Aluminium versus carbon

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Anders Bengtson, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Hej Why do people fancy carbonforks instead of aluminiumforks. Normally they are not lighter but
    harsher to ride and more expensive. Anders Gazelle V1

    Tags:

  2. > Why do people fancy carbonforks instead of aluminiumforks. Normally they
    are
    > not lighter but harsher to ride and more expensive.

    People may debate the ride qualities of carbon over other materials (I happen to think they're one
    of the best things to come along in terms of handling & ride qualities, but others will differ), but
    I don't know of anyone who thinks that aluminum forks are as light as carbon. I'm sure a very light
    aluminum fork might be lighter than a very heavy carbon fork, but as a rule, you can safely build a
    carbon-fiber fork considerably lighter than one made of aluminum.

  3. a bengston-<< Why do people fancy carbonforks instead of aluminiumforks. Normally they are not
    lighter but harsher to ride and more expensive.

    Lessee..cheaper to make(Taiwan/China), look better, easier to market...

    WhoGAS about performance??

    >Hej Why do people fancy carbonforks instead of aluminiumforks. Normally they are not lighter but
    >harsher to ride and more expensive.

    Properly designed and built, a carbon fork will be stronger and stiffer than a similar weight
    aluminum fork.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  5. Tdwfl

    Tdwfl Guest

    > "Anders Bengtson" [email protected] wrote: >Why do people fancy
    carbonforks instead of aluminiumforks. Normally they are
    >not lighter but harsher to ride and more expensive.

    I'm no expert but speaking from personal experience, I prefer a good quality carbon fork. I bought
    an old Cannondale roadbike with an aluminum fork I found a high quality (I think) carbon/carbon fork
    locally at a good price and it rides noticeably better when compared back to back to back with the
    old Al fork. The carbon fork/headset/stem combination was lighter than the one it replaced although
    that was not my motivation for changing. I also considered that there are a great many manufacturers
    that shun carbon for frames but readily use carbon forks.

    tim

  6. > Lessee..cheaper to make(Taiwan/China), look better, easier to market...

    Carbon cheaper than aluminum? In our dreams. Aluminum can be sourced, refined and fabricated
    considerably less-expensively than carbon-fiber. I spoke with someone years ago about this (around
    1990 if I recall correctly)- the dream of very inexpensive carbon-fiber replacing other materials in
    everyday use. He explained to me all the reasons why this was unlikely to ever happen (why other
    materials would always maintain a cost advantage). So yes, China might be able to make carbon fiber
    cheaper than anyone else, but they'd be able to make aluminum even cheaper yet.

  7. [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    > Except the $30 carbon fork is a reality, you ought to know, TREK uses them.

    What are you saying? Are you speaking of the Bontrager? I've heard nothing but good reviews? -a