trek240 said:
I went over the handle bars on my mountain bike about 3 weeks ago. I went to the ER right after it happened. They sent me home with NORCO and a sling. Followup with ortho was 4 days later. This was my x-ray in the ER.
The first ortho pushed his surgery right off the bat, and insisted that I think about it and give him a call. I immediately scheduled an appointment with another Dr. Appointment with him was 2 weeks after the crash. This was the x-ray at 2 weeks.
. This dr told me that surgery was not necessary and it would heal on its own. I have seen some x-ray pics on here but only the bad ones. Just wondering if people with similar x-rays like mine have had good results. Thanks for the reply in advance.
In my unprofessional opinion, your break has a good chance of healing but will form a slight malunion. Whether or not that bothers you depends on many things such as lifestyle, body type, concerns (cosmetic/functional). One way of looking at it is that there is no harm in trying the natural route first. You can always get surgery later. If you hop straight into surgery there is no taking it back. The only downfall to this approach is the possibility of two recovery periods if you choose to have the operation later on.

bsbs1876 said:
willy81 said:
brad, in you new avatar you look perfectly symmetrical and so am I :big-smile: :big-smile:
Thanks *****! It has certainly helped with the upper back pain behind the shoulder blades I had a few years ago. When is your surgeon gonna yank the metal out?
sorry for the late reply, I was busy with other things my surgeon could do it several months ago but I am busy, for sure it is going to happen sometime in the future because the metal bothers my and sometimes gives this sick numbness feeling. how are you? ready to get rid of it, you are approaching the 18 month limit in about 2 months.

Here is my progress roughly 6 weeks from my crash. Just got back from the Dr, and he told me that I get to ditch the sling which is awesome! He told me I could start moving my arm around to regain range of motion. Still advised me not to lift anything heavy. Hope this information helps people that just injured their clavicle. Feel free to ask any questions. I'd be glad to help if I can.

trek240, yours is not a complete fracture, it is a partial one, at the fracture site there is a part of the bone which has not been broken. in this case it mends significantly quicker.

Mate did you have any luck with this? Am going through the same thing right now…it sucks, I can't find a surgeon to help me.

Cheers.

willy81 said:
trek240, yours is not a complete fracture, it is a partial one, at the fracture site there is a part of the bone which has not been broken. in this case it mends significantly quicker.
I'm not here to debate whether it was a partial fracture, but if you look closely, it is a complete break. The 2 pieces do not line up and are displaced slightly. You can see the one part of it behind the other. All I was doing here is trying to help others. I spent hours reading this forum before making my decision to have surgery or not. I posted my story earlier, and got OPINIONS of others before making my choice.

Originally Posted by trek240

Here is my progress roughly 6 weeks from my crash. Just got back from the Dr, and he told me that I get to ditch the sling which is awesome! He told me I could start moving my arm around to regain range of motion. Still advised me not to lift anything heavy. Hope this information helps people that just injured their clavicle. Feel free to ask any questions. I'd be glad to help if I can.
Wow that looks like it healed pretty nicely for no surgery! Congrats Trek!

trek240 said:
willy81 said:
I'm not here to debate whether it was a partial fracture, but if you look closely, it is a complete break. The 2 pieces do not line up and are displaced slightly. You can see the one part of it behind the other. All I was doing here is trying to help others. I spent hours reading this forum before making my decision to have surgery or not. I posted my story earlier, and got OPINIONS of others before making my choice.
don't get upset dear, since you are doing better and the bone has not deformed much you are going to be fine soon, don't be hesitant about posting your point of view, we are here to help each other

willy81 said:
don't get upset dear, since you are doing better and the bone has not deformed much you are going to be fine soon, don't be hesitant about posting your point of view, we are here to help each other
Not upset man, just didn't want others to be misled by your opinion of the xray. I am very fortunate it doesn't look like some of these on here in the shape of a "Z".

trek240 said:
Not upset man, just didn't want others to be misled by your opinion of the xray. I am very fortunate it doesn't look like some of these on here in the shape of a "Z".
I think you made the right decision. It healed in a pretty nice shape that doesn't look to uncomfortable. Hopefully that little sharp point gets smoother over time too. How does it feel/look from the outside of the skin?

bsbs1876 said:
I think you made the right decision. It healed in a pretty nice shape that doesn't look to uncomfortable. Hopefully that little sharp point gets smoother over time too. How does it feel/look from the outside of the skin?
My whole clavicle is more prominent on that side. The sharp point doesn't bother me too bad. It doesn't catch on the skin like I've seen some people mention. It is a good way to freak people out if they touch it though. The Dr told me over time there may be a slight lump there that will develop over the sharp point. He said it could take a year for that to happen.

Any ideas on how long the muscle stiffness in the shoulder will last? I've been stretching, but it seems to take hours after I wake up for it to loosen back up?

Muscle stiffness is really the bigger challenge in all this now that the bone has healed. I required physical therapy to combat it, actually (though I did have surgery to repair my collarbone). As my surgeon said, when you broke your bone, not only did you ... break the bone, but your soft tissue got ripped up, too.

So you will have muscle stiffness for a while -- I still get it 10 months later -- and the best way to combat it is exercise it. My PT involved motion exercises and strengthening. Like take a 2-pound weight, and with your thumb pointing up, lift your arm slowly upward in front of you and down slowly, 10 and later 15 times, two sets. Do the same lifting your arm to the side (only to shoulder height). I did a thing where you lie on a big exercise ball forward, and with both arms lift 2-point weights, 10-15 times. Then exercises involving rubber exercise bands -- across your body from lower left to upper right, over your shoulder from back to front like a throwing motion, and so on. Take a ball, like a softball, and bounce it high off the wall as you move your arm back and forth, from like a 10 o'clock position to a 2 o'clock, 10 times, two sets. All kinds of things like this.

I did this a couple times a week, plus some of these exercises at home. They're tiring, but the shoulder actually feels better afterward.

Important thing: Warm up first in some way. My PT had me do it with an arm cycle -- you push on pedals with your arms. But it's hard to find something like at home. Before I could do much strengthening, the warm-up was a heating pad.

A simple, low-stress way to both warm up and simply stretch is a pulley like this:

http://www.discountmedicalsupplies.com/store/over-the-door-shoulder-pulley.html?gclid=CKL5ocnDsr8CFQoKaQod214AOA

nahho said:
Muscle stiffness is really the bigger challenge in all this now that the bone has healed. I required physical therapy to combat it, actually (though I did have surgery to repair my collarbone). As my surgeon said, when you broke your bone, not only did you ... break the bone, but your soft tissue got ripped up, too. So you will have muscle stiffness for a while -- I still get it 10 months later -- and the best way to combat it is exercise it. My PT involved motion exercises and strengthening. Like take a 2-pound weight, and with your thumb pointing up, lift your arm slowly upward in front of you and down slowly, 10 and later 15 times, two sets. Do the same lifting your arm to the side (only to shoulder height). I did a thing where you lie on a big exercise ball forward, and with both arms lift 2-point weights, 10-15 times. Then exercises involving rubber exercise bands -- across your body from lower left to upper right, over your shoulder from back to front like a throwing motion, and so on. Take a ball, like a softball, and bounce it high off the wall as you move your arm back and forth, from like a 10 o'clock position to a 2 o'clock, 10 times, two sets. All kinds of things like this. I did this a couple times a week, plus some of these exercises at home. They're tiring, but the shoulder actually feels better afterward.  Important thing: Warm up first in some way. My PT had me do it with an arm cycle -- you push on pedals with your arms. But it's hard to find something like at home. Before I could do much strengthening, the warm-up was a heating pad. A simple, low-stress way to both warm up and simply stretch is a pulley like this:  http://www.discountmedicalsupplies.com/store/over-the-door-shoulder-pulley.html?gclid=CKL5ocnDsr8CFQoKaQod214AOA
Huge help. I appreciate it. My Dr is not a big fan of using a physical therapist. He thinks it can all be done at home. I just needed some direction. Thanks again!

Huge help. I appreciate it. My Dr is not a big fan of using a physical therapist. He thinks it can all be done at home. I just needed some direction. Thanks again!
My doctor also told me that PT was not necessary. That things would figure themselves out eventually. I found that to be untrue in my case. The finger wall walks and ROM exercises are what got me back in the gym with proper weight progression (beginning with no weight at all). After I continued to complain to him he told admitted that PT would be a good idea.

bsbs1876 said:
My doctor also told me that PT was not necessary. That things would figure themselves out eventually. I found that to be untrue in my case. The finger wall walks and ROM exercises are what got me back in the gym with proper weight progression (beginning with no weight at all). After I continued to complain to him he told admitted that PT would be a good idea.
I called the Dr's office earlier to see if he would refer me to PT. I'm a fireman, and need to get back to work in as good of shape as possible. I don't want it to be half ass like some of my coworkers that had sub-par care.

bsbs1876 said:
Just got off the phone with the Dr's secretary and see told me that the Dr wanted me to wait another 4 weeks before starting PT. He just wants me to work on ROM. He said that I wasn't completely healed yet. Kinda makes me wonder if I should go back in a sling. If I'm not healed, I don't want the bone to come loose again. Any ideas?

Just got off the phone with the Dr's secretary and see told me that the Dr wanted me to wait another 4 weeks before starting PT. He just wants me to work on ROM. He said that I wasn't completely healed yet. Kinda makes me wonder if I should go back in a sling. If I'm not healed, I don't want the bone to come loose again. Any ideas?
Best idea is to listen to the docs advice. Don't go back in the sling though. That'll do more harm than good. If you don't start light ROM exercises you could get frozen shoulder.