building my bike up

ohfudge86

Nov 19, 2012
Hello I have a 1970 nishiki international I was wondering if there was anything worth doing to it as far as building it up maybe component brake wheel upgrades and conversions like converting to 700c I need it for hilly city commuting and carrying maybe even long distance as well as recreation what are some different options for this as for now I can convert to 700c. Thanks.

Once you have your 700c wheels + brake calipers (measure the REACH carefully before you order the replacement brake calipers), your budget is your only limitation ...

Almost all (okay, I actually do know of ONE exception!!) Japanese Road frames use standard 68mm wide, English threaded Bottom Brackets, so you can put almost any type of crankset on your Nishiki ...

Based on your description of how you plan to use your bike, I recommend that you consider one of Shimano's MTB cranksets (e.g., LX) + an appropriate, Shimano long cage rear derailleur ...

BUT, a "Compact" (50/34) ROAD crank + a Freewheel-or-Cassette with a 28t largest cog may provide sufficiently low gearing for where you plan to ride.