Brake lever extensions?

SteveA

New Member
Jul 15, 2004
1,309
I saw something on a bike today that I had never seen before. On a flat MTB handlebar with bar ends. The brake levers had extensions bolted onto their ends that roughly paralleled the bar ends. Obviously designed to allow braking when on the bar ends. Didn't look home made either.

Anyone ever seen/used these things. I'm not even thinking about them for myself, just curious.

SteveA

SteveA wrote:
> I saw something on a bike today that I had never seen before. On a flat
> MTB handlebar with bar ends. The brake levers had extensions bolted
> onto their ends that roughly paralleled the bar ends. Obviously
> designed to allow braking when on the bar ends. Didn't look home made
> either.
>
> Anyone ever seen/used these things. I'm not even thinking about them
> for myself, just curious.

Like these??:
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/_borders/SpecM2Bar.JPG
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1991_Spec_M2.htm

hippy

> SteveA wrote:
> > The brake levers had extensions bolted
> > onto their ends that roughly paralleled the bar ends. Obviously
> > designed to allow braking when on the bar ends.

> Like these??:
> http://www.firstflightbikes.com/_borders/SpecM2Bar.JPG
> http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1991_Spec_M2.htm

Looks like it would work with barends - as long as you have hands like a
gorilla! Jeez my fingers won't reach, I'd just move the hands to the bar.

Cheers
Peter

Peter Signorini said:
> SteveA wrote:
> > The brake levers had extensions bolted
> > onto their ends that roughly paralleled the bar ends. Obviously
> > designed to allow braking when on the bar ends.

> Like these??:
> http://www.firstflightbikes.com/_borders/SpecM2Bar.JPG
> http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1991_Spec_M2.htm

Looks like it would work with barends - as long as you have hands like a
gorilla! Jeez my fingers won't reach, I'd just move the hands to the bar.

Cheers
Peter
Yep, they look like the items I saw but they were set up much closer to the bar ends, thereby not requiring 'gorilla hands'. May have been that the brake levers they were on were straighter thanthe XTR ones in Hippy's photos.

SteveA