Back in the USA (sorta beer / home report)

Sand Squid

Guest
The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
Jägermeister, they were divine.

Upon my arrival to Norfolk, VA I scouted out a few decent liquor stores
and found some goods to satisfy my craving for some "serious" hops. I
lucked out and after 4 stops I had a six pack each of: Dogfish Head
Brewery 60 Minute IPA, and Cottonwood Endo IPA, coupled with a bottle
of Buffalo Trace has made for several enjoyable evenings while I try to
fight through the De-Mob Porcess and get my ass back to home.

Hanging out in the "smoke pit" several picnic tables, and a BBQ stand
in th courtyard of the B.E.Q.( Bachelor Enlisted Quarters.... think of
a big cheap military only hotel) surrouded by dozens folks young
enough to be my children doing keg stands and being about the only
married one among them is a "different" experience to say the least...
It was not easy to decline the blatant advances of drunked 20 year old
females at first but it's getting much easier now. (Nice to see not
much has changed in Norfolk in the past 20 years ;-)

No riding yet. I shipped my Van Dessel SS home via Military Air Cargo a
week before I broke camp, so I've been relegated to spining on the
stationary bike in the Gym while grooving to my iPod. There is a
Scalpel w/ w Left HeadShok chained to the bike rack every night. I have
not found the owner yet, but I thought to leave a note on his steed
begging for a rip around the Base. I know it sounds like a wierd thing
to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in almost a year, and
I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a CrapN'Fail.

Some things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
after almost 9 months in the Desert:

Of course the essentials: beer, and beautiful women.
Wearing something (anything) other than DCU's
Seeing any color besides "brown" and "sand"
Trees, shrubs flowers and foliage of ay kind
The feel of grass (lawn type ;-) between your toes
Laying on your back on a freshly mowed lawn and watching CLOUDS roll
by.
Rain, ohh god rain felt so good! aboyt a 3 dozen of us were just
standing outside in the pouring rain two nights ago, it was AMAZING.
Not having to get dressed and pull on your boots and hike 100 Meters to
use the latrine in the middle of the night.

When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

Sand Squid wrote:

> When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
> E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
> entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
> will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

WTF is that supposed to mean? Does he think he's protecting the rest of
the country? He needs to read the latest out of W. House to learn how
much his buddies deaths have been protecting his family back home.
Even the King is running out of excuses to be there.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/09/27/MNGC4LDHSF1.DTL

Shawn

Sand Squid wrote:
> The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
> The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.
>
> Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
> Jägermeister, they were divine.
>
> Upon my arrival to Norfolk, VA I scouted out a few decent liquor
> stores and found some goods to satisfy my craving for some "serious"
> hops. I lucked out and after 4 stops I had a six pack each of:
> Dogfish Head Brewery 60 Minute IPA, and Cottonwood Endo IPA, coupled
> with a bottle of Buffalo Trace has made for several enjoyable
> evenings while I try to fight through the De-Mob Porcess and get my
> ass back to home.
>
> Hanging out in the "smoke pit" several picnic tables, and a BBQ stand
> in th courtyard of the B.E.Q.( Bachelor Enlisted Quarters.... think of
> a big cheap military only hotel) surrouded by dozens folks young
> enough to be my children doing keg stands and being about the only
> married one among them is a "different" experience to say the least...
> It was not easy to decline the blatant advances of drunked 20 year old
> females at first but it's getting much easier now. (Nice to see not
> much has changed in Norfolk in the past 20 years ;-)
>
> No riding yet. I shipped my Van Dessel SS home via Military Air Cargo
> a week before I broke camp, so I've been relegated to spining on the
> stationary bike in the Gym while grooving to my iPod. There is a
> Scalpel w/ w Left HeadShok chained to the bike rack every night. I
> have not found the owner yet, but I thought to leave a note on his
> steed begging for a rip around the Base. I know it sounds like a
> wierd thing to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in
> almost a year, and I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a
> CrapN'Fail.
>
> Some things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
> after almost 9 months in the Desert:
>
> Of course the essentials: beer, and beautiful women.
> Wearing something (anything) other than DCU's
> Seeing any color besides "brown" and "sand"
> Trees, shrubs flowers and foliage of ay kind
> The feel of grass (lawn type ;-) between your toes
> Laying on your back on a freshly mowed lawn and watching CLOUDS roll
> by.
> Rain, ohh god rain felt so good! aboyt a 3 dozen of us were just
> standing outside in the pouring rain two nights ago, it was AMAZING.
> Not having to get dressed and pull on your boots and hike 100 Meters
> to use the latrine in the middle of the night.
>

> When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
> E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
> entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
> will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

Welcome home, John. And thanks. (MOST of us appreciate what you do.)

Bill S.

Shawn wrote:
> Sand Squid wrote:
>

> > When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
> > E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
> > entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
> > will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

> WTF is that supposed to mean?

It means you need to walk a mile in another Man's shoes.

JD

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:37:58 -0700, Sand Squid <[email protected]> wrote:

> The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
> The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.
>
> Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
> Jägermeister, they were divine.
>
> Upon my arrival to Norfolk, VA I scouted out a few decent liquor stores
> and found some goods to satisfy my craving for some "serious" hops. I
> lucked out and after 4 stops I had a six pack each of: Dogfish Head
> Brewery 60 Minute IPA, and Cottonwood Endo IPA, coupled with a bottle
> of Buffalo Trace has made for several enjoyable evenings while I try to
> fight through the De-Mob Porcess and get my ass back to home.
>
> Hanging out in the "smoke pit" several picnic tables, and a BBQ stand
> in th courtyard of the B.E.Q.( Bachelor Enlisted Quarters.... think of
> a big cheap military only hotel) surrouded by dozens folks young
> enough to be my children doing keg stands and being about the only
> married one among them is a "different" experience to say the least...
> It was not easy to decline the blatant advances of drunked 20 year old
> females at first but it's getting much easier now. (Nice to see not
> much has changed in Norfolk in the past 20 years ;-)
>
> No riding yet. I shipped my Van Dessel SS home via Military Air Cargo a
> week before I broke camp, so I've been relegated to spining on the
> stationary bike in the Gym while grooving to my iPod. There is a
> Scalpel w/ w Left HeadShok chained to the bike rack every night. I have
> not found the owner yet, but I thought to leave a note on his steed
> begging for a rip around the Base. I know it sounds like a wierd thing
> to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in almost a year, and
> I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a CrapN'Fail.
>
> Some things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
> after almost 9 months in the Desert:
>
> Of course the essentials: beer, and beautiful women.
> Wearing something (anything) other than DCU's
> Seeing any color besides "brown" and "sand"
> Trees, shrubs flowers and foliage of ay kind
> The feel of grass (lawn type ;-) between your toes
> Laying on your back on a freshly mowed lawn and watching CLOUDS roll
> by.
> Rain, ohh god rain felt so good! aboyt a 3 dozen of us were just
> standing outside in the pouring rain two nights ago, it was AMAZING.
> Not having to get dressed and pull on your boots and hike 100 Meters to
> use the latrine in the middle of the night.
>

> When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
> E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
> entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
> will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

Welcome back - home! And may your next tour end exactly the same way.
--
Slack

Sand Squid wrote:
> The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!

If'n you make it over to the Left Coast by chance, I'd like to buy you
a beer...after riding bikes of course.

JD

Sand Squid wrote:
> The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
> The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.
>
> Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
> Jägermeister, they were divine.
>
> Upon my arrival to Norfolk, VA I scouted out a few decent liquor stores
> and found some goods to satisfy my craving for some "serious" hops. I
> lucked out and after 4 stops I had a six pack each of: Dogfish Head
> Brewery 60 Minute IPA, and Cottonwood Endo IPA, coupled with a bottle
> of Buffalo Trace has made for several enjoyable evenings while I try to
> fight through the De-Mob Porcess and get my ass back to home.
>
> Hanging out in the "smoke pit" several picnic tables, and a BBQ stand
> in th courtyard of the B.E.Q.( Bachelor Enlisted Quarters.... think of
> a big cheap military only hotel) surrouded by dozens folks young
> enough to be my children doing keg stands and being about the only
> married one among them is a "different" experience to say the least...
> It was not easy to decline the blatant advances of drunked 20 year old
> females at first but it's getting much easier now. (Nice to see not
> much has changed in Norfolk in the past 20 years ;-)
>
> No riding yet. I shipped my Van Dessel SS home via Military Air Cargo a
> week before I broke camp, so I've been relegated to spining on the
> stationary bike in the Gym while grooving to my iPod. There is a
> Scalpel w/ w Left HeadShok chained to the bike rack every night. I have
> not found the owner yet, but I thought to leave a note on his steed
> begging for a rip around the Base. I know it sounds like a wierd thing
> to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in almost a year, and
> I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a CrapN'Fail.
>
> Some things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
> after almost 9 months in the Desert:
>
> Of course the essentials: beer, and beautiful women.
> Wearing something (anything) other than DCU's
> Seeing any color besides "brown" and "sand"
> Trees, shrubs flowers and foliage of ay kind
> The feel of grass (lawn type ;-) between your toes
> Laying on your back on a freshly mowed lawn and watching CLOUDS roll
> by.
> Rain, ohh god rain felt so good! aboyt a 3 dozen of us were just
> standing outside in the pouring rain two nights ago, it was AMAZING.
> Not having to get dressed and pull on your boots and hike 100 Meters to
> use the latrine in the middle of the night.
>

> When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
> E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
> entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
> will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

Thank you for your service to our country.

Sand Squid wrote:
> When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
> E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
> entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
> will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

Thanks a lot! Get a ride in soon.

If FDR fought fascism the way Bush fights terrorism, we'd all be
speaking German now.

Shawn wrote:
> Sand Squid wrote:
>

>> When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
>> E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
>> entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
>> will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

> WTF is that supposed to mean? Does he think he's protecting the rest of
> the country? He needs to read the latest out of W. House to learn how
> much his buddies deaths have been protecting his family back home.
> Even the King is running out of excuses to be there.
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/09/27/MNGC4LDHSF1.DTL

Remember your most "epic" mtb ride. My guess is, every patrol the Army
does is worse.

If you're saying that all that hard work and sacrifice is probably going
to mean squat, then I hope you're wrong, think you're right.

JD wrote:
> Shawn wrote:
>
>>Sand Squid wrote:
>>

>>>When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
>>>E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
>>>entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
>>>will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

>>WTF is that supposed to mean?

> It means you need to walk a mile in another Man's shoes.

I get the metaphor and all. My point was; them being over there is
making us less safe by the admission of the W House, so what's the point?
My father died in a pointless war, it sickens me to see it happening
again, and bothers me that the ones dieing now think they're doing
something with a beneficial purpose.
They're not. They are just dieing. Time to bring them home.

Shawn

Sand Squid wrote:
> The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
> The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.
>
> Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
> Jägermeister, they were divine.
>
> Upon my arrival to Norfolk, VA I scouted out a few decent liquor stores
> and found some goods to satisfy my craving for some "serious" hops. I
> lucked out and after 4 stops I had a six pack each of: Dogfish Head
> Brewery 60 Minute IPA, and Cottonwood Endo IPA, coupled with a bottle
> of Buffalo Trace has made for several enjoyable evenings while I try to
> fight through the De-Mob Porcess and get my ass back to home.
>
> Hanging out in the "smoke pit" several picnic tables, and a BBQ stand
> in th courtyard of the B.E.Q.( Bachelor Enlisted Quarters.... think of
> a big cheap military only hotel) surrouded by dozens folks young
> enough to be my children doing keg stands and being about the only
> married one among them is a "different" experience to say the least...
> It was not easy to decline the blatant advances of drunked 20 year old
> females at first but it's getting much easier now. (Nice to see not
> much has changed in Norfolk in the past 20 years ;-)
>
> No riding yet. I shipped my Van Dessel SS home via Military Air Cargo a
> week before I broke camp, so I've been relegated to spining on the
> stationary bike in the Gym while grooving to my iPod. There is a
> Scalpel w/ w Left HeadShok chained to the bike rack every night. I have
> not found the owner yet, but I thought to leave a note on his steed
> begging for a rip around the Base. I know it sounds like a wierd thing
> to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in almost a year, and
> I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a CrapN'Fail.
>
> Some things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
> after almost 9 months in the Desert:
>
> Of course the essentials: beer, and beautiful women.
> Wearing something (anything) other than DCU's
> Seeing any color besides "brown" and "sand"
> Trees, shrubs flowers and foliage of ay kind
> The feel of grass (lawn type ;-) between your toes
> Laying on your back on a freshly mowed lawn and watching CLOUDS roll
> by.
> Rain, ohh god rain felt so good! aboyt a 3 dozen of us were just
> standing outside in the pouring rain two nights ago, it was AMAZING.
> Not having to get dressed and pull on your boots and hike 100 Meters to
> use the latrine in the middle of the night.
>

> When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
> E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
> entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
> will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

Congratulations, and thank you for you sacrifice and service. I like
the freedom quote. Reminds me of the comments a group of Iranian
refugees made to me over dinner one night, when I asked them what they
impressed them the most when they came to America. They said
everybody smiles here, and you don't have to live in constant terror.
That's freedom. It's not the perfect, but it's the best thing going.
They also asked if there was any chance George Bush could continue his
advance and liberate their country, too.

So go stand in the rain and drink some good beer, have a ride, get home
and jump on your woman, soldier, (in whateve order you like). You've
certainly earned it, and for that again, I thank you.

CDB

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:37:58 -0700, Sand Squid wrote:

> The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
> The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.
>
> Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
> Jägermeister, they were divine.
>
> Upon my arrival to Norfolk, VA I scouted out a few decent liquor stores
> and found some goods to satisfy my craving for some "serious" hops. I
> lucked out and after 4 stops I had a six pack each of: Dogfish Head
> Brewery 60 Minute IPA, and Cottonwood Endo IPA, coupled with a bottle
> of Buffalo Trace has made for several enjoyable evenings while I try to
> fight through the De-Mob Porcess and get my ass back to home.
>
> Hanging out in the "smoke pit" several picnic tables, and a BBQ stand
> in th courtyard of the B.E.Q.( Bachelor Enlisted Quarters.... think of
> a big cheap military only hotel) surrouded by dozens folks young
> enough to be my children doing keg stands and being about the only
> married one among them is a "different" experience to say the least...
> It was not easy to decline the blatant advances of drunked 20 year old
> females at first but it's getting much easier now. (Nice to see not
> much has changed in Norfolk in the past 20 years ;-)
>
> No riding yet. I shipped my Van Dessel SS home via Military Air Cargo a
> week before I broke camp, so I've been relegated to spining on the
> stationary bike in the Gym while grooving to my iPod. There is a
> Scalpel w/ w Left HeadShok chained to the bike rack every night. I have
> not found the owner yet, but I thought to leave a note on his steed
> begging for a rip around the Base. I know it sounds like a wierd thing
> to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in almost a year, and
> I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a CrapN'Fail.
>
> Some things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
> after almost 9 months in the Desert:
>
> Of course the essentials: beer, and beautiful women.
> Wearing something (anything) other than DCU's
> Seeing any color besides "brown" and "sand"
> Trees, shrubs flowers and foliage of ay kind
> The feel of grass (lawn type ;-) between your toes
> Laying on your back on a freshly mowed lawn and watching CLOUDS roll
> by.
> Rain, ohh god rain felt so good! aboyt a 3 dozen of us were just
> standing outside in the pouring rain two nights ago, it was AMAZING.
> Not having to get dressed and pull on your boots and hike 100 Meters to
> use the latrine in the middle of the night.
>

> When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
> E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
> entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
> will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

Thank you for your service!! Glad you're back safe and sound.
(Cold beer & Hot Women) Indeed! :)

-Grig

Paladin wrote:

> They also asked if there was any chance George Bush could continue his
> advance and liberate their country, too.

Welcome back, Clyde, and sorry to hear it's not for good.

And also sorry to see that there are so many people willing to use your
return as an opportunity to make cheap political points. You and others
like you deserve better.

CC

Sand Squid wrote:
> The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
> The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.
>
> When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
> E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
> entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
> will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

Welcome back John!
I read the quote loud and clear.
Thanks for all that you do...
Just remember if we meet the beer is on me!

I hope you enjoy the living hell out your time off...

Jimbo(san)

In the previous article, Sand Squid <[email protected]> wrote:
> The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
> The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

You didn't have to go, but you did. Thank you.

If you like tasty IPAs and you find yourself out Michigan way, drop me
a line and I would be honored to buy you an Arcadia.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

[email protected]lid (J.D. Baldwin) wrote:

>In the previous article, Sand Squid <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
>> The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

>You didn't have to go, but you did. Thank you.
>
>If you like tasty IPAs and you find yourself out Michigan way, drop me
>a line and I would be honored to buy you an Arcadia.

Put me down for the free beer list if you find your way to Arizona.

Welcome home, and thanks for your service to our country.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

"Sand Squid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
>The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour
>in March.

(snip John Wayne)

Dear Gomer,

The sad fact is that you are merely a too; commanded by a fool. Get used to
the commute, as W's war is just starting. I bet you wished you kept your day
job as a Memphis meter maid.

>The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
>The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour
>in March.

(snip John Wayne)

Dear Gomer,

The sad fact is that you are merely a tool commanded by a fool. Get used to
the commute, as W's war is just starting. I bet you wished you kept your day
job as a Memphis meter maid.

You ever taken hostile fire while out on patrol? Ever run to a bunker
under incoming mortars? Perhaps, taken a round in the chest plate of
your body armor? Stood over the smouldering remains of men, women and
children murdered by an IED because they didn't share the same
religious or political views as you??? Didn't think so.

But that's really okay with me.... Tell you what; You just go ahead and
keep living in your pathetic state of denial, and false sense of
security and enjoying your liberties and freedoms, and I'll keep going
out putting my life on the line to defend your rights to express your
opinions without fear of public execution for daring to express them.

--
"Are those cold yet?"

Shawn wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > Shawn wrote:
> >>WTF is that supposed to mean?

> > It means you need to walk a mile in another Man's shoes.

> I get the metaphor and all. My point was; them being over there is
> making us less safe by the admission of the W House, so what's the point?

The point is; I'd rather play the "away game" so we never have to
expose our families to the "home game", again.