Air Shock Fit - in general

Chris

Guest
After reading Per Lowdin's post regarding his Float, I began wondering...how do you measure the
eye-to-eye length of an air shock? (yes, with a ruler, but...)

Do you do it when the air is out with the shock compressed? Pressurized, but off the bike? If the
second is correct, wouldn't the amount of air in the shock create sight variations? On the bike, and
"properly" (despite personal preference in air pressures) inflated? What if your seals are gone, and
the weight of the bike is already compressing the shock?

Chris (needs to replace his **** Creek shock)

> After reading Per Lowdin's post regarding his Float, I began
wondering...how
> do you measure the eye-to-eye length of an air shock? (yes, with a ruler, but...)
>
> Do you do it when the air is out with the shock compressed? Pressurized, but off the bike? If the
> second is correct, wouldn't the amount of air in the shock create sight variations? On the bike,
> and "properly" (despite personal preference in air pressures) inflated? What if your seals are
> gone, and the weight of the bike is already compressing the shock?

It's the fully extended length of the shock.

Bill "sounding authoritative" S.

Sorni wrote:
> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>After reading Per Lowdin's post regarding his Float, I began
>
> wondering...how
>
>>do you measure the eye-to-eye length of an air shock? (yes, with a ruler, but...)
>>
>>Do you do it when the air is out with the shock compressed? Pressurized, but off the bike? If the
>>second is correct, wouldn't the amount of air in the shock create sight variations? On the bike,
>>and "properly" (despite personal preference in air pressures) inflated? What if your seals are
>>gone, and the weight of the bike is already compressing the shock?
>

> It's the fully extended length of the shock.
>
> Bill "sounding authoritative" S.

However, sine the float has a negative air chamber, his question makes sense -- i.e., if you don't
have 150 psi in mine (guessing somewhat), it's not fully extended.

David

David Kunz wrote:
> Sorni wrote:
>
>> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> After reading Per Lowdin's post regarding his Float, I began
>>

>> wondering...how
>>
>>> do you measure the eye-to-eye length of an air shock? (yes, with a ruler, but...)
>>>
>>> Do you do it when the air is out with the shock compressed? Pressurized, but off the bike? If
>>> the second is correct, wouldn't the amount of air in the shock create sight variations? On the
>>> bike, and "properly" (despite personal preference in air pressures) inflated? What if your seals
>>> are gone, and the weight of the bike is already compressing the shock?
>>

>> It's the fully extended length of the shock.
>>
>> Bill "sounding authoritative" S.
>>

> However, sine the float has a negative air chamber, his question makes sense -- i.e., if you don't
> have 150 psi in mine (guessing somewhat), it's not fully extended.

The pressure in the negative air chamber is related to the pressure in the main chamber so unless
something is broken the shock will be fully extended at any pressure. There is no separate valve to
set the negative pressure, right?

Greg

G.T. wrote:
> David Kunz wrote:
>
>> Sorni wrote:
>>
>>> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> wondering...how

>>> It's the fully extended length of the shock.
>>>
>>> Bill "sounding authoritative" S.
>>>

>> However, sine the float has a negative air chamber, his question makes sense -- i.e., if you
>> don't have 150 psi in mine (guessing somewhat), it's not fully extended.
>>

> The pressure in the negative air chamber is related to the pressure in the main chamber so unless
> something is broken the shock will be fully extended at any pressure. There is no separate valve
> to set the negative pressure, right?
>
> Greg

That's right -- and the valving of the negative air chamber has been a problem for me in the past --
it wants to stick and keep too much pressure in there. I once had so much pressure in there that the
shock pumped up to 250 PSI was only about 1/2 out -- I rode it that way for a couple of weeks hoping
that it would fix itself, but I finally had it sent back to Fox and they fixed it under warranty.

David