Austin to Evaluate Local Emergency Room Data to Determine Whetheror Not to Implement an All-Ages Hel

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> <big snip of Frankie's claptrap>
>
>> Reading comprehension, Ozark, reading comprehension!
>>

> You just can't help being a condescending, insulting ass, can you,
> Frankie? You're just a cradle-to-grave asshole.

CITATION?

SMS wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > <big snip of Frankie's claptrap>
> >
> >> Reading comprehension, Ozark, reading comprehension!
> >>

> > You just can't help being a condescending, insulting ass, can you,
> > Frankie? You're just a cradle-to-grave asshole.

> CITATION?

LOL!!!

gds wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>

> > If either the doctor or the patient knew the patient got the drug
> > (instead of a placebo) they would likely rate improvement higher. It
> > would be too difficult to be unbiased. It _would_ effect the
> > assessment of the drub in a biased manner. It is for this specific
> > reason that double-blind testing is the norm.
> >
> > The proposed helmet test in Austin apparently fails to meet this
> > standard entirely. It's like letting the effectiveness of Merck's
> > latest drug be rated by Merck doctors who knew who took the drug -
> > absolutely worthless!

> No not quite. That is not the relevant standard.This is not the same
> sort of test as because as everyone agree there is little likelihodd
> that there will be double blind studies on helmets. But that does NOT
> mean thta there is no way to do valid research on this question. but a
> differnt methodology must be used.

You're correct in that there's no practical way to do a proper (i.e.
double blind) case-control study of something as conspicuous as a bike
helmet. And you're right that therefore a different methodology must
be used. But this proposed Austin study is, from what I can tell, a
doubly NON-blind (or "open") case-control study. That sort of study is
worthless, and would be worthless even if the principals had _not_
evidenced their bias by saying "We know what the results will be..."

> > This is all pretty basic stuff. See
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimenter's_bias for a discussion.

> There are all sorts of experimental designs which are not double blind
> and not blind at all. There are many ways of dealing with this.

Yes, and there have been studies done. The outcomes stack up like
this: Case-control studies predict marvelous helmet benefits. And
based on their promises and predictions of savings, helmet laws are
passed. But when post-MHL data is collected and studied, the promised
benefits do not appear.

Why do this one more time?

> If the study results are to be the observations of ER docs then the
> reported observations are the reported observations. That does not mean
> that their conclusions are correct.

:) And if the study results of a highly profitable Merck drug are to
be the observations of well-paid Merck doctors, the same applies. But
nobody would fall for that!

Of course the conclusions probably won't be correct. But those with
the MHL agenda in Austin are apparently pretending that this
resoundingly incompetent study design will generate the final proof
that helmets are wonderful. At least, that's what I gather from their
statements.

> > > I must agree with another poster that for someone who states that they
> > > are guided only by rigourous scientific researach you offer many
> > > anecdotes and suppositions and seem to not want to speak to the real
> > > issues.

> > I'm sorry, "gds," but I have given links and citations. Recall, I gave
> > a specific link with a direct quotation about the difference in ER
> > presentations by immigrants and natives. Here's my paragraph again:
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > For example,
> > http://www.pnhp.org/news/2005/july/immigrants_health_c.php says
> > "Immigrant children visit emergency rooms significantly less than
> > non-immigrant children, but their individual ER costs are nearly three
> > times higher ($45 vs. $18 per capita), suggesting that immigrant
> > children forego needed care until experiencing an emergency." Of
> > course, I'm using "immigrant" as a proxy for "low income," and that's
> > not necessrily a perfect assumption. But have you seen data to the
> > contrary?
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Notice, specific citation, direct quote.
> >
> > I also mentioned that the 1989 T&R study was immediately questioned for
> > its bias, since the non-helmeted folks presenting had worse injuries
> > overall (and fell on hard, not soft surfaces, and were on roads, not
> > bike paths, etc. etc.) I'll admit, I didn't give a complete citation,
> > since I assume anyone here has read (or should have read) the study
> > that generated the mythical "85%". But just in case, here's the
> > complete citation:
> >
> > Thompson, R., Rivara, F., & Thompson, D., A Case-Control Study of
> > Effectiveness of Bicycle Safety Helmets, New England Journal of
> > Medicine - May 25, 1989
> >
> > If you go to the library to read it, be sure to read the follow-up
> > criticisms in the next issue or two. Or for more thorough criticism,
> > see http://www.cyclehelmets.org/mf.html?1131
> >
> > Again, notice: Direct citations. I'm not merely saying "there are
> > tons of studies you can google," and I'm not giving only anecdotes.
> >
> > In fact, I don't recall either Ozark, Bill Sornson, SMS or you giving
> > citations at all. Perhaps I've forgotten?
> >
> > If so, please direct me to your citation correlating accident severity
> > with income level for ER presentations.

> Same citations over and over.

??? The one in the bracketed paragraph above is brand new. I just
found that paper yesterday.

I believe this is the first time I mentioned the follow-up responses to
T&R 1989.

I believe this is the first time I've given the link to
http://www.cyclehelmets.org/mf.html?1131

And in any case, even I have repeated citations, I'm FAR ahead of
Ozark, Sornson, SMS and yourself! Really, "Go google" just does not
count as a citation! Especially when it's regarding a different issue
than the one being discussed!

> For income and ER studies just google the topic and you'll have hundreds of citations.

:) You see why I have to repeat things?

Again: The topic we were discussing (that triggered your "Google &
find tons..." remark) was the correlation between the severity of
ER-presented injuries and income level.

If I habitually told you "Helmets don't work. Google to see, " you
could rightly say I'd not been scientific. As it is, that fault lies
with others.

BTW, why have you not commented on the differences between the two
groups in T&R 1989?

- Frank Krygowski

Cathy Kearns wrote:

> The mom I was thinking of in my example always wears her helmet like that,
> on the back of her head, tilting up behind her hairline. I can't believe
> she could hold her head up straight without the back of her helmet bumping
> her in the neck. She also rides down the wrong side of the street, with her
> children, and then steers them into the "out" of the school parking lot.
> Meanwhile yelling at people like me that I should be wearing a helmet.
> She's a pediatrician. Her husband is an ER doctor.

I suggest yelling back "Your father should have worn a condom!"

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

SMS wrote:
> Lo wrote:
>
> > The ironic aspect of this debate is that it's all about whether helmets
> > work, instead of whether helmet laws work. The whole idea of studying
> > ER data to determine whether to implement a helmet law is crazy. If
> > the Council wants to know the benefits or otherwise of helmet laws ...
> > they should be reading the studies of helmet laws.

> That is the bottom line. Almost no one disputes that helmets work, just
> as almost no one disputes that helmet laws don't work.

Most don't dispute helmet effectiveness because they have seen no real
data and are relying on false conventional wisdom.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> Cathy Kearns wrote:
>> The mom I was thinking of in my example always wears her helmet like that,
>> on the back of her head, tilting up behind her hairline. I can't believe
>> she could hold her head up straight without the back of her helmet bumping
>> her in the neck. She also rides down the wrong side of the street, with her
>> children, and then steers them into the "out" of the school parking lot.
>> Meanwhile yelling at people like me that I should be wearing a helmet.
>> She's a pediatrician. Her husband is an ER doctor.

> I suggest yelling back "Your father should have worn a condom!"

I would have simply called her a communist, and left it at that.

<Out of curiosity, how were the strap adjustments made on your helmet?>

The chin strap was the conventional style, with the strap ends passing
through a sliding buckle (which fits pretty tightly) with an O-ring to
hold the adjustment and the ends. IMHO the strap is made to fit tightly
for a reason, that of keeping the helmet strap from loosening up
easily. In my experience, over time this can sometimes happen. When it
does, the owner should tighten it back up, just as you would tighten up
worn brake shoes or a cable that had stretched on your bike. Just basic
maintenance. The harness that encircles the head adjusts very easily
with a toothed track with sliding adjusters that are tightened by
pushing on them until the harness is firmly on your head. IMHO this is
a great design, much better than the old helmets like my Trek, where it
had two twisting locks on the straps under the ears that could come
loose and loosen the chin strap.

The basic point of my original post was that the manufacturer (in this
case Giro) had provided a well-illustrated booklet with simple
instructions on how to adjust and care for the helmet. This is where
the problems come in, as owners frequently don't read instructions.
This doesn't just apply to helmets, it happens with vehicles,
appliances, tools, and many other things. I don't think the
manufacturer can be held responsible for this as they have done their
job in supplying the booklet. Owning any piece of equipment involves
some responsibility and one of those is to read the instructions or
seek help if you don't understand some facet of the product.

The original post dealt with mandatory helmet laws and it seems to me
like most all of the respondents here agree they're a bad idea. I have
always opposed helmet laws of any kind because I believe they muddy the
waters when it comes to the subject of helmets. A lot of false and
misleading information about them is often put out by persons on both
sides of the question. I once read a booklet from an anti-motorcycle
helmet law group that stated that a full face motorcycle helmet weighs
12 lbs.! Such misinformation like this can only hurt their case as it
completely blows their credibility. OTOH, pro-helmet law people
sometimes credit the helmet as a magic device that can solve all safety
problems. That of course is also completely false. Helmets are never a
replacement for good common sense.

I choose to wear a helmet on both bicycles and motorcycles, but am
strongly against forcing others to do so. Helmets only have a limited
ability to protect their wearers and in cases like a high speed head on
collision they simply won't make any difference. On other types of
falls, like one caused by a blowout or pothole, they may make the
difference between a bad headache or concussion and a permanent serious
injury or even death. It is up to the rider to weigh the pros and cons,
then make his (or her) own decision. My personal viewpoint is like that
of Peter in that they might help and can't hurt. Others disagree with
this and that is their prerogative. It should be up to the individual,
not some bureucrat in the city government.

Frank, I'd also like to say that even though you and I may not be on
the same page on this particular question, I agree with you on many
others, like the subject of bar end shifters. I have nothing but
respect for your opinions and you as a person.

Smokey

Smokey wrote:
> <Out of curiosity, how were the strap adjustments made on your helmet?>
>

> The chin strap was the conventional style, with the strap ends passing
> through a sliding buckle (which fits pretty tightly) with an O-ring to
> hold the adjustment and the ends. IMHO the strap is made to fit tightly
> for a reason, that of keeping the helmet strap from loosening up
> easily. In my experience, over time this can sometimes happen. When it
> does, the owner should tighten it back up, just as you would tighten up
> worn brake shoes or a cable that had stretched on your bike. Just basic
> maintenance. The harness that encircles the head adjusts very easily
> with a toothed track with sliding adjusters that are tightened by
> pushing on them until the harness is firmly on your head. IMHO this is
> a great design, much better than the old helmets like my Trek, where it
> had two twisting locks on the straps under the ears that could come
> loose and loosen the chin strap.
>
> The basic point of my original post was that the manufacturer (in this
> case Giro) had provided a well-illustrated booklet with simple
> instructions on how to adjust and care for the helmet. This is where
> the problems come in, as owners frequently don't read instructions.

I'm not familiar with the Giro harness adjustment system. It sounds
like it is a marked improvement over the systems I've seen and adjusted
- although I wonder why the chin strap can't be made to do its job
comfortably, and to retain its adjustment.

I agree with your final sentence above - that consumers frequently
don't read instructions. But I see a difference between giving
instructions on operating a simple, effective mechanism, and giving
instructions on operating a balky, frustrating, difficult mechanism
that won't stay in adjustment. I'm not willing to let the latter
manufacturer off the hook because he says "Hey, I gave them
instructions."

> Frank, I'd also like to say that even though you and I may not be on
> the same page on this particular question, I agree with you on many
> others, like the subject of bar end shifters. I have nothing but
> respect for your opinions and you as a person.

Thanks!

- Frank Krygowski

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> SMS wrote:
>> Lo wrote:
>>
>>> The ironic aspect of this debate is that it's all about whether helmets
>>> work, instead of whether helmet laws work. The whole idea of studying
>>> ER data to determine whether to implement a helmet law is crazy. If
>>> the Council wants to know the benefits or otherwise of helmet laws ...
>>> they should be reading the studies of helmet laws.

>> That is the bottom line. Almost no one disputes that helmets work, just
>> as almost no one disputes that helmet laws don't work.

> Most don't dispute helmet effectiveness because they have seen no real
> data and are relying on false conventional wisdom.

There is a tremendous body of data that proves the effectiveness of
helmets in head-impact crashes. Sure there are a few people that try to
attack it, but no one takes them seriously because they've never
provided any valid reasons why they believe the data is not factual.

SMS wrote:

> There is a tremendous body of data that proves the effectiveness of
> helmets in head-impact crashes. Sure there are a few people that try to
> attack it, but no one takes them seriously because they've never
> provided any valid reasons why they believe the data is not factual.

Let's strip out the data that pertains to minor "head injuries" like
scratches, cuts and bruises to scalp, ears, etc. Much of the
pro-helmet data refers to those injuries, although their fear campaign
is based on serious brain injuries.

Let's look at the serious brain injury data. First, how likely is a
serious brain injury while riding a bicycle? And are the injury rates
worse than for ordinary bicycling much worse than for other activities?

Second, how much have helmets reduced such serious brain injuries? Not
cuts and scratches. I want to know about the reductions in hospital
admissions, about long-term disabilities, about vegetative states, and
about fatalities. Those are the things helmet promoters use to scare
us.

Be scientific, Steven. Show us your data regarding the above. No
anecdotes - data, citations, numbers we can check.

We've had precious little of that from you.

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:

<big snip>

> Yes, and there have been studies done. The outcomes stack up like
> this: Case-control studies predict marvelous helmet benefits. And
> based on their promises and predictions of savings, helmet laws are
> passed. But when post-MHL data is collected and studied, the promised
> benefits do not appear.
>
> Why do this one more time?

Mainly because folks like you aren't accepting what has been done
before.
you can't argue both that all the research looking at data like this is
no good AND that new research shopuldn't be done.

> Of course the conclusions probably won't be correct. But those with
> the MHL agenda in Austin are apparently pretending that this
> resoundingly incompetent study design will generate the final proof
> that helmets are wonderful. At least, that's what I gather from their
> statements.

I'm confused. Where did you see the actual research protocol? If
youhaven't seen it how are you able to say the conclusions probably
won't be correct. I certainly won't argue that it will be a good study
without knowing more. Just interested how you can argue it won't be
good.

> > > I'm sorry, "gds," but I have given links and citations. Recall, I gave
> > > a specific link with a direct quotation about the difference in ER
> > > presentations by immigrants and natives.

I'm sorry Frank but the relationships between ER use and income and
insurance status has been studied many many times and the conclsuions
are pretty cosnsistent. There are literally hundreds of such studies.
My pointing you to how to find them is not a cop out. This forum is not
a term paper and you do not set the rules for citations.
And the subjects are not separate. If, as has been shown there are many
studies that show that ER use (for all but the most serious injuries)
is someohow correlated with income and insurance status then it is
important to understand how this might skew the rsults of ER data vs
what is happeining in the broader population. Beyond that you suggested
that wealthier, more educated folks would tend to go to the ER more
with cycling injuries and I'm suggesting that this is probably not true
given the well documented inverse relationship between ER utilization
and wealth. And we are not talking here of serious accidents in which a
person is transported to the ER by ambulance, etc.

> > > Again, notice: Direct citations. I'm not merely saying "there are
> > > tons of studies you can google," and I'm not giving only anecdotes.
> > >
> > > In fact, I don't recall either Ozark, Bill Sornson, SMS or you giving
> > > citations at all. Perhaps I've forgotten?

This is just silly. You can easily google the subject and come up with
many studies. For many folks this is actually superior because it
means that the studies found are referenced via the web and one doesn't
have to go to the library for a hard copy. Again you don't get to set
the citation rules for the forum.

> > > If so, please direct me to your citation correlating accident severity
> > > with income level for ER presentations.

> If I habitually told you "Helmets don't work. Google to see, " you
> could rightly say I'd not been scientific.

You are not being scientific because you are not doing science. You are
merely referencing studies. I feel pointing folks via a search engine
to myriad studies on the topic-with a range of methodologies and
conclusions is of more value than your listing of a verey small sample.

> BTW, why have you not commented on the differences between the two
> groups in T&R 1989?
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Because I haven't read it!

[email protected] aka Frank Krygowski wrote:
> SMS wrote:
> >

> > There is a tremendous body of data that proves the effectiveness of
> > helmets in head-impact crashes. Sure there are a few people that try to
> > attack it, but no one takes them seriously because they've never
> > provided any valid reasons why they believe the data is not factual.

> Let's strip out the data that pertains to minor "head injuries" like
> scratches, cuts and bruises to scalp, ears, etc. Much of the
> pro-helmet data refers to those injuries, although their fear campaign
> is based on serious brain injuries....

Here is the real use of foam hats - reduction of minor scalp wounds.
>From experience I know that a head impact that does not cause even a

concussion (much less skull fracture or internal bleeding) can be
rather unpleasant.

Too bad the Skid Lid has been gone for almost a quarter century, doomed
by the efforts of the Liddites.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> [email protected] aka Frank Krygowski wrote:
> >
> > Let's strip out the data that pertains to minor "head injuries" like
> > scratches, cuts and bruises to scalp, ears, etc. Much of the
> > pro-helmet data refers to those injuries, although their fear campaign
> > is based on serious brain injuries....

> Here is the real use of foam hats - reduction of minor scalp wounds.
> >From experience I know that a head impact that does not cause even a

> concussion (much less skull fracture or internal bleeding) can be
> rather unpleasant.

Likewise, road rash on the palms can be rather unpleasant. I had that
happen to me once, in 1972.

But glove promoters don't claim they save lives.

- Frank Krygowski

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> [email protected] aka Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> SMS wrote:
>>>
>>> There is a tremendous body of data that proves the effectiveness of
>>> helmets in head-impact crashes. Sure there are a few people that try to
>>> attack it, but no one takes them seriously because they've never
>>> provided any valid reasons why they believe the data is not factual.

>> Let's strip out the data that pertains to minor "head injuries" like
>> scratches, cuts and bruises to scalp, ears, etc. Much of the
>> pro-helmet data refers to those injuries, although their fear campaign
>> is based on serious brain injuries....

> Here is the real use of foam hats - reduction of minor scalp wounds.

That is not what the body of data shows. Yes they do prevent those
wounds, but their real use is in head-impact crashes.

> Too bad the Skid Lid has been gone for almost a quarter century, doomed
> by the efforts of the Liddites.

I had one of those. The reason it is gone is because it _only_ provided
scalp wound protection, and not impact protection.

gds wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > The specific relationship I want is the severity of the typical
> > low-income person's ER injury, versus the severity of the typical
> > well-off person's injury. IOW, the correlation between injury severity
> > presented to ER and the income of the patient. I'm not interested in
> > whether a poor person goes to ER for the flu.
> >
> > There may be hundreds of studies on the flu question - that's not my
> > interest. But if there are hundreds of studies correlating injury
> > level to income, why not give me the citations or URLs of a few? It's
> > now the third time I've asked, IIRC. All I found was one backing up my
> > contention! (Oh, and the original data for the 1989 T&R study, also
> > showing what I contend.)

> That's nice that you want that data. It, of course misses my point. YOU
> made the statement that wealthier, insured folks were more likely to go
> to the ER with cycling injuries. My rebut was that there is a whole
> host of studies that show that ER utilization is INVERSELY related to
> income and insurance status.

For accidents? And do the studies deal with injury severity? If so,
why not post a citation?

> So, absent serious emergiencis the data
> show that overall utilization is the opposite of what you claim.

I believe you're demonstrating proof by assertion. All I'm asking for
is evidence. It seems you must not have evidence, or you'd have
produced it by now.

> Just
> do the google excersize and see for your self. I have no interest in
> dong that simple task for you.

Then you have no interest in proving your point. Until further notice,
we need to treat your idea as unproven opinion, and opinion that runs
counter to the evidence I _did_ provide.

I should make this clear: Since entering this discussion, I _have_
done the google "excersize" [sic] and more. Maybe it's my search
terms, and maybe it's a shortcoming of my file indexing system here at
home, but I'm finding no evidence that the injuries of poor people in
the ER are less serious than injuries of the well-off who choose to go
to ER.

> > I certainly don't make the rules. But you've complained falsely that I
> > give only anecdotes and suppositions, while failing to do more
> > yourself. Internal consistency is good.

> You gave a number of silly anecdotes that prove nothing. you know a
> woman who can't adjust her helmet. Gee that is much better than knowing
> someone who thinks thier helmet protected them.

Hmm. I thought we were in agreement that the "difficulty of fitting"
issue was a rather unimportant side point. Still, I did give a link to
a report on the apparent difficulty, claiming that a study showed 96%
of helmets were _not_ correctly fitted. My link was
http://tinyurl.com/y649yb Did you not read that?

Since then, I've found the study's abstract, at
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/112/2/320

I've got access to two excellent library systems. I can get the
complete paper, if that's what it takes to demonstrate that I trade in
more than unfounded opinion. But at the moment, I believe I'm still
far ahead of you, SMS, Ozark and Bill Sornson in providing real
information and links to the same.

If you post real information, we can learn from it. Granted, some
published articles may contain errors. Some may be outright lies. But
at least, discussing refereed papers and recognized statistics moves us
beyond the 4th grade level!

- Frank Krygowski

SMS wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
>
> > Too bad the Skid Lid has been gone for almost a quarter century, doomed
> > by the efforts of the Liddites.

> I had one of those. The reason it is gone is because it _only_ provided
> scalp wound protection, and not impact protection.

Unless you read the testimonials from its users. Their "My Skid-Lid
Saved My Life" stories were precisely like the current "My Giro Helmet
Saved My Life" stories.

The collection of testimonials I read was at a League of American
Wheelmen convention, some time in the late 1970s. Skid-Lid had a table
at the manufacturer's display area, showing dozens of such testimonial
letters, including one with the author's drawing showing his body
vaulting over a car and landing on his head.

But I guess all those Skid-Lid users were deluded. However, we're
supposed to believe the current crop of testimonials are all correct!

Hmmm...

- Frank Krygowski

SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> There is a tremendous body of data that proves the effectiveness
> of helmets in head-impact crashes. Sure there are a few people
> that try to attack it, but no one takes them seriously because
> they've never provided any valid reasons why they believe the data
> is not factual.

As you never provide any valid reason resp. evidence for your
statements I understand you are not to be taken seriously by your
own call?

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer

On 29 Oct 2006 09:17:03 GMT, Helmut Springer <[email protected]>
wrote:

>SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
>> There is a tremendous body of data that proves the effectiveness
>> of helmets in head-impact crashes. Sure there are a few people
>> that try to attack it, but no one takes them seriously because
>> they've never provided any valid reasons why they believe the data
>> is not factual.

>As you never provide any valid reason resp. evidence for your
>statements I understand you are not to be taken seriously by your
>own call?

Hence the common expansion of "SMS" to be "Straw Man Scharf".