Braking the Fixie

Paul J. Berg

Guest
~

News article from Willamette Week (Portland, Oregon) - July 11, 2007

After the 2007 Oregon Legislature failed to fix the "fixies" law, the
tickets continue to fly in Portland.

Like in a Richard Scarry book, downtown Portland on a weekday afternoon
bustles with many forms of transportation. Buses pass pedestrians who
just got off the MAX, and taxis roll through stop signs while cars line
up on Burnside.

Unlike a children's book utopia, however, not everyone's happy with all
the ways to get around. Zipping through traffic, fixed-gear bikes, or
"fixies," continue to be ticketed by Portland police for what the cops
consider equipment violations.

The ongoing ticketing highlights the Legislature's recent failure to
clear up legal ambiguities around the bikes, which are brought to a stop
by the application of back pressure on the pedals instead of more common
hand or coaster brakes. The legs of the cyclist, coupled with the bike's
gearing, act as a brake.

Local bike advocacy lawyer Mark Ginsberg worked with Oregon legislators
in the just-concluded session to fix matters with Senate Bill 729. That
bill included a provision that said fixed-gear bicycles are "not
required to be equipped with a separate brake."

"We just spent a lot of time in the Legislature, and we thought we had
it clarified," says Ginsberg.

But the fixies clause in the larger bill dealing with bikes died in the
Judiciary Conference Committee after Sen. Ginny Burdick (D-Southwest
Portland) stripped it out. A local bike blog, bikeportland.org, reports
that Burdick's daughter lobbied her not to green-light the surge of
inexperienced fixie riders.

"After it initially went through, I had a lot of reservations," Burdick
said in an interview with Jonathan Maus, editor of Bikeportland. "My own
daughter (who works at River City Bicycles in Portland) rides fixies on
the velodrome. She jumped on me pretty hard and said there were a lot of
people on fixies who really don't know what they're doing, so changing
the standard across the board would not be a good idea."

River City Bicycles sells one type of fixed-gear bicycle without brakes.
All its other models come with brakes. Most bike shops in Portland that
offer fixies, including Bike Gallery and Bike N' Hike, sell them with
brakes.

Sleek and simple, fixies have become popular with everyone from couriers
to a hipper sect of the bike commuter set. At the same time, some of
these cyclists claim police, exploiting a vaguely written fixies
provision left untouched by the Legislature, are targeting them.

"They're real selective about who they give tickets to," says Matthew
Henry, 23, a bike messenger who has been ticketed five times for riding
a "brakeless" bike. Citations cost $97 apiece.

"They're focusing on the messengers," says Tab Bamford, an independent
bike courier. "And they're the ones who actually know how to ride these
bikes."

Portland police estimate that they give anywhere between four and 10
citations a week for "bicycle equipment violations," the infraction
given to fixed-gear bicycles not equipped with a standard brake. But
police insist they do not target specific people.

"Most of these guys are messengers running from building to building
downtown, and that's where I am," says Officer Bret Barnum, a motorcycle
cop. "We're not out to target people."

Bamford, 30, has been a messenger for over six years and has twice won
the North American Cycle Courier Championships, first in 2002 in Houston
and then in 2003 in Washington, D.C. While he feels that messengers are
being unfairly penalized, he realizes the bikes can be dangerous under
the heels of the inexperienced. Without the proper strength, the bikes
are hard to stop. Portland police say legs aren't brakes.

"In the interest of public safety, you do need a separate mechanism,"
says Barnum. He and Officer Bill Balzer, another Portland motorcycle
cop, hand out over 90 percent of the citations in question. He says the
way the law is written "leaves it open for interpretation" and that he
reads the law as requiring "an independent mechanism that allows the
bike to stop."

Not everyone, however, reads it that way. Currently, Oregon Revised
Statutes 815.280(2)(a) says a bike "must be equipped with a brake that
enables the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean
pavement." On Jan. 1, SB 729 clarified the law a bit. Instead of
skidding, cyclists must show they can stop within 15 feet going 10 mph.

"What does 'equipped' mean? What does 'brake' mean?" Ginsberg says.
"Nowhere does it say you need a mechanical caliper brake."

State Sen. Jason Atkinson (R-Central Point), who worked closely with
Ginsberg on SB 729 last session, raced bikes professionally for eight
years before he "went through a windshield and went into politics."

"A large number of people don't understand how many fixies there are and
how safe they are," says Atkinson, the original sponsor of the bill.

But Barnum disagrees, saying that it's "about safety for everybody."

"The silent majority have said, 'Hey, guys, put your brake on and you're
good to go,'" he says. "The vocal minority are the same 20, 25 people
who refuse to do this."

~

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:16:22 -0700, [email protected] (Paul J. Berg)
wrote:

<snip>

>"After it initially went through, I had a lot of reservations," Burdick
>said in an interview with Jonathan Maus, editor of Bikeportland. "My own
>daughter (who works at River City Bicycles in Portland) rides fixies on
>the velodrome. She jumped on me pretty hard and said there were a lot of
>people on fixies who really don't know what they're doing, so changing
>the standard across the board would not be a good idea."

>River City Bicycles sells one type of fixed-gear bicycle without brakes.

<snip>

The solution is clear! Arrest the people selling those fixies without
brakes for causing this problem. I'm sure that right after her
daughter gets arrested, Sen Burdick will have a change of heart.

On Jul 21, 7:16 am, [email protected] (Paul J. Berg) wrote:
.....Matthew
> Henry, 23, a bike messenger who has been ticketed five times for riding
> a "brakeless" bike. Citations cost $97 apiece....

Sounds like a real brainy guy.

On Jul 21, 10:54 am, Camilo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 7:16 am, [email protected] (Paul J. Berg) wrote:
> ....Matthew
>
> > Henry, 23, a bike messenger who has been ticketed five times for riding
> > a "brakeless" bike. Citations cost $97 apiece....

> Sounds like a real brainy guy.

Yeah.....he works to fund his mis-guided sense of civil disobedience.

"still me" wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:16:22 -0700, [email protected] (Paul J. Berg)
> wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
>> "After it initially went through, I had a lot of reservations," Burdick
>> said in an interview with Jonathan Maus, editor of Bikeportland. "My own
>> daughter (who works at River City Bicycles in Portland) rides fixies on
>> the velodrome. She jumped on me pretty hard and said there were a lot of
>> people on fixies who really don't know what they're doing, so changing
>> the standard across the board would not be a good idea."

>> River City Bicycles sells one type of fixed-gear bicycle without brakes.

> <snip>
>
> The solution is clear! Arrest the people selling those fixies without
> brakes for causing this problem. I'm sure that right after her
> daughter gets arrested, Sen Burdick will have a change of heart.

Slap a big old warning sticker "FOR VELODROME USE ONLY" on the fixie
bicycles without front brakes.

Paul J. Berg writes:

> News article from Willamette Week (Portland, Oregon) - July 11, 2007

> After the 2007 Oregon Legislature failed to fix the "fixies" law,
> the tickets continue to fly in Portland.

> Like in a Richard Scarry book, downtown Portland on a weekday
> afternoon bustles with many forms of transportation. Buses pass
> pedestrians who just got off the MAX, and taxis roll through stop
> signs while cars line up on Burnside.

> Unlike a children's book utopia, however, not everyone's happy with
> all the ways to get around. Zipping through traffic, fixed-gear
> bikes, or "fixies," continue to be ticketed by Portland police for
> what the cops consider equipment violations.

> The ongoing ticketing highlights the Legislature's recent failure to
> clear up legal ambiguities around the bikes, which are brought to a
> stop by the application of back pressure on the pedals instead of
> more common hand or coaster brakes. The legs of the cyclist, coupled
> with the bike's gearing, act as a brake.

You may think you are in safe control of a fixed gear bicycle without
brakes, but you are not. I think you might better understand that If
you rode a conventionally equipped road bicycle with front and rear
brake and were to dash through city traffic. The only feature would
be that the front brake was disabled so you had only a rear brake.
The ability to stop a bicycle with a rear brake for aggressive riding
is ludicrous.

Next time you ride down a mountain road, try doing that using only the
rear brake. I've had to do that and it is slow and tedious. Back
pedaling is about half as effective as a rear brake (that can skid the
rear wheel at any time), because pedal torque approaches zero as the
cranks are in their near vertical quadrant, half of the pedal stroke.

Jobst Brandt

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jul 21, 10:54 am, Camilo <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Jul 21, 7:16 am, [email protected] (Paul J. Berg) wrote:
>> ....Matthew
>>
>> > Henry, 23, a bike messenger who has been ticketed five times for riding
>> > a "brakeless" bike. Citations cost $97 apiece....

In my 'hood, the single speed/fixtie thing is an epidemic. A number of
small shops have sprung up to build up or service these bikes. Any old junk
frame that has horizontal dropouts is now worth gold. I could probably make
a living from buying yard-sale 10-speed bikes, stripping off all of the
components, and then re-flogging them as "fixed-gear" frames.

It pains me to see some of the more experienced bike shop guys having to
satisfy this market. Guys that have seen all kinds of bike fads come and
go, and yet against all reason have to cave in and give customers what they
think they want. In the 70's these guys were shoveling cheap 10-speeds out
the door to folks whose backs and necks could not handle a road bike. In
2000 everyone was supposed to be tootling around the pavement in their
cul-de-sac on a 45 pound full-suspension bike. Now on fixed-gears, folks
are blowing lungs and knees climbing hills, and having their bike run away
from them on the downhills.

I have pals whose wives work in regional hospital emergency wards. Last
year, the popular walk-in injuries among the young and stupid was infected
(pierced) tongues for girls and arm/wrist injuries for guys (snowboarding
and North-Shore bike MTB riding). Now I learn that fixed-gear riders are
right up there. This includes experienced couriers who run into fixed
objects in the downtown core.

The downside for me is that I had bought a heavily discounted track frame a
while back with the intention of building up into a single-speed bike - yes,
with two good hand brakes and a freehub. Now I have to sit on this project
perhaps for several years until this fad withers.

In rec.bicycles.misc landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 10:16 am, [email protected] (Paul J. Berg) wrote:
>>
>> News article from Willamette Week (Portland, Oregon) - July 11, 2007
>>
>> After the 2007 Oregon Legislature failed to fix the "fixies" law, the
>> tickets continue to fly in Portland.
>>
>> Like in a Richard Scarry book, downtown Portland on a weekday afternoon
>> bustles with many forms of transportation. Buses pass pedestrians who
>> just got off the MAX, and taxis roll through stop signs while cars line
>> up on Burnside.
>>
>> Unlike a children's book utopia, however, not everyone's happy with all
>> the ways to get around. Zipping through traffic, fixed-gear bikes, or
>> "fixies," continue to be ticketed by Portland police for what the cops
>> consider equipment violations.

> Good. If you're so hip to not be able to install a $10 front caliper
> at the co-op--you get what's coming to ya. I hope they strengthen the
> law. IMHO all adult bikes should be required to have two brakes--in
> that case, a fixed gear may count as one.

Personally I feel so strongly about the injustice of the issue, I'm
thinking about stopping by Reload and picking up this shirt:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taisau/534718117/

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"On the Internet, no one knows you're using Windows NT"

On Jul 21, 12:05 pm, Dane Buson <[email protected]> wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 21, 10:16 am, [email protected] (Paul J. Berg) wrote:

> >> News article from Willamette Week (Portland, Oregon) - July 11, 2007

> >> After the 2007 Oregon Legislature failed to fix the "fixies" law, the
> >> tickets continue to fly in Portland.

> >> Like in a Richard Scarry book, downtown Portland on a weekday afternoon
> >> bustles with many forms of transportation. Buses pass pedestrians who
> >> just got off the MAX, and taxis roll through stop signs while cars line
> >> up on Burnside.

> >> Unlike a children's book utopia, however, not everyone's happy with all
> >> the ways to get around. Zipping through traffic, fixed-gear bikes, or
> >> "fixies," continue to be ticketed by Portland police for what the cops
> >> consider equipment violations.

> > Good. If you're so hip to not be able to install a $10 front caliper
> > at the co-op--you get what's coming to ya. I hope they strengthen the
> > law. IMHO all adult bikes should be required to have two brakes--in
> > that case, a fixed gear may count as one.

> Personally I feel so strongly about the injustice of the issue, I'm
> thinking about stopping by Reload and picking up this shirt:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/taisau/534718117/

OMG, that's beyond funny! I may have to print out an iron on. :D

On Jul 21, 8:16 am, [email protected] (Paul J. Berg) wrote:

> "A large number of people don't understand how many fixies there are and
> how safe they are," says Atkinson, the original sponsor of the bill.

Those of us who learned to ride in the 50s know that pedal brakes are
far better than those flimsy caliper things controlled on the
handlebar. Pedal brakes can flat-out shut down the real wheel, so
much so that you can easily skid and leave rubber on the road if
that's something you want to do. Try that with calipers. As if.
Calipers don't have anything like that kind of stopping power.

Plus the front wheel caliper brake is dangerous. Imedes steering
control AND can throw you head over heels.

On Jul 21, 1:22 pm, "BobT" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "Paul J. Berg" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
>
> > Sleek and simple, fixies have become popular with everyone from couriers
> > to a hipper sect of the bike commuter set.

> Hipper than who?
>
> These people discussed in this article in the newspaper of record must think
> they are hip:http://tinyurl.com/279hov
>
> My view is that it doesn't get any hipper than my commuting tank:http://tinyurl.com/2sbmr2

Considering the thoughtfulness and luxe quality of most of that bike,
you've seriously underbelled yourself. Even a single clapper stem
mounted Japanese model would be a step up. It's like you've left the
plastic studs in the tuxedo shirt.

On Jul 21, 1:46 pm, Spread Eagle® <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 8:16 am, [email protected] (Paul J. Berg) wrote:
>
> > "A large number of people don't understand how many fixies there are and
> > how safe they are," says Atkinson, the original sponsor of the bill.

> Those of us who learned to ride in the 50s know that pedal brakes are
> far better than those flimsy caliper things controlled on the
> handlebar. Pedal brakes can flat-out shut down the real wheel, so
> much so that you can easily skid and leave rubber on the road if
> that's something you want to do. Try that with calipers. As if.
> Calipers don't have anything like that kind of stopping power.
>
> Plus the front wheel caliper brake is dangerous. Imedes steering
> control AND can throw you head over heels.

Ranting Grandpap:

2 jiggers prune juice
1 jigger vodka
splash of Maalox
generous shake of bitters (Angustora, or just point shaker at
retirement home)

Combine at room temperature, shake, and serve in an Ralph Kramden
sippy cup.

On Jul 21, 1:59 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was on my drop bar utility bicycle in street clothes
> with groceries in the panniers. I came up on a red
> light at 20 kph and put on the brakes. I hear a shouted
> `Oh!' behind me. It is a full kit kiddie who had
> silently got up behind and did not expect me to stop. I
> said `What do you mean "Oh!" He would not answer, I
> kept asking. He never owned up, the jerk, but tried to
> abuse me for my pains, the asshole.

Just ask them if they think it's OK to tailgate in a car as well. Or
my favorite: pass on a blind recreation path corner--something that
you'd not think of doing in a car--but when you're on a bike and the
Hoff's greatest pop hits are blasting in your ear buds--it makes
perfect sense.

On Jul 21, 11:13 am, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> "still me" wrote:

[snip]

> > The solution is clear! Arrest the people selling those fixies without
> > brakes for causing this problem. I'm sure that right after her
> > daughter gets arrested, Sen Burdick will have a change of heart.

> Slap a big old warning sticker "FOR VELODROME USE ONLY" on the fixie
> bicycles without front brakes.

Or to paraphrase Tom Waits, hang the sign from a nail in the
customer's forehead.

In article <YYqoi.135509$1i1.83958@pd7urf3no>,
"Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The downside for me is that I had bought a heavily discounted track frame a
> while back with the intention of building up into a single-speed bike - yes,
> with two good hand brakes and a freehub. Now I have to sit on this project
> perhaps for several years until this fad withers.

I do not see why. Put the brakes on. Who will notice?
A: the no brake crowd. Consider it a community service.
The NBC won't be able to handle somebody more different
than they are. If you are to be a slave to fashion,
make it your fashion.

--
Michael Press

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 17:00:40 GMT, Dave Mayer wrote:

> The downside for me is that I had bought a heavily discounted track frame a
> while back with the intention of building up into a single-speed bike - yes,
> with two good hand brakes and a freehub. Now I have to sit on this project
> perhaps for several years until this fad withers.

Why?

You will not get a ticket.

On Jul 21, 2:25 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <YYqoi.135509$1i1.83958@pd7urf3no>,
> "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The downside for me is that I had bought a heavily discounted track frame a
> > while back with the intention of building up into a single-speed bike - yes,
> > with two good hand brakes and a freehub. Now I have to sit on this project
> > perhaps for several years until this fad withers.

> I do not see why. Put the brakes on. Who will notice?
> A: the no brake crowd. Consider it a community service.
> The NBC won't be able to handle somebody more different
> than they are. If you are to be a slave to fashion,
> make it your fashion.

Anyone else thinking "spoon brake"?

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Michael Press wrote:
>> I was on my drop bar utility bicycle in street clothes
>> with groceries in the panniers. I came up on a red
>> light at 20 kph and put on the brakes. I hear a shouted
>> `Oh!' behind me. It is a full kit kiddie who had
>> silently got up behind and did not expect me to stop. I
>> said `What do you mean "Oh!" He would not answer, I
>> kept asking. He never owned up, the jerk, but tried to
>> abuse me for my pains, the asshole.

> No issues there! LOL

Er, Bill, that is NOT what Peter meant. Family newsgroup, you know. ;)