearest" which isn't a mile an a half away along a road and across the
sands from the lifeboat station. In our family its known as Wells next
the Salt Marsh! YMMV. ;-)

--
Tony

Anon

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> In my dictionary (OED) "next" means "being or positioned or living
> nearest" which isn't a mile an a half away along a road and across the
> sands from the lifeboat station. In our family its known as Wells next
> the Salt Marsh! YMMV. ;-)

Or Wells-next-the-Mud when the tide is out.
French's chippy is good, though.

Blakeney point is shingly, Brancaster sandy (and a fantastic wide
hard-packed surface that's used by kite buggys). Best in the week -
can get rather busy at weekends. Holkham is also popular, but not
suitable for the easily-embarrassed.

-adrian