Bike seat recommendations

On Oct 22, 1:39 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> It will be going on my 'cross bike for on-road stuff or very smooth dirt
> roads with my gf's 2 year old riding in it.
>
> Any recommendations? Anything to look out for?
>
> Greg
>
> --http://lodesertprotosites.org
> Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:http://ticketmastersucks.org
> Dethink to survive - Mclusky

We have a weeride fitted to the front of our tandem and our daughter
has ridden in it since she was 1.

http://www.weeride.com/centreseat.htm

She's 3 now and getting pretty close to being too big and if I get
another seat it'll be one for the rear of the bike, maybe one of
these.

http://www.bobike.nl/products/en/bobike_maxi+.htm?fluxmenu=m2____m11

"Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Oct 22, 1:39 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>> It will be going on my 'cross bike for on-road stuff or very smooth dirt
>> roads with my gf's 2 year old riding in it.
>>
>> Any recommendations? Anything to look out for?
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> --http://lodesertprotosites.org
>> Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows
>> that:http://ticketmastersucks.org
>> Dethink to survive - Mclusky

> We have a weeride fitted to the front of our tandem and our daughter
> has ridden in it since she was 1.
>
> http://www.weeride.com/centreseat.htm

Interesting, I think I saw one of those during my ride on Saturday.

> She's 3 now and getting pretty close to being too big and if I get
> another seat it'll be one for the rear of the bike, maybe one of
> these.
>
> http://www.bobike.nl/products/en/bobike_maxi+.htm?fluxmenu=m2____m11

Yeah, that looks like something I'll get.

Thanks,
Greg
--

On Oct 22, 3:40 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Marz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Oct 22, 1:39 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> It will be going on my 'cross bike for on-road stuff or very smooth dirt
> >> roads with my gf's 2 year old riding in it.

> >> Any recommendations? Anything to look out for?

> >> Greg

> >> --http://lodesertprotosites.org
> >> Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows
> >> that:http://ticketmastersucks.org
> >> Dethink to survive - Mclusky

> > We have a weeride fitted to the front of our tandem and our daughter
> > has ridden in it since she was 1.

> >http://www.weeride.com/centreseat.htm

> Interesting, I think I saw one of those during my ride on Saturday.
>

> > She's 3 now and getting pretty close to being too big and if I get
> > another seat it'll be one for the rear of the bike, maybe one of
> > these.

> >http://www.bobike.nl/products/en/bobike_maxi+.htm?fluxmenu=m2____m11

> Yeah, that looks like something I'll get.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg
> --http://lodesertprotosites.org
> Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:http://ticketmastersucks.org
> Dethink to survive - Mclusky- Hide quoted text -

Pretty stylish. And those spring protectors for Brooks saddles and etc
are a smart thing I wouldn't have thought of. But is that harness
enough to keep the kid from worming his/her way out? I'd think a
proper waist belt would really secure the kid in....

Overbearing-parent-to-be? You betcha!

/s

G.T. wrote:
> It will be going on my 'cross bike for on-road stuff or very smooth dirt
> roads with my gf's 2 year old riding in it.
>
> Any recommendations? Anything to look out for?
>
> Greg

We opted for the trailer instead of a seat. We had a seat for a short
period, but it threw the balance and handling of the bike off so much I
just didn't feel comfortable using it. That forward mounted one looks
better, but it will still raise the COG quite a bit.
We got a Trek Doodlebug trailer and it was OK, but had some fit and
design issues with the cover. But it generally worked, and enclosed my
son in a roll cage and 5 point harness, just in case. From what I hear
the newer models have worked the bugs out, and there are several other
brands to choose from too. When the kid gets too big it makes a great
grocery/utility hauler that can be attached or detached quickly. I even
put my geriatric dog in it a few times.

Now that he is bigger he rides a tag-a-long bike that clamps to the seat
tube. That thing is great! I even take him on mild off road adventures
and he's really into it. It also lets him contribute to pedaling, which
he likes to do. The one we got is also a Trek product and I have no
complaints. It even folds up to fit in the car easily if we want to take
it on a trip.

Good luck!

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> G.T. wrote:
>> It will be going on my 'cross bike for on-road stuff or very smooth dirt
>> roads with my gf's 2 year old riding in it.
>>
>> Any recommendations? Anything to look out for?
>>
>> Greg
>>

> We opted for the trailer instead of a seat. We had a seat for a short
> period, but it threw the balance and handling of the bike off so much I
> just didn't feel comfortable using it. That forward mounted one looks
> better, but it will still raise the COG quite a bit.

Yeah, I was wondering about that.

> We got a Trek Doodlebug trailer and it was OK, but had some fit and design
> issues with the cover. But it generally worked, and enclosed my son in a
> roll cage and 5 point harness, just in case. From what I hear the newer
> models have worked the bugs out, and there are several other brands to
> choose from too. When the kid gets too big it makes a great
> grocery/utility hauler that can be attached or detached quickly. I even
> put my geriatric dog in it a few times.

Damn, a trailer is definitely a good idea. I just kind of like the idea of
a seat so that FJM can get a similar view to me. But a trailer will be
useful forever.

> Now that he is bigger he rides a tag-a-long bike that clamps to the seat
> tube. That thing is great! I even take him on mild off road adventures and
> he's really into it.

Yep, I see those quite often. Actually my first ride with Jerry was with
him and Rebecca on the Trail-a-bike.

Greg
--

G.T. wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> G.T. wrote:
>>> It will be going on my 'cross bike for on-road stuff or very smooth dirt
>>> roads with my gf's 2 year old riding in it.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations? Anything to look out for?
>>>
>>> Greg
>>>

>> We opted for the trailer instead of a seat. We had a seat for a short
>> period, but it threw the balance and handling of the bike off so much I
>> just didn't feel comfortable using it. That forward mounted one looks
>> better, but it will still raise the COG quite a bit.

> Yeah, I was wondering about that.
>
>> We got a Trek Doodlebug trailer and it was OK, but had some fit and design
>> issues with the cover. But it generally worked, and enclosed my son in a
>> roll cage and 5 point harness, just in case. From what I hear the newer
>> models have worked the bugs out, and there are several other brands to
>> choose from too. When the kid gets too big it makes a great
>> grocery/utility hauler that can be attached or detached quickly. I even
>> put my geriatric dog in it a few times.

> Damn, a trailer is definitely a good idea. I just kind of like the idea of
> a seat so that FJM can get a similar view to me. But a trailer will be
> useful forever.
>
>> Now that he is bigger he rides a tag-a-long bike that clamps to the seat
>> tube. That thing is great! I even take him on mild off road adventures and
>> he's really into it.

> Yep, I see those quite often. Actually my first ride with Jerry was with
> him and Rebecca on the Trail-a-bike.
>
> Greg

That conjured up a funny mental picture.
Picturing you on the trail-a-bike behind Jerry makes me laugh. That's all.

Matt (yeah, I know that isn't what you were sayin', but still...)