Big hill catagory

FHII

May 14, 2013
Hello,

There's a big hill close to me that I'm thinking of takling sometime soon to see if I can do it. it's 1.8 miles long and rises 365 feet. It's going to be a tough one!

I've read an old thread on this board concerning how to figure out hill catagories but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Does anyone know or want to venture an educated guess on what catagory this hill would be?

Thanks

Originally Posted by FHII .

Hello,

There's a big hill close to me that I'm thinking of takling sometime soon to see if I can do it. it's 1.8 miles long and rises 365 feet. It's going to be a tough one!

I've read an old thread on this board concerning how to figure out hill catagories but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Does anyone know or want to venture an educated guess on what catagory this hill would be?

Thanks
You can make it into a strava segment. Strava will probably tell you the category of the climb once the segment is created. It sounds like a cat 4 or maybe 3 climb.

FHII said:
Hello, There's a big hill close to me that I'm thinking of takling sometime soon to see if I can do it.  it's 1.8 miles long and rises 365 feet.  It's going to be a tough one!   I've read an old thread on this board concerning how to figure out hill catagories but I couldn't make heads or tails of it.  Does anyone know or want to venture an educated guess on what catagory this hill would be? Thanks
Technically, it's got enough elevation to be a rated climb, but given the grade is only, but given it's low grade of 3.8%, I don't think it wouldn't be categorized according to the UCI standards. That doesn't mean that Strava or MapMyRide wouldn't categorize it. I have no idea how they categorize climbs.

Catagories are for guys who race.

All you need to know is what gear you should be in to get to the top.

First time up it is sufficient to use your lowest gear - small in front; big in back. If that works out, try the next gear on your next trip.