BASSO admits doping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerful Pete

May 29, 2004
Basso has admitted that he doped with Fuentes, and has asked to collaborate with the authorities. He hopes to have a lessened suspension as a result.

Gazzetta dello Sport link to the article here. It has also been confirmed on the Coni (Italian Olympic Federation) website at www.coni.it http://www.coni.it.

Powerful Pete said:
Basso has admitted that he doped with Fuentes, and has asked to collaborate with the authorities. He hopes to have a lessened suspension as a result.

Gazzetta dello Sport link to the article here. It has also been confirmed on the Coni (Italian Olympic Federation) website at www.coni.it .
I was expecting him to cut a deal when he abruptly left Disco and announced he was not doing the Giro.

I cannot imagine he would give information on anyone other than Fuentes. Would he really talk about Disco and their twenty-five injections a day, or CSC?

Bro Deal said:
I was expecting him to cut a deal when he abruptly left Disco and announced he was not doing the Giro.

I cannot imagine he would give information on anyone other than Fuentes. Would he really talk about Disco and their twenty-five injections a day, or CSC?
Don't know. Really don't know. He sent in his lawyer, who discussed with the CONI boys, and then spilled the beans in a law firm's office in a posh Rome neighbourhood. I guess it depends on what he is offered in exchange for full collaboration. Let us see. I do not know what (and if?) CONI can offer him a shortened suspension in exchange for info on what is going on with other teams?

I really do wonder if the CSC and Discovery boys will be sleeping soundly tonight...

Powerful Pete said:
I really do wonder if the CSC and Discovery boys will be sleeping soundly tonight...

Riis and Bruyneel are having a beer as we speak getting their stories straight..... see other thread for McQuaid's comments.... 2 years no deal for Basso...

whiteboytrash said:
Riis and Bruyneel are having a beer as we speak getting their stories straight..... see other thread for McQuaid's comments.... 2 years no deal for Basso...
Pardon my ignorance, but institutionally who imposes an eventual ban - the Italian cycling federation or UCI? Apparently Basso is angling for a retroactive 2 year suspension which would make it possible for him to come back in time for next year's Giro. Who calls the shots on that one? :confused:

Powerful Pete said:
Pardon my ignorance, but institutionally who imposes an eventual ban - the Italian cycling federation or UCI? Apparently Basso is angling for a retroactive 2 year suspension which would make it possible for him to come back in time for next year's Giro. Who calls the shots on that one? :confused:

UCI president Pat McQuaid concerning speculation that a deal might be done between Basso and CONI. "There is no provision for a reduced sentence," he said then. "The WADA rules apply and the minimum sentence is two years, whether it is for admittance or non-admittance of an offence. The only time when you get less than two years is if you can prove it was mistaken or it was taken in foodstuffs, that kind of thing. But if you have been willingly involved in a doping activity, it is two years.
____

CONI apply the ban and its length but most uphold the UCI's rules.

whiteboytrash said:
UCI president Pat McQuaid concerning speculation that a deal might be done between Basso and CONI. "There is no provision for a reduced sentence," he said then. "The WADA rules apply and the minimum sentence is two years, whether it is for admittance or non-admittance of an offence. The only time when you get less than two years is if you can prove it was mistaken or it was taken in foodstuffs, that kind of thing. But if you have been willingly involved in a doping activity, it is two years.
____

I think Basso is complying more for avoiding being charged with fraud rather than getting a cycling ban..... Daddy's no good in jail and you can't win the Giro from there !

Powerful Pete said:
I think he will get some credit for being out last season. It is fair. The question is how does the racing he did the Spring fit in. If they enforce the two years then I think he should be given the six months from last year, subtract a month for this year's racing, and have his ban extend to the end of July next year.

I wonder if he admits to doping with Fuentes without admitting that he was doping during last year's Giro. It seems like he would be on the hook for fraud for the Giro but not necessarily for the Tour if he was just preparing to dope.

Powerful Pete said:
It would be sweet to see Disco hoisted on their own petard. Surely they would have switched Basso to their own in house doping services.

whiteboytrash said:
____

Again McQuaid tells about things he know nothing about. According to WADA rules there are possiblities for reduced sanctions if an athlete collaborates with the anti-doping authorities. But this isn't new (that McQuaid tells things which are well... you know.. )

cyclingheroes said:
Again McQuaid tells about things he know nothing about. According to WADA rules there are possiblities for reduced sanctions if an athlete collaborates with the anti-doping authorities. But this isn't new (that McQuaid tells things which are well... you know.. )
Not just WADA. THe UCI's own rules state:

"The Hearing Panel may also reduce the period of ineligibility in an individual case where the License-Holder has provided substantial assistance which results in discovering or establishing an anti-doping rule violation by another Person involving Possession under article 15.6.2 (Possession by Rider Support Personnel), article 15.7 (Trafficking), or article 15.8 (administration to a Rider). The reduced period of Ineligibility may not, however, be less, in principle, than one-half of the minimum period of ineligibility otherwise applicable. If the otherwise applicable period of ineligibility is a life-time, the reduced period under this Article may be no less than 8 (eight) years."

- - - -
1998 Tour de France
Festina medical team member ***** Voet is arrested at the French border before the start of the Tour after customs officers seized banned substances, including the blood-boosting drug erythropoietin (EPO).
Festina are kicked out of the race and their riders later admit to taking performance-enhancing drugs. Top rider Richard Virenque is banned for nine months, team director Bruno Roussel and Voet are fined and given suspended jail sentences.
- - - -
1999 Giro d'Italia
Tour and Giro champion Marco Pantani of Italy is expelled while leading race after failing a blood haematocrit test.
- - - -
2001 Giro d'Italia
France's Pascal Herve is retired from the Giro by his Alexia team after failing a test for EPO. Mercatone Uno rider Riccardo Forconi does not start 17th stage after failing a dope test.
Police officers search the rooms of riders from all 20 teams confiscating medicines. Organisers cancel the 18th stage when riders call a meeting to discuss the raids.

Second-placed Dario Frigo is sacked by Fassa Bortolo after illegal drugs are found in his room. Frigo later admits to carrying them as security in case he needed a boost during the final stages of the race.
An insulin syringe found in a room where Pantani stayed leads to a six-month ban for the Italian.
- - - -
2002 Giro d'Italia
Italian Nicola Chesini is arrested by police after the fifth stage as part of a probe into the sale of performance-enhancing drugs.
Race favourite and 2000 winner Stefano Garzelli tests positive for the banned diuretic and masking agent probenecid and is expelled from the race. He is given a nine-month ban.

Gilberto Simoni, the 2001 champion, tests positive for cocaine. He is withdrawn from the Giro but is later cleared by the Italian Cycling Federation.

Italian Roberto Sgambelluri and Russian Faat Zakirov become first professional cyclists to be caught using NESP -- an improved form of EPO -- and quit the Giro.
- - - -
2002 Tour de France
The wife of Lithuanian rider Raimondas Rumsas, is arrested after French police find doping substances in the boot of her car. Edita Rumsas said the stock was for her sick mother.

Rumsas, who finished third in the Tour, denies his wife obtained doping products for him and that he ever took any.
- - - -
2003 Giro d'Italia
Rumsas is suspended by his Lampre team in June after failing a drugs test during the race in which he finished sixth overall.
- - - -
2006 Tour de France
American Floyd Landis becomes the first Tour winner to fail a drugs test after testing positive for the male sex hormone testosterone during the race.

Landis, who denies using performance-enhancing drugs, is due to appear before the U.S. Anti-Doping agency on May 14.

Germany's 1997 Tour winner Jan Ullrich, Giro d'Italia champion Ivan Basso are among nine competitors withdrawn on the eve of the prologue after being implicated in a Spanish doping investigation, Operation Puerto.
Ullrich is subsequently sacked by his T-Mobile team and retires from competition in February.

DNA tests confirm that some of the bags of blood seized in Operation Puerto belongs to Ullrich, the Bonn state prosecutor's office says in April.
Having dropped their investigation into Basso last October, the Italian Olympic Committee reopen it and he appears before a doping hearing on May 2. Five days later, Basso admits his involvement in the scandal.

OK here's a question. If Basso is found to have doped before the 2006 Giro can they strip him of the title? If they can and do, then Gutierrez of the now defunct Phonak would be declared the winner and Simoni second???

davidbod said:
OK here's a question. If Basso is found to have doped before the 2006 Giro can they strip him of the title? If they can and do, then Gutierrez of the now defunct Phonak would be declared the winner and Simoni second???
Well, Gutierrez is implicated in Puerto, so maybe Simoni won last year?

On another thought, If Landis is stripped of his title, does anyone think that Pirrero (Valverde's team mate) is any less likely to get caught up in OP? Who was 3rd again??

OK I just reviewed the top five for last year's TDF. Is Cadel Evans the real winner?

davidbod said:
On another thought, If Landis is stripped of his title, does anyone think that Pirrero (Valverde's team mate) is any less likely to get caught up in OP? Who was 3rd again??
1 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak 89.39.30
2 Oscar Pereiro (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears 0.57
3 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile 1.29
4 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC 3.13
5 Cadel Evans (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto 5.08
6 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 7.06
7 Cyril Dessel (Fra) AG2R-Prevoyance 8.41
8 Christophe Moreau (Fra) AG2R-Prevoyance 9.37
9 Haimar Zubeldia (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 12.05
10 Michael Rogers (Aus) T-Mobile 15.07
11 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC 17.46
12 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Fondital 19.19

Could well be that Cadel Evan's is the "winner". But I think it's unlikely that all four people in front of him will be taken down.

davidbod said:
OK I just reviewed the top five for last year's TDF. Is Cadel Evans the real winner?
As I wrote before today: don't forget Sastre :).

Or do you think he was doping too?

Eldrack said:
1 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak 89.39.30
2 Oscar Pereiro (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears 0.57
3 Andreas Klöden (Ger) T-Mobile 1.29
4 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Team CSC 3.13
5 Cadel Evans (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto 5.08
6 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank 7.06
7 Cyril Dessel (Fra) AG2R-Prevoyance 8.41
8 Christophe Moreau (Fra) AG2R-Prevoyance 9.37
9 Haimar Zubeldia (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 12.05
10 Michael Rogers (Aus) T-Mobile 15.07
11 Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC 17.46
12 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Fondital 19.19

Could well be that Cadel Evan's is the "winner". But I think it's unlikely that all four people in front of him will be taken down.
The "real" winner without dope was likely Dessel or Moreau.

Status
Not open for further replies.