Bicycle warranty and riding on a trainer...

Rocket69

Dec 23, 2003
Hi all... I got a cracked BB shell on my AL C'dale... I mistakenly told my LBS that I rode my trainer all winter. Now, C'dale doesn't want to warranty the frame. It's only 10 months old! What gives... can they do that? What can I do?

Thanks for your help...

Roctet 69

What does your warranty say, i.e. does it call out riding in a trainer?

Here's the warranty statement from their website.

TERMS OF WARRANTY:
This warranty is not meant to suggest or imply that the bicycle cannot be broken or will last forever. It does mean that the bicycle is covered subject to the terms of the warranty.

This warranty only applies to the original owner of a Cannondale bicycle and is not transferable to subsequent owners.

For any warranty claim to be considered, the bicycle must be brought in to an Authorized Cannondale Bicycle Retailer in assembled condition and accompanied by the original, dated sales receipt for the bicycle. (Be sure to keep your receipt in a safe place.)

This warranty only applies to bicycles purchased in fully assembled and adjusted condition from Authorized Cannondale Retailers or other outlets specifically authorized by Cannondale to distribute Cannondale bicycles.

This warranty is void if the bicycle is subjected to abuse, neglect, improper repair, alterations, modifications, an accident or other abnormal, excessive, or improper conditions.

Damage resulting from normal wear and tear, including the results of fatigue, is not covered. Fatigue damage is a symptom of the frame being worn out through use. It is one kind of wear and tear. See sections 5, A and D.

Damage resulting from improper assembly or maintenance, or from installation of parts and accessories not compatible with the Cannondale bicycle is not covered.

All labor charges for warranty service are the responsibility of the bicycle's owner.

During the acceptable duration of this warranty, Cannondale will either repair any defective frame, or, at our option, replace any defective frame with the same or most nearly comparable model then available. THIS IS THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY UNDER THIS WARRANTY. ANY AND ALL OTHER REMEDIES THAT MAY OTHERWISE BE APPLICABLE ARE EXCLUDED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.

THIS IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY CANNONDALE ON ITS FRAMES AND COMPONENTS. ANY WARRANTIES THAT MAY OTHER-WISE BE IMPLIED BY LAW INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE LIMITED TO THE APPLICABLE DURATION OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.

Please refer to the documents included with your bicycle for possible further restrictions.

This Limited Warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights. The consumer may also have other legal rights which vary from state to state. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages or limitations on how long implied warranties last, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you.

It sounds like they may be taking the position that the damage is not due to parts failure or workmanship problems, but due to abuse on your part. However, if you are only using a product in a reasonable and customary way, and they have not specifically made a provision to exclude warranty coverage for that type of use, you have grounds to hold them to their warranty.

If they are trying to say that the issue represents normal wear and tear or fatigue damage on only a 10 month-old frame, I would think that you could easily argue otherwise as well.

Most product warranties are similarly worded. When in a situation like this, it is all about who does a better job of stating their case, and how adamant and professional the customer is about obtaining their coverage. If they put together a good enough argument and don't back down, they usually stand a good chance of obtaining their coverage. I would be surprised if your LBS wouldn't back you up with this either.

If nothing else, get all the information that you can from them before getting with an attorney. At least then you could get a better idea of how the law would see your situation.

Good luck!