Amstel Gold Race 2006

cyclingheroes

Sep 9, 2005
No more cobblestones...The Ardennes are coming! But first the Amstel Gold Race.

A startlist is here:
http://www.cyclingstartlists.com/2006/04Apr/02AGR.htm

Last year Danilo Di Luca won (for those who don't remember, Boogerd thought he had Freire in his wheel, but it was Di Luca....) but he won't start at the AGR 2006.

So who are the big names of AGR this year. Valverde and Boogerd did pretty well in the Vuelta Pais Vasco last week. Rebellin too... Or Samuel Sanchez??? I think that Philippe Gilbert could do well and Boogerd wants his second win after 1999 and several podium places. Other favourites are Paolo Bettini and maybe Kim Kirchen and Karsten Kroon....

I like the look of Sanchez if not recovered then Valverde..... and WBT will be there ! I'm getting the Eurostar to Brussels then down to Maastricht.... I'll get some shots for the forum.... :)

cyclingheroes said:

A startlist is here:
http://www.cyclingstartlists.com/2006/04Apr/02AGR.htm

Last year Danilo Di Luca won (for those who don't remember, Boogerd thought he had Freire in his wheel, but it was Di Luca....) but he won't start at the AGR 2006.

So who are the big names of AGR this year. Valverde and Boogerd did pretty well in the Vuelta Pais Vasco last week. Rebellin too... Or Samuel Sanchez??? I think that Philippe Gilbert could do well and Boogerd wants his second win after 1999 and several podium places. Other favourites are Paolo Bettini and maybe Kim Kirchen and Karsten Kroon....

whiteboytrash said:
I like the look of Sanchez if not recovered then Valverde..... and WBT will be there ! I'm getting the Eurostar to Brussels then down to Maastricht.... I'll get some shots for the forum.... :)
See you in Maastricht ... i am the guy with the ugly face:p

cyclingheroes said:
See you in Maastricht ... i am the guy with the ugly face:p
If you up for a couple of cheeky beers let me know and I'll PM you my mobile number.... will be down there with Mrs.WBT(aka WGT) but should be able to sneak away for a few beers ! :p

whiteboytrash said:
If you up for a couple of cheeky beers let me know and I'll PM you my mobile number.... will be down there with Mrs.WBT(aka WGT) but should be able to sneak away for a few beers ! :p
They forgot to put Astarloa on the list.
He and Valverde are my picks.

I'm going for Astarloa (he'll be chomping at the bit - especially as Barloworld were denied start placings at P-R, RVV) too.

Bettini, Freire will be in contention.

Kirchen could be a very shrewd choice by CH.

My dark horse : Erik Dekker.

(don't forget Boogerd - and Rebellin!!!!!!!!!)

I just want Roger Hammond to finish in the Pro Tour points region, to give GBr our first pro tour point (didn't get any last year :mad: ). If he won that would be nice :D .More realisticly, Rebellin is my pick for who will most likely win.

cyclingheroes said:
Hey! Where's George Hincapie ? :D

My money's on Alejandro Valverde with a hedge on the Cricket,Paolo Bettini .

lw

Where has Rebellin been? Haven't seen any results from him this year. I see he did get a few PT points somewhere.

Is he peaking for AGR or is he just having a bad year?

DiabloScott said:
Where has Rebellin been? Haven't seen any results from him this year. I see he did get a few PT points somewhere.

didnt rebellion do OK in a recent race?
He's gonna be there in Amstel Fleche and Liege as always but I dont think he's blazing the way he was 2 years ago or whenever.

DiabloScott said:

He did very well in the hills of the Tour of Basque country, he is ready!

cyclingheroes said:
gerolsteiner anounced that Davide Rebellin has broken a rib during the Tour of Basque country (he crashed on April 9). He had problems with his breathing but wants to start at the Amstel Gold. He will have a check-up on Friday and than decide if it's possible to start or not.

Source:
http://www.gerolsteiner.de/index.php?id=913&newsid=1988&backto=147&cHash=d3ce1a660dhttp://www.gerolsteiner.de/index.php?id=913&newsid=1988&backto=147&cHash=d3ce1a660dhttp://www.gerolsteiner.de/index.php?id=913&newsid=1988&backto=147&cHash=d3ce1a660d
Thanks mate u are the tap of Euro info.... this forum needs you ! many thanks :)

bobke said:
get a room you two :eek:
Your off topic again.

I think Rebellin with his cracked ribs will have a hard time.
Astarloa, Valverde
ERIK DEKKER
cant cnt Rabo out since they think they own the race what with the home crowd

Boogerd ought to get this after a 1st, 4 2nds and a 3rd. Doesn't mean he will. But.

I'm going with Valverde. Friere could figure, along with Astarloa. Voigt to keep things interesting.

I'd like to see a strong ride from Axel Merckx and something from Azevedo.