Are you drinking too much water?

In article <[email protected]>, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 07:08:23 GMT, Van Bagnol <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >(4) The "drink eight glasses of water a day" mantra is simplistic, naive, and parroted
> > everywhere. It appears to have come from a misquoted study where the body was shown to
> > lose/hydrolyze 2 litres of water daily. However, what was overlooked was that the body
> > ingests/ synthesizes 1 l from food and metabolic processes, leaving a net deficit of just one
> > litre. So it's not 8 glasses of drinking _water_, but rather 4 cups of fluid from various
> > sources.
>
> But not coffee, tea, or Coke, cause with the ADH-inhibitors contained therein, viz, caffeine, you
> also lose more.

I'd read through that debate too. The diuretic properties of the above beverages reduce the net
absorption but they don't reverse it entirely. You'll pee more than you would from plain water, but
you won't pee more water than you take in.

> Also, it just differs mightily from person to person. Personally, I sweat like a pig if it's hot,
> and in hot weather I need at least 2 liters a day even without excercise.

IIRC, the figures I quoted were for a 63 kg woman, under "normal" everyday conditions which doesn't
include explicit exercise.

Men sweat more and tend to weigh more, so especially in the sun, yes, the figures would definitely
be higher.

Van

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 16:21:55 GMT, Van Bagnol <[email protected]> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, Jasper Janssen
><[email protected]> wrote:

>> But not coffee, tea, or Coke, cause with the ADH-inhibitors contained therein, viz, caffeine, you
>> also lose more.
>
>I'd read through that debate too. The diuretic properties of the above beverages reduce the net
>absorption but they don't reverse it entirely. You'll pee more than you would from plain water, but
>you won't pee more water than you take in.

Sure, but then you need to drink 8 or 12 cups instead of 4.

>IIRC, the figures I quoted were for a 63 kg woman, under "normal" everyday conditions which doesn't
>include explicit exercise.

Ah, right. Well, I'm male, weigh over twice that, it's been a hot couple of weeks, and I do get out
to excercise. That explains a lot.

Jasper