Are SeatPost Shims a Bad Idea..?

Don't go for shim, I'm using one and its drving me crazy with creaking sound esp hill climbing, you need to oil the contact point between the shim and frame every 2 weeks or you'll get that creaking sound.

Perhaps it's just me, but having a shim would bug me, even if it didn't creak. It's makeshift. Every time I looked at the saddle or seat post, I would be reminded I have something makeshift on my main ride. With a CF seat post, a shim is a risk. Definitely don't use a shim with a Record CF seat post. They will fracture easily enough without a shim. There are several threads about how comparatively fragile the Record CF seat post is.

Does anyone know where I can get a 26.8mm to 27.2mm shim? If not what is the best way to fit an Easton CT2 carbon fiber seat tube into an aluminum frame at 27.2?

Thanks,
Ken

field3 said:
Does anyone know where I can get a 26.8mm to 27.2mm shim? If not what is the best way to fit an Easton CT2 carbon fiber seat tube into an aluminum frame at 27.2?

Thanks,
Ken
That's only a difference of .4mm or 0.0157 inches. That means a true cylindrical shim would need a wall thickness of .2mm or just 0.0078 inches. If in fact it does not tighten enough to prevent slipping as is, just try wrapping a piece of aluminum foil around the post before inserting into the seat tube. It's more common to use a piece cut from an aluminum can, but at about 0.020 inches thick, that's probably too large.