Braking the Fixie

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jul 23, 11:06 am, Balanced View <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> In "Brakeless", are they referring to "No Cable brakes" or " Only
>> coaster brakes" If they are referring to
>> coaster brakes I can't see what's the issue, they work, are
>> indestructible and more maintenance free than
>> any cable setup.
>>

> Fixed gear braking is not nearly the same as coaster brake braking.
>
> Robert

What??????

~~ I don't see the slippery slope when it comes to brakes on bikes. I
wont argue with you about what the
neocons are up to. That speaks for itself. -- Jay Beattie.

If you don't see the slippery slope, you definitely need brakes.

On Jul 23, 6:44 pm, Balanced View <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Fixed gear braking is not nearly the same as coaster brake braking.

> > Robert

> What??????

Stopping a bike with a coaster brake and stopping a bike with a fixed
gear are two very different actions. Might be kind of hard to grasp if
you have no experience with fixed wheel bikes.

R.

On Jul 23, 7:26 pm, Steven <[email protected]> wrote:
> ~~ I don't see the slippery slope when it comes to brakes on bikes. I
> wont argue with you about what the
> neocons are up to. That speaks for itself. -- Jay Beattie.
>
> If you don't see the slippery slope, you definitely need brakes.

Hey, since I'm chattering my life away here, let me say that I rode
home this evening through the West Hills and got an unexpected light
rain that turned the roads into sled runs. I hit a steep slope and
basically slid down it. I had some grip with my front wheel, but my
rear wheel was fishtailing. This was riding in a straight line down a
road that is basically a chute. If I were on a fixie with no front
brake, I would have been dead meat.

Great brakes on that bike (dual pivots and new salmon pads), just zero
traction on a 20+ percent downgrade. I was on 23mm Pro2Races (that I
got for $28 a pop from ProBikekit). I am not totally excited about
the wet traction on those tires. -- Jay Beattie.

Peter Cole wrote:
> Why wouldn't you count that?

Because unlike stop lights, stop signs, etc, speed limits are commonly
viewed as inappropriate, unreasonable and apparently capriciously
designated. When a specific limited zone is posted at a reasonable
speed, that's largely ignored like all the others.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Jul 23, 9:53 pm, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 7:26 pm, Steven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > ~~ I don't see the slippery slope when it comes to brakes on bikes. I
> > wont argue with you about what the
> > neocons are up to. That speaks for itself. -- Jay Beattie.

> > If you don't see the slippery slope, you definitely need brakes.

> Hey, since I'm chattering my life away here, let me say that I rode
> home this evening through the West Hills and got an unexpected light
> rain that turned the roads into sled runs. I hit a steep slope and
> basically slid down it. I had some grip with my front wheel, but my
> rear wheel was fishtailing. This was riding in a straight line down a
> road that is basically a chute. If I were on a fixie with no front
> brake, I would have been dead meat.
>
> Great brakes on that bike (dual pivots and new salmon pads), just zero
> traction on a 20+ percent downgrade. I was on 23mm Pro2Races (that I
> got for $28 a pop from ProBikekit). I am not totally excited about
> the wet traction on those tires. -- Jay Beattie.

My Shimano will give me a good skid, IF I really want it. I have a
friend who is pretty good with older bikes, that's how he set it.

On Jul 23, 10:13 pm, Bill Shatzer <[email protected]> wrote:

[1] Though you notice that the religious sacrifice of virgins to the
volcano god and such is rather strictly prohibited.

If we had that many decent volcanoes this could be changed.

On Jul 23, 11:07 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

Peter Cole wrote:
Why wouldn't you count that?

Because unlike stop lights, stop signs, etc, speed limits are commonly
viewed as inappropriate, unreasonable and apparently capriciously
designated. When a specific limited zone is posted at a reasonable
speed, that's largely ignored like all the others.

Go ahead, YOU die first. G'night, Gracie

Bill Shatzer <[email protected]> wrote:

> So long as there's a risk that your choices may adversely affect other
> folks and their lives, health, and propery, those other folks have got a
> perfect right to tell you how to equip your bike - if not how to live
> your life.

While playing the "Jackbooted Thuggery Rag".

Typical lefty and Bureaucratic Swine

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Tim McNamara wrote:

>>> That's a rather slippery slope.

>> Maybe, but I don't think red light running leads to armed robbery.

> Probably not, but you didn't restrict your statement to stopping at red
> lights. Lots of people think it's unreasonable that they can't help
> themselves to the contents of your house or use your credit card or
> empty out your bank account. They don't follow those laws and in
> general I don;t think that's a good thing.

But that's a small minority, if it were anything else civilization would
be hopeless.

When you have a law that the majority don't follow, I think there may be
something wrong with the law.

>> An interesting question: What do you think would happen if a day was
>> declared to be no-penalty for moving & ROW violations? Do you think
>> everyone would drive differently? Many people? Would you change the
>> way you drive? I wouldn't and I'd guess most people wouldn't. That
>> tells me people obey the laws for the most part because they agree
>> with them.

> I'd probably stay home that day. I see way to many numbskull maneuvers
> on a daily basis, including crossing four lanes in late rush hour
> traffic at the last possible moment to get to an exit while talking on a
> cell phone with three children in the car (I saw this about 10 minutes
> ago). I se such things at least daily. The average level of driving
> safety has plummeted in the past few years locally. It's actually scary
> to be on the road pretty often.

Highway fatalities/mile driven have been going down for decades.
Skeptics point out that thus is from safer, better and even larger cars,
while driving speeds and dangerous behavior have gone up, but not enough
to offset, so you're perhaps actually a bit safer with today's cars even
with today's drivers.

It may be that drivers have responded to better cars by pushing the
envelope.

Anyway, you ducked the question.

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:

>> Sorry to snip all that, but I think it amounts to a long winded
>> rationalization. You're the one who's adamant about the law being the
>> law, yet you'll give a pass for speeding.

> I'm not "giving a pass" or even admitting to doing it myself - as I
> posted before, I've become one law-abiding mofo since a particularly
> Draconian law went into effect here. The real question is, though, why
> are speed limits not set at the optimum level for safety for motorists?

So you don't agree with the law, and presume lots of others don't
either, so you get much less irate about speeding scofflaws than cyclist
ROW scofflaws?

>> I don't particularly get upset by highway speeding as much as
>> residential speeding, which is at least as common.

> I don't see that quite so much... certainly literally everyone speeds on
> the highway, while most people tend to keep it down to a reasonable
> velocity in residential neighborhoods, although a lot tend to push it to
> 30 in a 25 or so.

Yes, but that's equivalent to 78 in a 65 zone, something that would get
you a ticket almost every time.

>> In view of actual safety statistics and liability downsides I see it
>> as much more socially costly than bicycle ROW scofflaws.

> Only because of the large numbers of motorists compared to bicyclists.
> Again, I'm not advocating it or admitting to doing it, but I'd feel a
> lot more comfortable safety-wise doing 30 in a 25 in my car than I would
> sailing past a stop sign at full speed on a bicycle. Maybe statistics
> prove me wrong, I don't know, but blowing stops just seems to be
> ludicrously dangerous for little benefit. Yeah, I know, you have to
> work to get up to speed, but isn't exercise one of the benefits of
> riding a bike?

Well, bottom line is your "hatred" for cyclist scofflaws is very
different than your tolerance for speeders, not based on your respect
for the law but your own sense of priorities -- which are far from
universal.

A Muzi wrote:

>> Nate Nagel wrote:
>>> Discounting speed limits, I disagree heartily. 100% of the cyclists
>>> that I see are breaking some law or another (95% of them blow stop
>>> signs, and I don't mean a "california stop" either.) The number of
>>> drivers I see doing things like that is much, much smaller.
>>> If you count the speed limit, of course, then 100% of both groups are
>>> breaking at least one law.

> Peter Cole wrote:
>> Why wouldn't you count that?

> Because unlike stop lights, stop signs, etc, speed limits are commonly
> viewed as inappropriate, unreasonable and apparently capriciously
> designated. When a specific limited zone is posted at a reasonable
> speed, that's largely ignored like all the others.

Well then this is just another case of people not following a law that
they find unreasonable, something I claim happens all the time.

Given that so many (100% by Nate's estimate) of cyclists don't fully
comply with ROW laws, I'd say it means that most find them unreasonable.

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:49:45 -0500, Tim McNamara
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ask the NRA and they will tell you that your right to bear arms has been
>stomped all over....

And immediately thereafter ask you for money -- which is The basic
point of the exercise.

In article <[email protected]>,
Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Peter Cole <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Maybe, but I don't think red light running leads to armed robbery.

> > Probably not, but you didn't restrict your statement to stopping at
> > red lights. Lots of people think it's unreasonable that they can't
> > help themselves to the contents of your house or use your credit
> > card or empty out your bank account. They don't follow those laws
> > and in general I don;t think that's a good thing.

> But that's a small minority, if it were anything else civilization
> would be hopeless.

Given that the US has a higher percentage of its population in jail than
any other country, and yet persists in having some of if not the highest
crime rates, an argument could be made that our particular manifestation
of civilization is flawed.

> When you have a law that the majority don't follow, I think there may
> be something wrong with the law.

Perhaps. Or something wrong with society's attitude towards its own
laws.

> >> An interesting question: What do you think would happen if a day
> >> was declared to be no-penalty for moving & ROW violations? Do you
> >> think everyone would drive differently? Many people? Would you
> >> change the way you drive? I wouldn't and I'd guess most people
> >> wouldn't. That tells me people obey the laws for the most part
> >> because they agree with them.

> > I'd probably stay home that day. I see way to many numbskull
> > maneuvers on a daily basis, including crossing four lanes in late
> > rush hour traffic at the last possible moment to get to an exit
> > while talking on a cell phone with three children in the car (I saw
> > this about 10 minutes ago). I se such things at least daily. The
> > average level of driving safety has plummeted in the past few years
> > locally. It's actually scary to be on the road pretty often.

> Highway fatalities/mile driven have been going down for decades.
> Skeptics point out that thus is from safer, better and even larger
> cars, while driving speeds and dangerous behavior have gone up, but
> not enough to offset, so you're perhaps actually a bit safer with
> today's cars even with today's drivers.

And those safety measures have been fought every step of the way by the
Big Three automakers.

> It may be that drivers have responded to better cars by pushing the
> envelope.

There is evidence that this is the case vis-a-vis modern cars handling
better than older cars. I can't remember where I read the study, might
have been Car and Driver several years ago. People are likelier to
drive closer to the limits of cornering traction because there is
virtually no body roll to cue them that they are pushing the envelope.

> Anyway, you ducked the question.

If you say so. I thought it was clearly if indirectly answered. I'll
spell it out for you, since you insist. I think that if you suspended
traffic laws for a day, the highways would be filled with carnage.
That's why I'd stay home that day. I wouldn't drive, I wouldn't ride
my bike, I'd stay the hell off the roads. The standard skill set of the
average American driver is so pathetically low that they can barely
control their cars when they do feel inhibited by laws. Incompetence
behind the wheel is the norm. Being distracted while driving by the
cell phone, text messaging, eating, reading, etc. is considered
acceptable. Driving under the influence is endemic. Driver's education
is a cursory introduction to driving at best. Driver's licenses are
given out to people who are far too young and the standards for
obtaining one are laughably low. Incompetent driving costs thousands of
lives, millions of injuries and billions of dollars every year.

> On Jul 23, 6:44 pm, Balanced View <[email protected]> wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > Fixed gear braking is not nearly the same as coaster brake
> > > braking.

> > What??????

> Stopping a bike with a coaster brake and stopping a bike with a fixed
> gear are two very different actions.

No, it's actually the same action- push the pedals backwards. There are
two problems with braking fixed gear bikes this way compared to a
coaster brake.

One is that the pedals keep coming forward with quite a bit of force as
long as the bike is moving. You can't stop the pedals unless you break
the traction limit of the tire and skid it, but a skidding tire takes
much longer to stop.

The other is that your feet are likely to be in a position where you
*can't* apply back pressure when you need to in order to stop or avoid
something unpleasant- you don't have the leverage to overcome the
traction limit of the tire. A coaster brake likewise has some
limitation in leverage- you only get maximum leverage when the crank is
nearly level to the ground- but you don't have to overcome the momentum
of the pedals to push back.

That's why fixed gear riders have to justify their lack of control by
making themselves believe that they can see into the future and
anticipate what will happen- the "zen" of fixed gear.

> Might be kind of hard to grasp if you have no experience with fixed
> wheel bikes.

So I notice. Your grasp is certainly a bit tenuous.

Peter Cole wrote:
> Well then this is just another case of people not following a law that
> they find unreasonable, something I claim happens all the time.
> Given that so many (100% by Nate's estimate) of cyclists don't fully
> comply with ROW laws, I'd say it means that most find them unreasonable.

Yes, hence the conflict. I assume you're right. What to do about it?

I merely reported above, didn't advocate. My conflict with rescinding
unpopular laws _because_ of unpopularity alone is that the slippery
slope leads to to situations such as having to allow murder/mayhem as
'OK' among Iraqis since it's prevalent... Do we want to end there?

Tangential to this, did you see today's paper about the German traffic
signs? Apparently there is so much minutiae clearly posted in their
thorough Teutonic manner that it's difficult to comprehend them all
while driving and views are blocked by their profusion.

--

On Jul 24, 8:31 am, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>
> [email protected] wrote:

> > > What??????

> > Stopping a bike with a coaster brake and stopping a bike with a fixed
> > gear are two very different actions.

> No, it's actually the same action- push the pedals backwards.

Two very different -things- then. For the reasons you mention below.

> There are
> two problems with braking fixed gear bikes this way compared to a
> coaster brake.
>
> One is that the pedals keep coming forward with quite a bit of force as
> long as the bike is moving. You can't stop the pedals unless you break
> the traction limit of the tire and skid it, but a skidding tire takes
> much longer to stop.
>
> The other is that your feet are likely to be in a position where you
> *can't* apply back pressure when you need to in order to stop or avoid
> something unpleasant- you don't have the leverage to overcome the
> traction limit of the tire. A coaster brake likewise has some
> limitation in leverage- you only get maximum leverage when the crank is
> nearly level to the ground- but you don't have to overcome the momentum
> of the pedals to push back.
>
> That's why fixed gear riders have to justify their lack of control by
> making themselves believe that they can see into the future and
> anticipate what will happen- the "zen" of fixed gear.
>
> > Might be kind of hard to grasp if you have no experience with fixed
> > wheel bikes.

> So I notice. Your grasp is certainly a bit tenuous.

I have a good bit of experience with fixed wheel bikes. And coaster
brake bikes too.

Robert

A Muzi wrote:

> Peter Cole wrote:
>> Well then this is just another case of people not following a law that
>> they find unreasonable, something I claim happens all the time.
>> Given that so many (100% by Nate's estimate) of cyclists don't fully
>> comply with ROW laws, I'd say it means that most find them unreasonable.

> Yes, hence the conflict. I assume you're right. What to do about it?

Change the laws.

If speed limits are set to 85% compliance, why not have the same
philosophy with ROW? Either de jure or de facto, I don't care.

> I merely reported above, didn't advocate. My conflict with rescinding
> unpopular laws _because_ of unpopularity alone is that the slippery
> slope leads to to situations such as having to allow murder/mayhem as
> 'OK' among Iraqis since it's prevalent... Do we want to end there?

Oh no, you're not dragging me into Iraq.

Well, OK, a little bit -- I don't see how you can prevent people killing
each other if they're really determined to do it. Once you unleash the
dogs of war it's anyone's guess where they go.