Ass chaffing

kopride said:
I rode 175 miles this weekend as part of a charity ride. I need to wear a jock due to prior bouts of epiditimitis, but then I got extreme chaffing from the rear straps on a long ride. I am feeling it today. For me, it is choose your pain. I have used Chamois butter, and a zinc oxide based stick. The inner cotton underwear type skins don't have enough support, and from past history I know that bareback is no real option, because then I am dealing with testicular pain leading to epiditimitis.

The jock is fine for rides under 50 miles, but after that the chaffing is debilitating

Suggestions?
G'day mate, don't have same problem though used to chafe with good nicks. now just where "jockey" undies and normal shorts. can go 200k's a day and no discomfort. I do think people don't look closley at what they where while riding. stay away from any seams at all if possible and don't have clothes to tight.
hope that helps [email protected] Regards Terry

You may think I am strange, but I am very excited to come across this posting. I have been a cyclist and a triathlete for about 12 years. I recently was diagnosed with epididymitis. I have always taken on those who say you shouldn't wear anything under your shorts. Admittedly, things got better when I got tighter and more expensive shorts. But still, I felt that shorts didn't provide the support I needed. I've often worn old speedos under the shorts. I have tried to go commando, but often (especially when I am stretching) it has just been too uncomfortable. I understand your appreciation for jocks. For some reason, they make some of the pain disappear. Frankly, I wore them almost daily for normal wear until my balls began to feel better. I've always wanted a company to come up with a pair of shorts that has some kind of pouch that would provide the support. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not some kind of weirdo. Intellectually I don't understand why jocks help, but other kinds of underwear (pouch briefs) which are just as tight make things worse. I don't get it, unless it has to do with the jock's ability to keep things close to the body and warm. Thanks for listening. It's not the kind of thing you talk to many people about. I feel vindicated for not allowing the cycling underwear police (or nazi) shame me into wearing only the shorts. It may be PC, but it just hasn't always been comfortable. By the way, if you find a jock that is more comfortable, yet supportive, I would like to know. Honestly, not many people are selling jocks any more. None of the sporting goods stores in our town sell Bike (non-cup) jocks anymore. I'm told that everyone is wearing compression shorts. They just don't do it for me.

Willmeister said:
You may think I am strange, but I am very excited to come across this posting. I have been a cyclist and a triathlete for about 12 years. I recently was diagnosed with epididymitis. I have always taken on those who say you shouldn't wear anything under your shorts. Admittedly, things got better when I got tighter and more expensive shorts. But still, I felt that shorts didn't provide the support I needed. I've often worn old speedos under the shorts. I have tried to go commando, but often (especially when I am stretching) it has just been too uncomfortable. I understand your appreciation for jocks. For some reason, they make some of the pain disappear. Frankly, I wore them almost daily for normal wear until my balls began to feel better. I've always wanted a company to come up with a pair of shorts that has some kind of pouch that would provide the support. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not some kind of weirdo. Intellectually I don't understand why jocks help, but other kinds of underwear (pouch briefs) which are just as tight make things worse. I don't get it, unless it has to do with the jock's ability to keep things close to the body and warm. Thanks for listening. It's not the kind of thing you talk to many people about. I feel vindicated for not allowing the cycling underwear police (or nazi) shame me into wearing only the shorts. It may be PC, but it just hasn't always been comfortable. By the way, if you find a jock that is more comfortable, yet supportive, I would like to know. Honestly, not many people are selling jocks any more. None of the sporting goods stores in our town sell Bike (non-cup) jocks anymore. I'm told that everyone is wearing compression shorts. They just don't do it for me.
another sort of jocks i use are called "RIO," I buy them in a 9 pack for $14 at woolworths, they work great. regards Terry

Willmeister said:
As my post said, you are not alone. For me, it is a choice between the excrutiating pain in my groin, or elastic chaffing on my rear. For rides of 2 hours or less, it is a no-brainer, the jock chaffing is manageable, and I save the boys. I's longer rides where the chaffing is a bigger deal. I am going to try better shorts, but agree that they are no substitute for a good old fashioned Bike(r) Jock Strap. I have also done the same stuff, tighter jockies, euro style briefs, but when this condition truly gets chronic, it becomes pain management. Good luck, if you find a better product, let me know.

I just got off antibiotics for the epididymitis. Things are better now. I'm wearing regular underwear for daily wear, which I am grateful for. My doctor tried to convince me that the epid. came from my exercising. He thought that the solution was just better support. I didn't buy his evaluation. Sure I think that the exercising (bike seats) may irritate things. But I suspect the epid. is a bacterial infection issue. I suggested the antibiotics. He agreed. I was also diagnosed with a varicocele and a hydrocele. They may be contributing to some of the discomfort. Who knows? Do you ever get relief? I find that my condition comes back every three or four months. It goes away, and I think that every thing is taken care of. Wrong. I noticed that some sexual things seem to contribute to the pain, but even that is not totally predictable.

If it's bacterial, then you should be doing everything you can to maintain cleanliness down there. Whenever I shower I do the normal washing, then scrub the area with Hibiclens, an OTC anti-microbial skin cleaner.

Ugh! The balls are back at it again. I took a spinning class. Thought I could get by with only the bike shorts. Wrong! They are hurting again. This really irritates me. I guess I should know better.

DMF said:
If it's bacterial, then you should be doing everything you can to maintain cleanliness down there. Whenever I shower I do the normal washing, then scrub the area with Hibiclens, an OTC anti-microbial skin cleaner.
Unfortunately, it is not that simple. The bacteria that cause epididymitis usually are lurking in the prostate. No amount of external cleanliness is going to have any effect. Once bacteria seed the prostate, it is nearly impossible to eliminate the bacteria entirely. If epididymitis flares up frequently, then the best treatment is probably a six week course of a quinolone antibiotic. The problem with this approach, though, is that quinolones carry the risk of some serious side effects, including peripheral neuropathy (irreversible nerve damage), tendon damage, heart problems (prolonged QT Interval / torsades de pointes), pseudomembranous colitis, rhabdomyolysis (muscle wasting), Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and lowered seizure threshold. For that reason, initial episodes of epididymitis or episodes that recurr infrequently are treated for only one week to ten days. This is enough to clear the bacteria from the epididymis, but not long enough to clear the prostate. Many people will never have another bout of epididymitis, but for those who do have frequent recurrences, long term use of a quinolone might be worth the risk.