Assos

DZ-015

Oct 25, 2005
Anybody out there rich enough to buy Assos gear?
Is it worth the money?

DZ-015 said:
Is it worth the money?
I got some, its nice... but honestly, overhyped. The bibs are great. The jerseys, eh I still prefer Sugoi.

And I'm not rich, I just part-time at a bike shop. ahhh the discounts.

DZ-015 said:
Is it worth the money?

I hear there Bibs are excellent.

Also, there water/wind resistant jacket(Micro-fiber) that keeps you dry- climage controled , is supposed to be the bomb but its = $200 or so.

DZ-015 said:
Is it worth the money?

Not rich, I bought some bibs (not the F1, but I forget the model name) when they were on sale at totalcycling.com for about 60 pounds ($100?).....I can say they are really not worth the price, totally over-hyped. Perhaps other people might find them more comfy I suppose....they seem to be sized rather small. Bought a Medium, as I am 62K (about 140 lbs?) and 176cm (5ft 10in)....way too short, they pulled my scrotum up into my abdomen :eek: ! Quality not so hot either, there were quite a few exposed seams.
Look into Pearl Izumi or Castelli instead, me thinks better value for money. YMMV.

Adam-from-SLO said:
I concur Castelli is #1

My top three:
1) Bergamo (awesome pad)
2) Louis Garneau (top of the line ergo g pad)
3) Castelli (our team's current kit)

I have one precious little piece of Assos clothing an '03 Air block jersey/jacket. Little bugger cost me $250, but since I wear it just about everyday it was worth it. It's amazingly effective at low temps. I just can't afford any of their other stuff. Boo Hoo.

I have the cold weather bib-tights and gator jacket. Both presents as I could not bring myself to spend the $. Both are excellent for cold weather riding. I ride in the teen (and less with windchill) and stay comfortable. I wouldn't get Assos for anything other than cold weather riding.

I have the F1, and it's kinda weird, that I(as many do) do not wear underwear, so I'm not sure it's because I dress right(hangs to the left), but the head of my penis seems to rub on the seem, so no it is by far not the best one on the market.

Got some Prosline bib shorts and tights - both superb

But! Berghaus stuff is just as good and little cheaper

DZ-015 said:
Is it worth the money?
I have a pair of cool weather Assos socks!!! They are no better than any other pair.
I love the Campy bib shorts I got. That was worth the money!
John

like assos, but the clothes seem to always be cut too slim for me. like pearl izumi, castelli, or just the generic performance or nashbar. like the descente stuff. heck, when it comes down to it, it doesn't really matter because it is all the same fabric. get the stuff that fits the best for less.

All of the mixed reviews of the Assos gear is what kept me from buying any of it. I just bought all new bibs and could not bring myself to spend the money on the Assos gear. I ended up with Castelli, Giordana, Pearl Izumi, and Specialized BG Pro bib.

I have the ASSOS EVO jersey, perfect for Sonoma county weather and it is a very nice thermal jersey. Fits great. You do have to go up a size though. I'm 5'10" 155lbs and I had to get a Large for a snug but comfortable fit. Another nice selection is Spectrum, little cheaper than ASSOS and just as nice. I'm not rich but I feel it was money well spent. One less PEET'S COFFEE mocha a day for a month will cover the cost. There is an authorized online retailer that offers nice discounts and free priority shipping.

Assos is nice but overpriced. Castelli and/or Campagnolo (their bibs are great, IMHO) are just as good for less money.

DZ-015 said:
Is it worth the money?

I have quite a bit so I'm not rich anymore! In summary, my experience is:
F1 Mille bibs - fantastic, best knicks for me, very comfortable, great chamois, but latest range cut a little short in the leg for my taste (exposes my tan marks)! incidentally the bibs are cut to be tight when you are standing but just right when you are sitting on the bike.
Below knee bib is great too, especially for Spring/Autumn as it is thicker material
Air Block gillet: simple, light effective, comfortable.
Rain Jacket - works well in anything short of a heavy storm, weighs almost nothing although it increases weight as it gets wet, so bloody expensive that I'll never fall off in the rain as I couldn't afford to replace it!
Arm and leg warmers - elastic went in less than 12 months:-(
Thermal undershirts - the best Assos stuff I have!
short sleeve jersey - just another jersey but at least it's got a full length zip.

Other gear that I've owned and compared it to: Nalini, Cannondale, Exte Ondo, Netti, Ground Effect.

Hope this helps.