Bolts

Graham FM

Guest
Folks,
i've a 10 year old XT rear mech that i needs new Jockey wheel bolts
for.Anyone know what size they are?.Regards

On Apr 28, 8:31 am, "Graham FM" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Folks,
> i've a 10 year old XT rear mech that i needs new Jockey wheel bolts
> for.Anyone know what size they are?.Regards

Your LBS should have an old parts bin with stuff like that.

JD

I haven't been able to get them at local or even distant bike shops.Thanks
for your reply.

On Apr 28, 11:31 am, "Graham FM" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Folks,
> i've a 10 year old XT rear mech that i needs new Jockey wheel bolts
> for.Anyone know what size they are?.Regards

XT in that year used Haversham 250T's, 36 pitch with a dynaflux head.
You could substitute a Rectocon 48B, 20 over 10 with a 3/32 backlash.
$3.98 for a pack of 10 at Bike City.

www.bikecity.rectocon/html

Would you describe those bolts as M5's?
"The real Duty-Honor-Country" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

On Apr 29, 1:44 pm, "Graham FM" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I haven't been able to get them at local or even distant bike shops.Thanks
> for your reply.

The problem with trying to use a regular hardware type bolt would be
where the threads stop, keeping one from over-tightening and the wheel
turning free.

JD

The real Duty-Honor-Country wrote:
> On Apr 28, 11:31 am, "Graham FM" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Folks,
>> i've a 10 year old XT rear mech that i needs new Jockey
>> wheel bolts for.Anyone know what size they are?.Regards

> XT in that year used Haversham 250T's, 36 pitch with a dynaflux head.
> You could substitute a Rectocon 48B, 20 over 10 with a 3/32 backlash.
> $3.98 for a pack of 10 at Bike City.

I'll take two!

On Apr 29, 7:37 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> The real Duty-Honor-Country wrote:
> > On Apr 28, 11:31 am, "Graham FM" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Folks,
> >> i've a 10 year old XT rear mech that i needs new Jockey
> >> wheel bolts for.Anyone know what size they are?.Regards

> > XT in that year used Haversham 250T's, 36 pitch with a dynaflux head.
> > You could substitute a Rectocon 48B, 20 over 10 with a 3/32 backlash.
> > $3.98 for a pack of 10 at Bike City.

> I'll take two!

For some reason, Duty-Honor-Country's reply doesn't show up in Google
Groups. Must be because, you know, it's on-topic, useful, uncritical,
and (I'm assuming) correct information. I don't know if a 15,000 word
LSD-driven Neo-Nazi diatribe was snipped from the bolt info, but even
if it was, bravo!

/s

Scott Gordo wrote:
> On Apr 29, 7:37 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The real Duty-Honor-Country wrote:
>>> XT in that year used Haversham 250T's, 36 pitch with a dynaflux head.
>>> You could substitute a Rectocon 48B, 20 over 10 with a 3/32 backlash.
>>> $3.98 for a pack of 10 at Bike City.

>> I'll take two!

> For some reason, Duty-Honor-Country's reply doesn't show up in Google
> Groups. Must be because, you know, it's on-topic, useful, uncritical,
> and (I'm assuming) correct information. I don't know if a 15,000 word
> LSD-driven Neo-Nazi diatribe was snipped from the bolt info, but even
> if it was, bravo!
>
> /s

The only thing I understood was "$3.98 for a pack of 10 at Bike City".

:)

Rectocon sounds like it could hurt.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Apr 30, 9:06 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 29, 7:37 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The real Duty-Honor-Country wrote:

> > > XT in that year used Haversham 250T's, 36 pitch with a dynaflux head.
> > > You could substitute a Rectocon 48B, 20 over 10 with a 3/32 backlash.
> > > $3.98 for a pack of 10 at Bike City.

> > I'll take two!

> For some reason, Duty-Honor-Country's reply doesn't show up in Google
> Groups. Must be because, you know, it's on-topic, useful, uncritical,
> and (I'm assuming) correct information.

Fish on!

It's all made up ****.

The bolt is a form of M5 (5mm by .8 thread). JD had it right ... it is
a specific type of M5. The bolt is 16mm long with only 4mm of thread.
The other 12mm is a smooth section where the bushing rides. Assuming
that the RD is 10 years old, then it is an 8sp M-739 ... the bolt head
is stepped to fit into the outer cage and uses a 3mm allen to
tighten.

For the OP, your best bet is to salvage. I doubt that Shimano has
those parts available.

You might try Part # Y-53M 24000 or Y-56954900. The first is a pulley
bolt from an M-760 XT (2004)... but it was the same part for the M-750
(1999). The second is from a 2004 tourney, but the head looks similar
to the M-739.

Look at the backside of the parallelogram, the model number will be
stamped there.

<snip>

Scott Gordo wrote:
> On Apr 29, 7:37 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The real Duty-Honor-Country wrote:

>>> XT in that year used Haversham 250T's, 36 pitch with a dynaflux
>>> head. You could substitute a Rectocon 48B, 20 over 10 with a 3/32
>>> backlash. $3.98 for a pack of 10 at Bike City.

>> I'll take two!

> For some reason, Duty-Honor-Country's reply doesn't show up in Google
> Groups. Must be because, you know, it's on-topic, useful, uncritical,
> and (I'm assuming) correct information. I don't know if a 15,000 word
> LSD-driven Neo-Nazi diatribe was snipped from the bolt info, but even
> if it was, bravo!

I think he forgot to mention the need for a left-handed screw driver to
install 'em.

:-D

On Apr 30, 9:57 am, [email protected] wrote:
> JD had it right ...

I've torn apart enough RDs to know a little about them. Sometimes
they just 'splode.

BTW, is the OP in the CONUS? I'm sure I have a few in my bolts bin.

JD

On Apr 30, 12:57 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Apr 30, 9:06 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'll take two!

> > For some reason, Duty-Honor-Country's reply doesn't show up in Google
> > Groups. Must be because, you know, it's on-topic, useful, uncritical,
> > and (I'm assuming) correct information.

> Fish on!
>
> It's all made up ****.
>
> The bolt is a form of M5 (5mm by .8 thread). JD had it right ... it is
> a specific type of M5. The bolt is 16mm long with only 4mm of thread.
> The other 12mm is a smooth section where the bushing rides. Assuming
> that the RD is 10 years old, then it is an 8sp M-739 ... the bolt head
> is stepped to fit into the outer cage and uses a 3mm allen to
> tighten.
>
> For the OP, your best bet is to salvage. I doubt that Shimano has
> those parts available.
>
> You might try Part # Y-53M 24000 or Y-56954900. The first is a pulley
> bolt from an M-760 XT (2004)... but it was the same part for the M-750
> (1999). The second is from a 2004 tourney, but the head looks similar
> to the M-739.
>
> Look at the backside of the parallelogram, the model number will be
> stamped there.
>
> <snip>
>
> R- Hide quoted text -

Shoulda known!

/s

ps: Pom-pom grips removed from DHC's bike, put on R's.