Air Shock Fit - in general

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chris, Apr 5, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    After reading Per Lowdin's post regarding his Float, I began wondering...how do you measure the
    eye-to-eye length of an air shock? (yes, with a ruler, but...)

    Do you do it when the air is out with the shock compressed? Pressurized, but off the bike? If the
    second is correct, wouldn't the amount of air in the shock create sight variations? On the bike, and
    "properly" (despite personal preference in air pressures) inflated? What if your seals are gone, and
    the weight of the bike is already compressing the shock?

    Chris (needs to replace his Crap Creek shock)

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > After reading Per Lowdin's post regarding his Float, I began
    wondering...how
    > do you measure the eye-to-eye length of an air shock? (yes, with a ruler, but...)
    >
    > Do you do it when the air is out with the shock compressed? Pressurized, but off the bike? If the
    > second is correct, wouldn't the amount of air in the shock create sight variations? On the bike,
    > and "properly" (despite personal preference in air pressures) inflated? What if your seals are
    > gone, and the weight of the bike is already compressing the shock?

    It's the fully extended length of the shock.

    Bill "sounding authoritative" S.

  3. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>After reading Per Lowdin's post regarding his Float, I began
    >
    > wondering...how
    >
    >>do you measure the eye-to-eye length of an air shock? (yes, with a ruler, but...)
    >>
    >>Do you do it when the air is out with the shock compressed? Pressurized, but off the bike? If the
    >>second is correct, wouldn't the amount of air in the shock create sight variations? On the bike,
    >>and "properly" (despite personal preference in air pressures) inflated? What if your seals are
    >>gone, and the weight of the bike is already compressing the shock?
    >

    > It's the fully extended length of the shock.
    >
    > Bill "sounding authoritative" S.

    However, sine the float has a negative air chamber, his question makes sense -- i.e., if you don't
    have 150 psi in mine (guessing somewhat), it's not fully extended.

    David

  4. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    David Kunz wrote:
    > Sorni wrote:
    >
    >> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>> After reading Per Lowdin's post regarding his Float, I began
    >>

    >> wondering...how
    >>
    >>> do you measure the eye-to-eye length of an air shock? (yes, with a ruler, but...)
    >>>
    >>> Do you do it when the air is out with the shock compressed? Pressurized, but off the bike? If
    >>> the second is correct, wouldn't the amount of air in the shock create sight variations? On the
    >>> bike, and "properly" (despite personal preference in air pressures) inflated? What if your seals
    >>> are gone, and the weight of the bike is already compressing the shock?
    >>

    >> It's the fully extended length of the shock.
    >>
    >> Bill "sounding authoritative" S.
    >>

    > However, sine the float has a negative air chamber, his question makes sense -- i.e., if you don't
    > have 150 psi in mine (guessing somewhat), it's not fully extended.

    The pressure in the negative air chamber is related to the pressure in the main chamber so unless
    something is broken the shock will be fully extended at any pressure. There is no separate valve to
    set the negative pressure, right?

    Greg

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    G.T. wrote:
    > David Kunz wrote:
    >
    >> Sorni wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]...

    >>> wondering...how

    >>> It's the fully extended length of the shock.
    >>>
    >>> Bill "sounding authoritative" S.
    >>>

    >> However, sine the float has a negative air chamber, his question makes sense -- i.e., if you
    >> don't have 150 psi in mine (guessing somewhat), it's not fully extended.
    >>

    > The pressure in the negative air chamber is related to the pressure in the main chamber so unless
    > something is broken the shock will be fully extended at any pressure. There is no separate valve
    > to set the negative pressure, right?
    >
    > Greg

    That's right -- and the valving of the negative air chamber has been a problem for me in the past --
    it wants to stick and keep too much pressure in there. I once had so much pressure in there that the
    shock pumped up to 250 PSI was only about 1/2 out -- I rode it that way for a couple of weeks hoping
    that it would fix itself, but I finally had it sent back to Fox and they fixed it under warranty.

    David