Aluminium versus carbon

Anders Bengtson

Guest
Hej Why do people fancy carbonforks instead of aluminiumforks. Normally they are not lighter but
harsher to ride and more expensive. Anders Gazelle V1

> Why do people fancy carbonforks instead of aluminiumforks. Normally they
are
> not lighter but harsher to ride and more expensive.

People may debate the ride qualities of carbon over other materials (I happen to think they're one
of the best things to come along in terms of handling & ride qualities, but others will differ), but
I don't know of anyone who thinks that aluminum forks are as light as carbon. I'm sure a very light
aluminum fork might be lighter than a very heavy carbon fork, but as a rule, you can safely build a
carbon-fiber fork considerably lighter than one made of aluminum.

a bengston-<< Why do people fancy carbonforks instead of aluminiumforks. Normally they are not
lighter but harsher to ride and more expensive.

Lessee..cheaper to make(Taiwan/China), look better, easier to market...

WhoGAS about performance??

>Hej Why do people fancy carbonforks instead of aluminiumforks. Normally they are not lighter but
>harsher to ride and more expensive.

Properly designed and built, a carbon fork will be stronger and stiffer than a similar weight
aluminum fork.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

> "Anders Bengtson" [email protected] wrote: >Why do people fancy
carbonforks instead of aluminiumforks. Normally they are
>not lighter but harsher to ride and more expensive.

I'm no expert but speaking from personal experience, I prefer a good quality carbon fork. I bought
an old Cannondale roadbike with an aluminum fork I found a high quality (I think) carbon/carbon fork
locally at a good price and it rides noticeably better when compared back to back to back with the
old Al fork. The carbon fork/headset/stem combination was lighter than the one it replaced although
that was not my motivation for changing. I also considered that there are a great many manufacturers
that shun carbon for frames but readily use carbon forks.

tim

> Lessee..cheaper to make(Taiwan/China), look better, easier to market...

Carbon cheaper than aluminum? In our dreams. Aluminum can be sourced, refined and fabricated
considerably less-expensively than carbon-fiber. I spoke with someone years ago about this (around
1990 if I recall correctly)- the dream of very inexpensive carbon-fiber replacing other materials in
everyday use. He explained to me all the reasons why this was unlikely to ever happen (why other
materials would always maintain a cost advantage). So yes, China might be able to make carbon fiber
cheaper than anyone else, but they'd be able to make aluminum even cheaper yet.

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
> Except the $30 carbon fork is a reality, you ought to know, TREK uses them.

What are you saying? Are you speaking of the Bontrager? I've heard nothing but good reviews? -a