Specialized Bicycle Warranty

Robert Hann

Sep 20, 2004
I was looking at the Specialized Bicycle website today and under the general bicycle manual section under tech it says that the Specialized Bicycle frame warranty is lifetime for steel frames and only 5 years for aluminum or composit frames.

I was under the impression that Specialized offered a lifetime warrenty on all frames. What gives??????

Robert Hann said:
I was looking at the Specialized Bicycle website today and under the general bicycle manual section under tech it says that the Specialized Bicycle frame warranty is lifetime for steel frames and only 5 years for aluminum or composit frames.

I was under the impression that Specialized offered a lifetime warrenty on all frames. What gives??????

All of the "lifetime" warranties I've seen only cover defects in materials and workmanship. They exclude fatigue, wearout, or "wear and tear". Check the Specialized warranty for these exclusions.

If the 5 year warranty covers fatigue breakage or wearout of the frame, it's actually a good warranty. I'd think an aluminum or composite frame is more likely to get racing use than a steel frame these days, including high-miles hammering, sprinting, and crashes. Manufacturers can't leave themselves open to a lifetime of free replacements to racers...unless they charge all buyers for it in the price up front.