Bacchetta M5 seat and BB height

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Kevin Abbott, Apr 14, 2003.

  1. Kevin Abbott

    Kevin Abbott Guest

    I test rode a Strada on Friday and was blown away at the quality of the ride. It's really quite an
    amazing bike. Last year I owned an Optima Baron, so I know I like the hardshell Euro-style seats.
    However, the shop where rode the Strada did not have a Corsa to try. So, I'm planning to buy a frame
    kit and build it up myself.

    My question is, how much change is there in the seat height-to-BB height when switching from the
    Bacchetta mesh to the M5? I know the seat itself is lower, but I'm assuming you'd probably have to
    scoot it up a bit to maintain the same leg extension.

    The Bacchetta web site indicates a difference of 1" (8" on the Strada and 9" on the Corsa), and I'm
    wondering if this holds true in the real world.

    thanks a bunch

    Kevin "future Bacchetta owener" Abbott Kalamazoo, MI

    Tags:

  2. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Kevin, Seat height will decrease about 2''-3''. I say this based on extensive use of a Strada first
    with mesh seat then M5 seat. I don't know if M5 seat moved to keep same leg extension. But, with
    mesh seat I was on ball of feet at stops. With M5 seat I'm flat footed. Big improvement, very
    stable. Strada comes with 571mm wheels, Corsa with 650c wheels. So higher height on Corsa is due to
    wheels. I notice no difference between Strada and Corsa with M5 seats. If you build up Strada, go
    with 650c wheels to get good fast tire selection. Wheel Doctor Jude McGloin (410.745.6676, Maryland)
    builds up Strada's to be Corsa-like at a cost of only $1800 - $1900.
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

    "Kevin Abbott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I test rode a Strada on Friday and was blown away at the quality of the ride. It's really quite an
    > amazing bike. Last year I owned an Optima Baron, so I know I like the hardshell Euro-style seats.
    > However, the shop where rode the Strada did not have a Corsa to try. So, I'm planning to buy a
    > frame kit and build it up myself.
    >
    > My question is, how much change is there in the seat height-to-BB height when switching from the
    > Bacchetta mesh to the M5? I know the seat itself is lower, but I'm assuming you'd probably have to
    > scoot it up a bit to maintain the same leg extension.
    >
    > The Bacchetta web site indicates a difference of 1" (8" on the Strada and 9" on the Corsa), and
    > I'm wondering if this holds true in the real world.
    >

    > thanks a bunch
    >
    > Kevin "future Bacchetta owener" Abbott Kalamazoo, MI

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Al Kubeluis wrote:

    > ... Strada comes with 571mm wheels, Corsa with 650c wheels....

    The "650C" wheels on the Corsa are ISO 571-mm size. The "26-inch" wheels on the Strada are ISO
    559-mm size.

  4. I keep an M5 Bacchetta seat on hand to use for a demo. It is currently on a customers Giro. She was
    on the ball of her foot with the stock seat and is now flat footed. The difference is quite
    dramatic. We did not move the seat fwd. In fact, in my opinion, it needed to be move back some for
    proper leg extension. In my opinion all Bacchetta dealers ned to keep a demo M5 on hand. I rode a
    stock STRADA for awhile and then put a M5 carbon on it. I really didn't notice much of a change in
    the BB to seat height. I don't think you need to be concerned. I currently plan to build up another
    M5 STRADA next week.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Kevin Abbott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I test rode a Strada on Friday and was blown away at the quality of the ride. It's really quite an
    > amazing bike. Last year I owned an Optima Baron, so I know I like the hardshell Euro-style seats.
    > However, the shop where rode the Strada did not have a Corsa to try. So, I'm planning to buy a
    > frame kit and build it up myself.
    >
    > My question is, how much change is there in the seat height-to-BB height when switching from the
    > Bacchetta mesh to the M5? I know the seat itself is lower, but I'm assuming you'd probably have to
    > scoot it up a bit to maintain the same leg extension.
    >
    > The Bacchetta web site indicates a difference of 1" (8" on the Strada and 9" on the Corsa), and
    > I'm wondering if this holds true in the real world.
    >

    > thanks a bunch
    >
    > Kevin "future Bacchetta owener" Abbott Kalamazoo, MI

  5. Harryo

    Harryo Guest

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Strada comes with 571mm wheels, Corsa with 650c wheels. So higher height on Corsa is due to
    > wheels. I notice no difference between Strada and Corsa with M5 seats.

    650c wheels are the same thing as ISO 571mm. No difference.

    Harry Jiles

  6. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Harry, Right. I noticed error after sending message. Strada comes with 559mm wheels.
    --
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

    "harryo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Strada comes with 571mm wheels, Corsa with 650c wheels. So higher
    height
    > > on Corsa is due to wheels. I notice no difference between Strada and
    Corsa
    > > with M5 seats.
    >
    > 650c wheels are the same thing as ISO 571mm. No difference.
    >
    > Harry Jiles

  7. Kevin Abbott

    Kevin Abbott Guest

    Thanks for the feedback. I am going to go ahead and get the M5 seat because I know that all I'll do
    is wonder about it if I don't.

    Well, if alll goes well I'll be rolling it out early next week.

    thanks again

    Kevin Abbott Kalamazoo, MI