sydney-melbourne, avoiding hazards!

uinseann

Sep 12, 2006
I will be coming from Ireland to ride sydney-melbourne, as much along the coast as possible(dont want long boring miles), but wanting to avoid highway hazards. I have been thinking about using princes highway, but have read different reports about cycling along it, from hellish to downright dangerous. Can anyone clarify, if it is safe-ish and can it be avoided, while still using sealed roads. I will be on a adapted race/tour bike, so don't fancy gravel roads. I have a reasonable amount of time and don't mind the extra miles. Staying with friends in melbourne at the end, so don't mind a hard slog during the tour. Also, i have considered the camping option, as i am not sure about the frequency of hostels, along the route. Can anyone help me on this. I suppose i would enjoy the camping option, if i knew that i was not too far from the next water stop, etc. Another question to all you aussie cyclists. weather!! I was thinking November. Is that a good time or still a little wet?(was hoping for a break from the irish rain!) thanks for any advice you can give me. Uinseann

uinseann said:
I will be coming from Ireland to ride sydney-melbourne, as much along the coast as possible(dont want long boring miles), but wanting to avoid highway hazards. I have been thinking about using princes highway, but have read different reports about cycling along it, from hellish to downright dangerous. Can anyone clarify, if it is safe-ish and can it be avoided, while still using sealed roads. I will be on a adapted race/tour bike, so don't fancy gravel roads. I have a reasonable amount of time and don't mind the extra miles. Staying with friends in melbourne at the end, so don't mind a hard slog during the tour. Also, i have considered the camping option, as i am not sure about the frequency of hostels, along the route. Can anyone help me on this. I suppose i would enjoy the camping option, if i knew that i was not too far from the next water stop, etc. Another question to all you aussie cyclists. weather!! I was thinking November. Is that a good time or still a little wet?(was hoping for a break from the irish rain!) thanks for any advice you can give me. Uinseann
Don't know much about that ride, other than it's a long way. Just a lazy 1,000km or so.
For all your weather info, endless data can be found at www.bom.gov.au
Especially here: http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/

This is a different route, but maybe you could try this: http://www.audax.org.au/aurora.htm

Get yourself a copy of Lonely Planet's "Cycling Australia" - it has a ride which goes along the east coast. You will need to reverse the route, which starts at Phillip Island (east of Melbourne) and heads north all the way to Brisbane.

If you intend to camp, then get a copy of the NSW and Victoria state maps produced by Steve Parrish Publishing, which actually show the location of campsites and water sources.

Going down the coast from Sydney to Eden, the towns are not that far apart and most have motels where you can get a room for the night. The quality can be quite variable in terms of comfort, and a most of them don't include breakfast. Once you get into the Gippsland region of Victoria, you should also have no problems fiinding accommodation and again, the towns are not that far apart. The only place you might have problems is between Eden and Bairnsdale(which is in Gippsland), depending on whether you stick to the coast road or head inland. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with that area but hopefully someone else will be able to fill in the gaps.

Weatherwise, October/November would be ideal - good weather, without being too hot.

November is normally the windiest time of year in south eastern Australia.

Travelling down the NSW coast you can avoid the Princes Hwy in places, though you'd mostly have to follow this major route. On the plus side, it is very scenic. From Orbost to Melbourne (the last 400km of the ride) you can completely avoid the Princes Hwy and use sealed roads without too many major detours or extra kilometres.

Eden to Orbost is quite remote and heavily forested, the road frequently twists and climbs, with only a few infrequent hamlets like Cann River and Genoa along the way. Plan ahead along this stretch, you don't want to be caught out of town in the middle of nowhere close to dark. Otherwise, should be no problems after Orbost.

Even though the Princess Highway is labelled Highway 1 its not much of a highway really. Much of it is single lane each way without a shoulder with a 100 km/h speed limit which means a lot of the traffic will be doing 110 km/h+. Impatient drivers in a hurry means its not really safe. Much of it travels through forests between the sea and the great dividing range which is scenic but there are very few alternative low volume road running beside it. Going through Canberra means less traffic but a lot of climbing and while there are fewer cars they will still be whizzing past on narrow secondary Highway's.

The Hume Highway is the only way that would be vaguely safe with a double carriage highway with shoulders but its a boring inland highway.

Regards, Anthony

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t-175911-15-1.html

I would consider getting tyres that will cope with unsealed roads, or else you'll really be limiting your possibilities and confining yourself to busier roads. Many important routes in Australia are unsealed, but certainly not singletrack! 28mm slicks would suffice, as long as your wheels are strong.

anthonyg said:
Even though the Princess Highway is labelled Highway 1 its not much of a highway really. Much of it is single lane each way without a shoulder with a 100 km/h speed limit which means a lot of the traffic will be doing 110 km/h+. Impatient drivers in a hurry means its not really safe. Much of it travels through forests between the sea and the great dividing range which is scenic but there are very few alternative low volume road running beside it. Going through Canberra means less traffic but a lot of climbing and while there are fewer cars they will still be whizzing past on narrow secondary Highway's.
I would agree with AnthonyG. I've driven that route and although extremely scenic, but the part b/n NSW and Vic have a lot of rolling hills. With the 2 lane highway and 100km/h speed limit and fair amount of traffic including semi-trailers, I'd think twice about long rides there. Shoulders are notoriously narrow and drops into rocky and dusty sections that's inconsistent.

The Princes Hwy north of Merimbula should be avoided wherever possible, especially north of Nowra. It's not pleasant - you'd become very aware of the standard Australian opinion of cyclists. Thankfully, most of it is easily avoided. Between Eden and Orbost, it's pleasant.

artemidorus said:
The Princes Hwy north of Merimbula should be avoided wherever possible, especially north of Nowra. It's not pleasant - you'd become very aware of the standard Australian opinion of cyclists. Thankfully, most of it is easily avoided. Between Eden and Orbost, it's pleasant.
Thanks for all the info. Thanks for the link to a previous thread with your route. What parts of your route would you avoid if doing it again. i am going solo(sounds better than alone), so don't want to be too isolated(not for safety, but for social reasons....i like small towns and a few beers after a day in the saddle, etc!), but also want to see a bit of the country, avoiding any long boring rural landscapes. Would rather have a bit of climbing than spend days punching out the miles on flat open boring roads.

i will arrive at sydney, and rather than hit the road straight away, i might stay in sydney for a few days. any recommendations on bike friendly and secure hostels/motels. would it be best to get train to wollongong to start trip to avoid sydney surburbs. You have been all very helpful.
Uinseann

uinseann said:
Thanks for all the info. Thanks for the link to a previous thread with your route. What parts of your route would you avoid if doing it again. i am going solo(sounds better than alone), so don't want to be too isolated(not for safety, but for social reasons....i like small towns and a few beers after a day in the saddle, etc!), but also want to see a bit of the country, avoiding any long boring rural landscapes. Would rather have a bit of climbing than spend days punching out the miles on flat open boring roads.

i will arrive at sydney, and rather than hit the road straight away, i might stay in sydney for a few days. any recommendations on bike friendly and secure hostels/motels. would it be best to get train to wollongong to start trip to avoid sydney surburbs. You have been all very helpful.
Uinseann
Ride from Sydney to Wollongong is fine. Would recommend the gong ride route

http://www.gongride.org.au/

A large number of riders follow a significate portion of this route early on Sunday mornings.

If you want to make it even quieter check out the RTA links in my signature.

Also, there is a bike path that travels pretty much the entire distance of wollongong. Not sure where the link is.

uinseann said:

Uinseann
The only bit that I would try to avoid would be the flatlands around Sale, but I'm not sure that that area is easily avoided. Most of the route that I have listed varied between pleasant and sublime. There is an alternative set of routes over the Australian Alps, which is entirely different from the route that I have posted.

artemidorus said:
The only bit that I would try to avoid would be the flatlands around Sale, but I'm not sure that that area is easily avoided. Most of the route that I have listed varied between pleasant and sublime. There is an alternative set of routes over the Australian Alps, which is entirely different from the route that I have posted.
All around Sale is flat. You can ride the north side of the Princes Hwy between Bairnsdale and Stratford, which though slightly further than the hwy or the Southern option through Bengwarden is scenic and knocks out some boring stretches. Bypass Sale completely by heading from Stratford to Maffra, then follow the back roads through Tinamba or Newry, Lake Glenmaggie, Heyfield, Cowwarr, Glengarry which sKirt the hills to Traralgon, Morwell or Moe. Thr route is flat but the scenery much nicer than following the highway from Sale or out through Longford.

Yeah, I'm a local to the area:)

classic1 said:
All around Sale is flat. You can ride the north side of the Princes Hwy between Bairnsdale and Stratford, which though slightly further than the hwy or the Southern option through Bengwarden is scenic and knocks out some boring stretches. Bypass Sale completely by heading from Stratford to Maffra, then follow the back roads through Tinamba or Newry, Lake Glenmaggie, Heyfield, Cowwarr, Glengarry which sKirt the hills to Traralgon, Morwell or Moe. Thr route is flat but the scenery much nicer than following the highway from Sale or out through Longford.

Yeah, I'm a local to the area:)
Thanks for all the valuable advice. I am just planning the trip and hope to be on the road early november. These tips are invaluable...thanks.
will probably bring a tent and mix that with motels, etc. Although it is tempting to leave the camping gear behind and travel light...but that would be tempting fate and being caught out in remote areas at night might not be any fun. keep any advice coming...it is much appreciated.
uinseann

Uinseanne, Just wondering if u have completed the trip? I'm a new student from UNSW and also planning to go on a trip from sydney to melbourne around early December with my friend and some other students. I've got a Felt SR101 with a 28mm Alex tyres and he's got a Giant uplander MTB. Both of us are newbie in our mid 20s and we have never rode our bike more than 30km on a single day. Each of us are planning to bring along a sleeping bag, a tent, some clothes for change, some food to cover 2 days, bike kits to repair puntures and a map. I don't know if that is enough for the trip and also which map I should buy for the route. Any suggestions which route is more scenic and safe but doesn't require too much of a climb? Cheers

Victor

FunkyHakka said:
Uinseanne, Just wondering if u have completed the trip? I'm a new student from UNSW and also planning to go on a trip from sydney to melbourne around early December with my friend and some other students. I've got a Felt SR101 with a 28mm Alex tyres and he's got a Giant uplander MTB. Both of us are newbie in our mid 20s and we have never rode our bike more than 30km on a single day. Each of us are planning to bring along a sleeping bag, a tent, some clothes for change, some food to cover 2 days, bike kits to repair puntures and a map. I don't know if that is enough for the trip and also which map I should buy for the route. Any suggestions which route is more scenic and safe but doesn't require too much of a climb? Cheers

Victor

Umm, is this a troll?

OK maybe you just don't know. Sydney to Melbourne is about 1000 km. A high average speed for such riding would be 25 kmh. 20 kmh might be more realistic so 1000 km divided by 20 kmh gives us 50 hours of in the saddle riding. 100 km a day is good going so your looking at 10 long day's minimum.

You need to be better prepared for such a ride.

Regards, Anthony

anthonyg said:
Umm, is this a troll?

OK maybe you just don't know. Sydney to Melbourne is about 1000 km. A high average speed for such riding would be 25 kmh. 20 kmh might be more realistic so 1000 km divided by 20 kmh gives us 50 hours of in the saddle riding. 100 km a day is good going so your looking at 10 long day's minimum.

Regards, Anthony
You'd be lucky to average much more than 15-18km/h while fully laden.

anthonyg said:
Umm, is this a troll?

Regards, Anthony
No, its not a troll. We have around 3 weeks in hand around christmas to do the trip. Yes I know its around 1000km. We can both average around 20kmh without much of a problem just that we had never gone on a long journey before. we are planning to cover around 60-100k/day to make it in around 15 days. How do u mean by better prepared? That's why I've come here to ask experienced people like urself what other preparations are needed. Thanks

Victor