Armstrong is no longer snob

I dfidn't know that about Anquetil, although I know he openly favored the use of drugs in cycling.
but I did know that Merckx was booed and fans cheered when he lost.

Agreed about Virenque, the press was hard on him, but he did after all admit to doping, was kicked
out of the sport, and made the statement in his book that I referred. He's however much more
accepted even with his past than Armstrong is. I don't think it's a question of aloofness, I think
it's because he's about the best thing the French have going for them in the TdF.

All they can say about Lance is that
1) He's too good, He must be doping
2) The team dumped some medical supplies in the trash somewhere (a long drawn out investigation
led nowhere)
3) One of Lance's fitness coaches is an Italian doctor who might have condoned EPO use in
other cyclists.

Yes, it was a fraction who booed, I don't want to get the impression that it was unanamous. And
thankfully, respect for the man's acheivements and professionalism seem to be winning the day. I
guess that's the thing about being a legend. But the French press does still try now and again to
muckrake a bit. I think that wrt LA they lead more than reflect public opinion. After all, they are
the filter through which the public sees Armstrong. Here's a recent example-

After the crash in Mieux in stage one, I saw an interview with Armstrong and one with Virenque.
Armstrong made one comment about being angry about the crash. He didn't explain why, whether it was
because of the riders, the planners, himself. The French press spun it that he was really angry with
the tour organizers. Virenque on the other hand spent a good bit of time blasting the tour
organizers for the way the stage was configured. It wasn't mentioned when they talked about
Virenque's reaction.

Lemond- (a nice French name even) riding for a Belgium team and who backed off when he was clearly
stronger in the 1985 Tour and allowed the team leader to take his fifth Tour. And even put up with
Hinault's braking his word about not going for a 6th, and put a pretty face on the whole affaire.
The pair arrived at the summit of the Tour's most famous climb at Alpe d'Huez side-by-side after
Lemond was ordered to slow down by the team manager. What's not to adore?

"Bob" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:y2jUa.146260$ye4.100462@sccrnsc01...

> trg wrote:
>
> > The French were bitter about the loss of their heros at Festina, and they took it out on
> > Armstrong and USPS, a logical choice,
but
> > un ugly and unbecoming act nonetheless.
>
> this is not entirely true (imo). a fraction of the public certainly used
the
> drug issue to vent its frustration at not having a real french contender
for
> so long, but it also happened in a climate where the sport was perceived
> be falling apart and all those suspected of being loaded were 'flogged'. virenque never was a hero
> to many in the first place, and he eventually
took
> a much more serious beating than lance in the press and public opinion
(for
> obvious reasons).
>

> > I've been at the final Stage in Paris every year since Indurain. When Armstrong won his first
> > TdF (and second) there were many people next to
me
> > who were booing and whistling (French show of disapproval) each time
Lance
> > or the USPS team car came 'round.
>
> what a shame. do you know that anquetil was commonly booed for a few years of his carreer?
> interestingly, he was also perceived as being aloof and arrogant (of course, the fact that he
> nearly always beat "mister
all-around
> good guy" poulidor should not be ignored). lemond, in turn, never had any kind of serious problem
> in this regard (on the contrary)
>

> > It's just a case of their bitterness and cynicism getting the better
them.

> it's a shame that some morons can't appreciate a great champ and/or excuse his shortcoming.

---

"Laurent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> 2 year ago he was accustomed to receive the prix citron (lemon price) for being snob with the
> international reporters. we can see on this picture that he was angry to see the lemon on the
basket:

While you continue to be a Thorn.

You just cannot relate to a Champion's mentality.

C'est la vie!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/tour03/stage18/ARMSTRONGARANCIE_0028.jpg

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour.php?id=photos/2003/tour03/stage18/FOTOGRAFI-ARMSTRONG_1048

> it's a good thing he stoped to be snob, because cyclism is not a golf tournament

>Lemond- (a nice French name even) riding for a Belgium team and who backed off when he was clearly
>stronger in the 1985 Tour and allowed the team leader to take his fifth Tour. And even put up with
>Hinault's braking his word about not going for a 6th, and put a pretty face on the whole affaire.
>The pair arrived at the summit of the Tour's most famous climb at Alpe d'Huez side-by-side after
>Lemond was ordered to slow down by the team manager. What's not to adore?

LeMond usually spelt his name with a capital "M," which, of course is "world" in French. It's my
memory that the French press went out of its way to spell his name "Lemond" or "Lemmond." In fact,
Greg's name is not French in origin at all. It's really Lemmond, originally, and is Scottish.. They
don't deserve his having a French name, IMO....

"Earle Self" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Oh yes, I understood his mangled meaning perfectly well. I'm also a scarred veteran of having been
> told that I had to be able to ask in "good French" to release my auto from the hotel garage in
> order to make a flight... After all, they "didn't speak English." "Non parl Anglais, non parl
> Allemagne." To have one come on an English-speaking board and refer to LA as a snob set me off.
> They are the worst snobs on Earth, both linguistic and otherwise. Their name-calling someone else
> a "snob" of any sort is low humor, at best. To get his car out of my garage, he'll have to do
> better than "Cyclism." You can like it or not...

You had an idiot to deal with in the parking garage, that doesn't make every person of a whole
country categorized as having the same trait.

Sorry, didn't mean to indicate that incident as anything more than just illustrative.. I've
experienced many more. They are the absolute worst linguistic snobs on Earth. Just ask them. They'll
tell you. I'm still bemused by a Frenchman using the epithet "snob" against any other nationality.
However, the world does change...

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:01:06 -0700, "one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Earle Self" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Oh yes, I understood his mangled meaning perfectly well. I'm also a scarred veteran of having
>> been told that I had to be able to ask in "good French" to release my auto from the hotel garage
>> in order to make a flight... After all, they "didn't speak English." "Non parl Anglais, non parl
>> Allemagne." To have one come on an English-speaking board and refer to LA as a snob set me off.
>> They are the worst snobs on Earth, both linguistic and otherwise. Their name-calling someone else
>> a "snob" of any sort is low humor, at best. To get his car out of my garage, he'll have to do
>> better than "Cyclism." You can like it or not...
>>

>You had an idiot to deal with in the parking garage, that doesn't make every person of a whole
>country categorized as having the same trait.

"Earle Self" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> tell you. I'm still bemused by a Frenchman using the epithet "snob" against any other nationality.
> However, the world does change...

by any stretch of the imagination, someone saying that 'armstrong is no longer a snob' does not
amount to using the epithet "snob" against another nationality. it sounds like your agenda is
greater than you let it appear. what a surprise .....

Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Earle Self" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> tell you. I'm still bemused by a Frenchman using the epithet "snob" against any other
>> nationality. However, the world does change...
>>

> by any stretch of the imagination, someone saying that 'armstrong is no longer a snob' does not
> amount to using the epithet "snob" against another nationality. it sounds like your agenda is
> greater than you let it appear. what a surprise .....

All things and insults aside, Armstrong seems genuinely pleased with this prize...

"Laurent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> 2 year ago he was accustomed to receive the prix citron (lemon price) for being snob with
> the international reporters. we can see on this picture that he was angry to see the lemon
> on the basket:
>
> http://www.lequipe.fr/Xml/Cyclisme/Dossiers/Media/2807_citron_afp.jpg
>
> and now he got the prix orange and he is all smile:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2003/tour03/stage18/ARMSTRONGARANCIE_0028.jpg
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour.php?id=photos/2003/tour03/stage18/FOTOGRAFI-ARMSTRONG_1048
>

> it's a good thing he stoped to be snob, because cyclism is not a golf tournament

I am amazed that anyone could watch this great tour (regardless of who wins) and still be thinking
of things like this. I nominate Laurent for the RBR lemon award.

Bret