avoiding Anzac Bridge

On Fri, 05 May 2006 01:19:31 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> So my next milestone is to be able to ride up the ramp to Oservatory
> Hill, rather than wimp out and push the bike up it.

It sounds like you're going up Kent St, then up alongside the bridge
on ramp to come up past Fort St. School. If so, there's a way to avoid the
nasty ramp that might work for you - continue on Kent and go up the road
to Observatory Hill.

> So is Walker St in North Sydney, still only manage to
> get half way up the hill to Berry St.

Walker after Berry St is even more amusing. If you're a sick and twisted
individual like me, who enjoys challenging uphills. Lost traction on the
2nd last hill yesterday, but got the harder one afterward, so wasn't too
unhappy. Also made the viciously steep climb, which makes Rothwell St in
Turramurra look reasonably easy.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
We tend to view 'all publicity is good publicity' as a challenge

beerwolf wrote:

> Are you going to ride the recumbent *down* the ramp at Milsons Point?

I think that's why Zeebee's been looking at disc brakes.

Parbs - weeeeee!

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 05 May 2006 15:10:40 +1000
Random Data <[email protected]> wrote:

> It sounds like you're going up Kent St, then up alongside the bridge
> on ramp to come up past Fort St. School. If so, there's a way to avoid the
> nasty ramp that might work for you - continue on Kent and go up the road
> to Observatory Hill.

Yes I've seen that - you have to do a right up an oddly angled road
don't you?

>> So is Walker St in North Sydney, still only manage to
>> get half way up the hill to Berry St.

> Walker after Berry St is even more amusing. If you're a sick and twisted
> individual like me, who enjoys challenging uphills. Lost traction on the
> 2nd last hill yesterday, but got the harder one afterward, so wasn't too
> unhappy. Also made the viciously steep climb, which makes Rothwell St in
> Turramurra look reasonably easy.

I go down Walker to Berry on the Mighty Scooter, ain't going to go
up it on the pushbike!

Zebee

On Fri, 05 May 2006 10:20:02 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> Yes I've seen that - you have to do a right up an oddly angled road
> don't you?

Yep, it's basically right beside Argyle St, and there's not much of a gap.
Not perfect, but the angles are better, which it sounds like you're
after.

> I go down Walker to Berry on the Mighty Scooter, ain't going to go up it
> on the pushbike!

Shuttle runs already? Bloody DHers!
(If I'm heading over to Neutral Bay I like Walker because it has the least
traffic. Also see previous post re: sick and twisted).

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Flagrant system error!

Another reason to avoid Anzac Bridge: at around 7am the sun is just shining
through the balustrade on the cyclepath. The uprights are spaced close
together and there is a very rapid stroboscopic/flicker effect. Enough to
put me off my breakfast almost.

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 07 May 2006 09:04:21 GMT
Fractal <[email protected]> wrote:
> Another reason to avoid Anzac Bridge: at around 7am the sun is just shining
> through the balustrade on the cyclepath. The uprights are spaced close
> together and there is a very rapid stroboscopic/flicker effect. Enough to
> put me off my breakfast almost.

Yeah., noticed that....

riding towards it can get exciting too, sunglare making it almost
impossible to see oncoming traffic.

Zebee