Bike chains and special connecting links

Jose Capco

Guest
Dear NG,

Ok, so I had for the first time my chain broken went to the shop and
asked if I could have it relinked and they gave me a special connecting
link (see
http://pacbikes.com/images/library/site/chain_installation_mstr_03.jpg
). I joined the broken chain, but unfortunately I didnt set the chain
on the guide gears correctly (on the rearside there is the main bike
gear and 2 guide gears, I had the chain reversely placed on the
guide-gears)... so I thought I had to remove the link again....

I thought maybe the special connecting links aren't anymore
removable/reusable. So I tried removing the link next to it. I then
realized, too late, that I can't put the normal link back once I remove
it with the chaintool. Thus I went back to the shop and asked for
another special connecting link. I asked in advance if I am allowed to
remove the special connecting link in case I screwed up again with the
chain configuration and if i could reuse it... to my surprise the
shopkeeper told me I can do it! He tells me I have to just push the
side links towards each other. It didnt work for me, I even tried
pliers but once I put the special link in the chain and pull the chain
to fix it in the chain I am not able to reverse the process. Is there
anyway to remove and reuse the special link? I didnt messed up with the
guide-gears, but I had the chain now dragging through the metal cage as
seen the "wrong" part of the picture in
http://pacbikes.com/images/library/site/chain_installation_rw_03_ap.jpg
unfortunately the shopkeeper didnt notice that when I showed him I was
installing the chain and told me it was correct. I dont want to go
break another link and buy another special link, Ive spent enough for
today, so I would appreciate if someone could advise me on how I could
reopen and reuse my special link.

Sincerely,
Jose Capco

This might help http://www.theramp.net/craig/slinst.html but i know i have
seen some info on how to remove a SRAM powerlink which is what I think you
have, try a Google search.

SW

news:[email protected]...

On 2006-12-14, Jose Capco <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear NG,
>
> Ok, so I had for the first time my chain broken went to the shop and
> asked if I could have it relinked and they gave me a special connecting
> link (see
> http://pacbikes.com/images/library/site/chain_installation_mstr_03.jpg
> ). I joined the broken chain, but unfortunately I didnt set the chain
> on the guide gears correctly (on the rearside there is the main bike
> gear and 2 guide gears, I had the chain reversely placed on the
> guide-gears)... so I thought I had to remove the link again....

Easy mistake to make. You can also fix that without breaking the chain
by removing one of the jockey wheels. But it's easier to break the chain
since you have the SRAM quick link, once you get the knack of it.

> So I tried removing the link next to it. I then realized, too late,
> that I can't put the normal link back once I remove it with the
> chaintool. Thus I went back to the shop and asked for another special
> connecting link. I asked in advance if I am allowed to remove the
> special connecting link in case I screwed up again with the chain
> configuration and if i could reuse it... to my surprise the shopkeeper
> told me I can do it! He tells me I have to just push the side links
> towards each other. It didnt work for me, I even tried pliers but once
> I put the special link in the chain and pull the chain to fix it in
> the chain I am not able to reverse the process. Is there anyway to
> remove and reuse the special link?

Give the special link and a few links either side of it a bit of a wipe
so they're not all oily. Take the chain off the front chainring so it's
quite slack. Grip the special link between finger and thumb, pressing
gently on the sideplates, and slide one side of it one way while sliding
the other the other way. Which way to slide each side is obvious if you
look at the link. The point is, both sides have to be unhooked
_simultaneously_, then it's easy. Once each rivet is sitting in its
"secondary" hole (you will have brought the two rivets on either side of
the special link a little closer together), you can pull the sideplates
apart and it should all detach. You shouldn't need to use pliers, and
it's better not to because you don't want to risk bending the link.

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:17:40 -0600, Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:

>Easy mistake to make. You can also fix that without breaking the chain
>by removing one of the jockey wheels. But it's easier to break the chain
>since you have the SRAM quick link, once you get the knack of it.

Is the SRAM 10 speed link removable or one time use? I worked on one
in an SRAM 10 chain and couldn't open it. It was clean and relatively
new.

On 2006-12-15, Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:17:40 -0600, Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Easy mistake to make. You can also fix that without breaking the chain
>>by removing one of the jockey wheels. But it's easier to break the chain
>>since you have the SRAM quick link, once you get the knack of it.

> Is the SRAM 10 speed link removable or one time use? I worked on one
> in an SRAM 10 chain and couldn't open it. It was clean and relatively
> new.

I don't know about the 10 speed one, but the 9 and 8 speed ones
certainly are not one time use-- the whole point of them is you can take
the chain off whenever you need to clean it.

The SRAM link in the pictures you posted looked just the same. I didn't
realize SRAM made a 10 speed one.

Ben C wrote:
> On 2006-12-15, Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 12:17:40 -0600, Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Easy mistake to make. You can also fix that without breaking the chain
>>>by removing one of the jockey wheels. But it's easier to break the chain
>>>since you have the SRAM quick link, once you get the knack of it.

>>Is the SRAM 10 speed link removable or one time use? I worked on one
>>in an SRAM 10 chain and couldn't open it. It was clean and relatively
>>new.

> I don't know about the 10 speed one, but the 9 and 8 speed ones
> certainly are not one time use-- the whole point of them is you can take
> the chain off whenever you need to clean it.
>
> The SRAM link in the pictures you posted looked just the same. I didn't
> realize SRAM made a 10 speed one.

The Sram 10 speed link is intended for one time use only.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

On 2006-12-15, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ben C wrote:

>>>Is the SRAM 10 speed link removable or one time use? I worked on one
>>>in an SRAM 10 chain and couldn't open it. It was clean and relatively
>>>new.

>> I don't know about the 10 speed one, but the 9 and 8 speed ones
>> certainly are not one time use-- the whole point of them is you can take
>> the chain off whenever you need to clean it.
>>
>> The SRAM link in the pictures you posted looked just the same. I didn't
>> realize SRAM made a 10 speed one.

> The Sram 10 speed link is intended for one time use only.

I lost track.

The OP posted this picture of his chain:

http://pacbikes.com/images/library/site/chain_installation_mstr_03.jpg

which looks like a re-usable SRAM link, what they call a "Powerlink",
and I believe that must be an 8 or 9 speed chain.

But Paul Kopit is not the OP. We have moved on.

I tried Google, and it sounds like the SRAM 10 speed link is called a
"Powerlock", presumably is constructed differently, and I take your word
for it is for one time use only.

Ben C wrote:
> On 2006-12-15, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Ben C wrote:

>>>I don't know about the 10 speed one, but the 9 and 8 speed ones
>>>certainly are not one time use-- the whole point of them is you can take
>>>the chain off whenever you need to clean it.
>>>
>>>The SRAM link in the pictures you posted looked just the same. I didn't
>>>realize SRAM made a 10 speed one.

>>The Sram 10 speed link is intended for one time use only.

> I lost track.
>
> The OP posted this picture of his chain:
>
> http://pacbikes.com/images/library/site/chain_installation_mstr_03.jpg
>
> which looks like a re-usable SRAM link, what they call a "Powerlink",
> and I believe that must be an 8 or 9 speed chain.

Well, a) looks like a Connex link, b) like a powerlink.

> But Paul Kopit is not the OP. We have moved on.
>
> I tried Google, and it sounds like the SRAM 10 speed link is called a
> "Powerlock", presumably is constructed differently, and I take your word
> for it is for one time use only.

I think even SRAM thinks a 10 speed is too tricky to use the powerlock
more then once. Still a better solution then Campagnolo's or Shimano's.
If you want a reusable link on a 10 speed get the connex one. I use it
for 5 years now.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Lou Holtman wrote:
> Ben C wrote:

[...deleted...]

> >>The Sram 10 speed link is intended for one time use only.

[...deleted...]

> I think even SRAM thinks a 10 speed is too tricky to use the powerlock
> more then once. Still a better solution then Campagnolo's or Shimano's.
> If you want a reusable link on a 10 speed get the connex one. I use it
> for 5 years now.
>
> Lou

Why do you think it's one-time use only? The standalone powerlock
costs more than either the 10-speed superlink or connex links, and
considerably more than the (9-sp) reusable SRAM Powerlink. I'd be
pretty upset if I bought a new SRAM 10 chain and found out it costs
about $15 to remove the chain for cleaning. I too only use connex and
am surprised to finally see a 10-speed SRAM chain. It never would have
occured to me it's a one-time use link, as that would defeat the entire
purpose of the product. I suppose someone could call SRAM for
clarification (the website seems to imply it's reusable), but I've got
about a 2 year supply of Connex chains, so can wait for the answer.
There's still no stainless SRAM for salty rides.

Bill Westphal

Bill Westphal wrote:
> Lou Holtman wrote:
>
>>Ben C wrote:

> [...deleted...]

> [...deleted...]
>

>>I think even SRAM thinks a 10 speed is too tricky to use the powerlock
>>more then once. Still a better solution then Campagnolo's or Shimano's.
>>If you want a reusable link on a 10 speed get the connex one. I use it
>>for 5 years now.
>>
>>Lou

> Why do you think it's one-time use only?

Because SRAM says so. See the tecnical videos (cassette and chain) on
their website: NOT reusable, can NOT be opened by hand once installed etc.

> The standalone powerlock
> costs more than either the 10-speed superlink or connex links, and
> considerably more than the (9-sp) reusable SRAM Powerlink. I'd be
> pretty upset if I bought a new SRAM 10 chain and found out it costs
> about $15 to remove the chain for cleaning.

Well you upset now then. A powerlock costs about EURO 4 here in Europe
and it is cheaper than a 10 speed connex link (EURO 7)and it is much
more cheaper than the one time Campagnolo solution which costs EURO 15
and the special and very expensive chaintool.

> I too only use connex and
> am surprised to finally see a 10-speed SRAM chain. It never would have
> occured to me it's a one-time use link, as that would defeat the entire
> purpose of the product.

The problem is that closing a 10 speed chain in a secure way is finicky.
Both SRAM and Campagnolo have figured out a solution that is more or
less user independable. I think the SRAM way is much more elegant than
the Campagnolo way.

> I suppose someone could call SRAM for
> clarification (the website seems to imply it's reusable),

No it doesn't. See above.

> but I've got
> about a 2 year supply of Connex chains, so can wait for the answer.
> There's still no stainless SRAM for salty rides.

Keep using them. There is nothing special to a SRAM chain.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu