Brompton Telescopic Seatpost on another folder

Mark

Guest
Hi

I need to buy a folder very soon for commuting with - because I am
tall, the only folder I can find that fits is a brompton, and then only
because they sell a telescopic seatpost extender.

So, I'm wondering whether (a) anyone knows of another company that do
telescopic seatposts and (b) whether I can use the brompton seatpost on
another bike to get the desired effect :)

Regards,
Mark.

Mark wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to buy a folder very soon for commuting with - because I am
> tall, the only folder I can find that fits is a brompton, and then only
> because they sell a telescopic seatpost extender.
>
> So, I'm wondering whether (a) anyone knows of another company that do
> telescopic seatposts and (b) whether I can use the brompton seatpost on
> another bike to get the desired effect :)

What's wrong with getting the Brompton? I doubt the telescopic seatpost
would fit others as a) its quite a large diameter (32mm?( and b) the
bottom is belled out so it cannot pull right through and that would need
to be cut off. You could try one of these on some of the other bikes:
http://www.totalbike.com/news/article/108/

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

I wouldn't talk you out of the brompton for comuting, but if you try
the dahon ranges you may find that they will fit at full extension.
I have ordered a telescopic post from

www.thorusa.com

, but since I haven't got it yet cannot really comment further.
TerryJ

In article <[email protected]>, Mark wrote:
>I need to buy a folder very soon for commuting with - because I am
>tall, the only folder I can find that fits is a brompton, and then only
>because they sell a telescopic seatpost extender.

Have you tried a Birdy? The seatpost on that goes up quite a bit higher
than the Dahon or standard Brompton ones (or at least the older models
did, but I think the new ones are the same).

(My own cheap solution: http://pics.livejournal.com/armb/pic/00001dhf/ )

Got it this morning.With this(34mm) telescopic seatpost in a dahon
20inch wheel folder you would have to be really quite extraordinary to
find it too small.The only problem would be reach and handlebar height,
and that applies to the other folders too.The stempost on my dahon is
telescopic and fits a road stem, so that is an easy fix.
TerryJ