BASSO admits doping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fscyclist said:
It was on the front page of Yahoo! earlier today (that's how I found out about it), but now has been eclipsed by an article about David Hasselhoff...

It won't get much/any attention. I've actually been impressed by the attention the Landis situation has garnered, but I think that is only because Landis and his PR entourage have forced it on the media. Unfortunately the mass media reporting of Landis has been completely one sided. Most reporters are just repeating everything the Landis camp spews without investigating or even fact checking prior to publication.
I agree it won't get much coverage in the MSM, let alone presented in such a way as to suggest that Armstrong must have been doping during his reign. The only way that would happen is if Basso were to reveal a bunch of inside information about a team-orchestrated doping program at Disco, with Armstrong's direct knowledge or involvement. I consider that an extremely unlikely scenario.

Here is an excerpt from DC's response:

"Ivan Basso today admitted to being involved in the Operation Puerto doping scandal and to have had ties with Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes prior to being signed as a member of the 2007 Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team. “I was quite surprised that Basso has now confirmed that he had in fact been involved with Dr. Fuentes. He assured us that he was not a party to the allegations surrounding him and we required him to sign a contract stating he would provide his DNA if asked,” stated Team General Manager Bill Stapleton. “As I stated prior, we did our due diligence prior to signing Ivan. Both the CONI and FCI had cleared him to race and we received assurances that he was not involved. We did our homework on the case and this is now an issue for Basso and CONI to determine.” The Discovery Channel Professional Cycling Team continues to maintain a longstanding, "no tolerance" policy with respect to the use of performance-enhancing drugs. No rider has ever had a positive test during the 12 seasons the team has competed...."

musette said:

"Ivan Basso today admitted to being involved in the Operation Puerto doping scandal and to have had ties with Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes prior to being signed as a member of the 2007 Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team. “I was quite surprised that Basso has now confirmed that he had in fact been involved with Dr. Fuentes. He assured us that he was not a party to the allegations surrounding him and we required him to sign a contract stating he would provide his DNA if asked,” stated Team General Manager Bill Stapleton. “As I stated prior, we did our due diligence prior to signing Ivan. Both the CONI and FCI had cleared him to race and we received assurances that he was not involved. We did our homework on the case and this is now an issue for Basso and CONI to determine.” The Discovery Channel Professional Cycling Team continues to maintain a longstanding, "no tolerance" policy with respect to the use of performance-enhancing drugs. No rider has ever had a positive test during the 12 seasons the team has competed...."
Except for Armstrong and his six EPO positives...

Bro Deal said:
Don't bet on it. There will be a small article buried in the sports section of newspapers. There probably won't be any TV coverage at all.

Most U.S. cycling fans have come to realize that the whole sport is dirty; even the thickest of fans have come around to admitting that (check out bobke for instance). The average person does not know jack about the sport and does not care; they will always buy into Armstrong's lies.
Some truth here. But the ones who don't follow the sport probably don't so much believe Armstrong as perhaps want to believe in conspiracy by the ingrateful French. As you say, more pronounced is the American concern with say steroids in baseball, because baseball has the marketing and the following.
Over in Europe, assuming Basso opens up completely, what then of the international soccer and tennis stars? or must cycling be the only sport to be exposed?

fbircher said:
I agree it won't get much coverage in the MSM, let alone presented in such a way as to suggest that Armstrong must have been doping during his reign. The only way that would happen is if Basso were to reveal a bunch of inside information about a team-orchestrated doping program at Disco, with Armstrong's direct knowledge or involvement. I consider that an extremely unlikely scenario.
Armstrong's untouchable. If six positive EPO tests don't bring you down, there is little that can. He's also too protected and removed from the riders.

I really wonder what, if anything, Basso could reveal. If he had a source I'm sure it was some peon that was making 30K a year and is setup to be the 'fall guy' in such a scenario. Even if that guys rolls under pressure I doubt he even met the next guy in the chain. Hopefully some insight into the organization will come out but I imagine the investigation will take months to years.

musette said:

Gee what a surprise. And I thought that they were finally going to own up.

fbircher said:
They'd have to be crazy. If it turns out this way, then Fuentes has no future as a dope supplier. Maybe he'll decide to make his money selling his story, naming names and spilling the dirt. Maybe he'll have to provide this info just to avoid or minimize a prison sentence?
Fuentes will make more money selling his omerta to the other great names of different sports like tennis or football. I'm sure that a N.d.l or a R.n.ld.nho could give a lot of money.

whiteboytrash said:
True... good points... this news has just been released and is interesting:

The office of the anti-doping power of attorney has listened today to Ivan Basso," the CONI Web statement said. "He has widely admitted his own responsibilities relative to Operation Puerto 'and has supplied the maximum collaboration in order to clear up the relative facts of his involvement."

CONI, which acts as Italy's anti-doping body, said Basso had made an impromptu appearance to the authorities Monday to explain his position. He had appeared before a CONI doping hearing Wednesday which was adjourned with no new date fixed.

The Italian cyclist's lawyer, Massimo Martelli, said his client spoke about "methods with which this activity was carried out."

Martelli said he could not disclose the exact contents of what Basso told the CONI prosecutor because the transcript was sealed.

"Basso said, 'The moment has come for me to assume my responsibilities. I only hope that I will be understood,' " Martelli said, adding the rider would "plan his future around the fight against doping."

Basso will not be implicating other riders in the investigation, Martelli said. "This kind of activity was carried out individually," Martelli said in a telephone interview.
"He never saw or heard of other riders" being involved.
Is Basso going to reveal how it's done so that the UCI can work out how to stop it, so he can come back clean for the 2008 Giro and Tour knowing that no one will be riding against him using Fuentes style doping practises?

Or is he just going to hook up with a new supplier? And start all over again (as he tried to do with Disco's expert team?)

Rolfrae said:
Is Basso going to reveal how it's done so that the UCI can work out how to stop it, so he can come back clean for the 2008 Giro and Tour knowing that no one will be riding against him using Fuentes style doping practises?

Or is he just going to hook up with a new supplier? And start all over again (as he tried to do with Disco's expert team?)
If Lance was still riding and Basso attacked Lance would chase him down ridicule him and make rejoin the peleton for spitting in the soup..... LOL !

whiteboytrash said:
If Lance was still riding and Basso attacked Lance would chase him down ridicule him and make rejoin the peleton for spitting in the soup..... LOL !
He'd ride alongside Basso and say, "gee son, all you had to do was change your cadence - you didn't have to dope to win the Tour, dumb ass."

Rolfrae said:
He'd ride alongside Basso and say, "gee son, all you had to do was change your cadence - you didn't have to dope to win the Tour, dumb ass."
LOL ! Basso obviously doesn't love his sport ! Looking forward to his press conference today............……

Powerful Pete said:
Basso has admitted that he doped with Fuentes, and has asked to collaborate with the authorities. He hopes to have a lessened suspension as a result.

Gazzetta dello Sport link to the article here. It has also been confirmed on the Coni (Italian Olympic Federation) website at www.coni.it .
wqqq

Status
Not open for further replies.