Beginner needs advice

MeiLiMao

May 12, 2014
Hello! To start, I am trying to get a fitness routine going and I hate running. Always enjoy bikes against treadmills and running. So I want to invest in a bike. 1. I will be biking on paved black paths and dirt paths where I would ride. 2. Is there different "size" or "height" bikes? I'm 5' 2" and 120 pounds. I don't want to end up having a hard time getting on the bike. 3. Interested in schwinn under $250 but open to other suggestions in the price range. 4. Looking to use it for recreational fitness not for races...yet! Basically what do I need to look for in a bike? Anything to watch out for? Warnings? Any help is great :) thanks!

At 5'2", you might be able to get away with a kid's bike (which will also be cheaper). I'd highly recommend going to an actual bike shop (not a department store) and having them help you find something that fits properly. Bike come in a large range of sizes and there will definitely be a "right" size for you.

$250 is very low for a decent entry level bike. If you want something safe and reliable, I'd plan on upping that to the $400 range minimum unless you plan on buying used. Anything sold at a decent bike shop should be quality and safe. The Trek brand is good for entry level recreational bikes because they have a such a huge variety, including ones with frames shaped like this for ease of getting on/off and plenty of standover clearance (since those were concerns of yours). http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/recreation/verve_hybrid/verve_1_wsd/#