Advice - Wireless Cycling Computers?

Mountaindog

Jul 31, 2009
Hi

Does anyone have any adviceor recommendations. I am about to buy a new cycle computer - my Polar cs200 has died on me. In addition to the normal features, I am interested in having an altimeter function (and possibly a power meter - although this is less important). Polar 725x or cs400 sound OK but these are only manufacturers marketing claims

Any recent experience or advice much appreciated

Thanks

Mountaindog said:
Hi

Does anyone have any adviceor recommendations. I am about to buy a new cycle computer - my Polar cs200 has died on me. In addition to the normal features, I am interested in having an altimeter function (and possibly a power meter - although this is less important). Polar 725x or cs400 sound OK but these are only manufacturers marketing claims

Any recent experience or advice much appreciated

Thanks
I'd take a careful look at the Garmin Edge product line. Garmin has long been a leader in GPS technology through it's aeronautic and marine programs and, of course, now sponsors the Gamin professional cycling team.

The Edge 705 with Heart Rate monitor, speed and cadence gives you all the data you need and is compatible with third-party (Ant+) enabled power meters.

Disclaimer: I do indeed sell Garmin products. Polar makes a nice product as well but to get the power function you are going to spend $150 more because only the CS600 and CS600X provide this and both retail for around $700. You can get an Edge 705 for $499.
Anything with a GPS should have an altimeter function.

DataGeek said:
I'd take a careful look at the Garmin Edge product line. Garmin has long been a leader in GPS technology through it's aeronautic and marine programs and, of course, now sponsors the Gamin professional cycling team.

The Edge 705 with Heart Rate monitor, speed and cadence gives you all the data you need and is compatible with third-party (Ant+) enabled power meters.

Disclaimer: I do indeed sell Garmin products. Polar makes a nice product as well but to get the power function you are going to spend $150 more because only the CS600 and CS600X provide this and both retail for around $700. You can get an Edge 705 for $499.
Anything with a GPS should have an altimeter function.
Just finished installing a 705 to my bike tonight - seems straightforward enough. The altitude function was a big attraction for those big hill days, but main one was just not having to rely on wireless transmitters - my Flightdeck drives me nuts with it's lack of reliable operation. Also, rear wheel sensor (if reliable ) allows me to get speed when on the wind trainer which is a plus - front-wheel shimano setup no help!

Not having used it yet, where does HR display - i.e. in what mode/screen? (figure a seller may know!?)

Cheers,

Cam