Burning Fat Calories

Don Shipp said:
I think that this remark is unfair. I have met dozens of Americans who are neither fat nor stupid.
OK. I'll give you that. There are dozons of Americans that are neither fat nor stupid. ;)

pgagne said:
Hi guys,

You will find a very interesting article on this subject just here

http://www.cptips.com/weight.htm
A clip from the article...

Even if the duration of the faster ride were shortened so that total Calories expended were equal (but proportionally more fat Calories with the slower pace) during both rides, a recent study at Georgia State University demonstrated an equivalent weight change i.e. there was no support for the idea that metabolizing fat for energy resulted in a greater weight loss. Another study at West Virginia U. study assigned 15 women to a low intensity (132 beats per minute) or high intensity (163 bpm) exercise group, both exercising for 45 minutes, 4 times a week. There was a decrease in overall body fat the high intensity group, but not the low intensity one, further evidence that it is total Calories expended, not the source of those Calories (CHO vs. fat) that makes the difference in an exercise supported weight loss program.

Kind of sums up what some of us have been saying.

frenchyge said:
No you didn't. 2.6 lbs * 3500 cal/pound of fat would mean a 9100 calorie workout. The century ride I did yesterday morning burned an estimated 4400 calories in 5.25 hours.

Be careful about advertising your results in this way as if there is a direct correlation. As I pointed out back when you posted your spreadsheet of results the first time, the calories burned during those rides *did not* justify the amount of weight loss that you measured. Something else was going on, and you shouldn't attribute the weight loss to the HR of your ride or anything else on that sheet.

I guess I have a different body than all you other people. Yes - I did lose 2.6 to 3 lbs from a bike ride of 35 to 54 miles. And that was not water. I measured my weight after a **** in the morning - did this the the day of the ride and the day after. During this time your hydration is the same - you're dehydrated in the morning - so my results are accurate weight losses. And I did not lose weight by dieting.

Likewise, it doesn't take me 3500 calories of food to gain 1 lb of fat. I can gain a 1 lb of fat by slightly overeating - like a 500 calorie pecan pie snack.

Maybe some people are different like me. And I know how to lose weight because I lost 60lbs of it!

As for workout calorie counts I don't think the Polar HRMs are accurate.

Doctor Morbius said:
Did you calculate that weight loss per ride using an HRM, or was that actual weight loss via digital scales done pre and post ride? I'd be tempted to say that 2.6 - 3.0 lbs from a single workout would be due to water loss.

I used a Tanita digital scale with .2 lb accuracy to weigh myself before each ride in the morning and the next day in the morning after I ****. I can't explain why I lose up to 3 lbs on one 40 mile ride and then sometimes I lose none! If it's the food I take before each ride then I will begin to take note of what foods to eat.

Right now I'm 145lbs 14% body fat and will keep going till I'm 10% body fat.

Just a couple of points, forgive me if they've been brought up before. Weight loss due to dehydration is not entirely due to fluid lost through urinary excretion. Plenty is lost through the lungs and via sweat also.
As I've posted elsewhere before, high-intensity exercise is a more effective way of reducing body fat than 'fat-burning' rides, see:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&dopt=Citation&list_uids=11319629

and

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=Citation&list_uids=8028502

L.

JTE83 said:
I guess I have a different body than all you other people. Yes - I did lose 2.6 to 3 lbs from a bike ride of 35 to 54 miles. And that was not water. I measured my weight after a **** in the morning - did this the the day of the ride and the day after. During this time your hydration is the same - you're dehydrated in the morning - so my results are accurate weight losses. And I did not lose weight by dieting.
I'm not saying that you didn't lose weight, just that you can't attribute the weight loss to that day's ride. C'mon, how do you explain losing no weight or being heavier after some of your rides, and losing a couple pounds on others? Your results were all over the map, so I don't know how you can say "79% MHR riding causes the most weight loss" just because you weighed lightest after that particular ride. Would you discourage 64.2% MHR (for example) rides because they make you gain weight?

JTE83 said:
Likewise, it doesn't take me 3500 calories of food to gain 1 lb of fat. I can gain a 1 lb of fat by slightly overeating - like a 500 calorie pecan pie snack.
Here are the first 3 google hits on the topic, and they say it does:
http://www.annecollins.com/weight-loss/calories-per-pound.htm
http://www.thecolumn.org/lose-fat.asp
http://www.caloriesperhour.com/faqs_pound.html

Maybe you're snacking every day for a week?

JTE83 said:
Maybe some people are different like me. And I know how to lose weight because I lost 60lbs of it!

Per some of the other threads on this forum, 600-800 cal/hr are typical values for cycling, and that seemed pretty consistent with the values on your spreadsheet if I remember right. Maybe you are different, but if people could lose 1.5 pounds of fat per hour by riding a bike then there wouldn't be a single car left on the road.

Again, I'm not saying you didn't see what you say you did, just that you can't attribute the results directly to the riding and HR's used.

JTE83 said:

Weight varies due to lots of things, not just hydration. You might be partially dehydrated in the morning but certainly don't assume that you can't be *more* dehydrated at other times or from morning to morning. Also food in the gut weighs some as does stored fuel substrates (including creatine phosphate and glycogen). This second point explains rapid weight gain during a taper *and* weight loss after a ride (ironically some weight loss is certainly due to the use of carbohydrate as a fuel). Weight is a hopeless indicator of body composition. Even 'gold standard' measures of body composition such as underwater weighing are indirect and subject to fairly large variations. The biochemical processes in the body are identical from person to person. One mole of a particular fuel is metabolised identically no matter who you are; it is biologically impossible to store a pound of fat from only overeating 500 kcal.
I thought Polar calories were hopless, but they're better than you think; see:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15292754
L.

JTE83 said:
I lost 60 lbs in 2 years and I still ate carbs, donuts, candy, pecan pie, carrot cake, or whatever. I did not go on any diet, I just limited my junk food to 350 calories a day and I only drank diet soda. My workout rides were 35 to 54 miles long, and my HR was between 78% to 87% MHR.

People who tell you to bike at 60 - 65% MHR are giving you bad advice. Go for the max fat burn rate at 79% MHR. I would lose up to 3 lbs from a 79% MHR workout. And I've lost 2.6 lbs from a 83% MHR workout too.

And if you're fat biking at 60 - 65% MHR means that you're going 11 mph ? Is that fun or inspiring?
Disagree that riding at 65% of max HR is "bad advice"; it's all over the popular training books that I've read. E.G, in his Performance Plan book, Lance says he does his long (4-6 hr) endurance rides consistantly at 60-62% of max HR, which would be 120-125 bpm for him. If you're only going 11 mph at 60-65% HR, that says to me your aerobic fitness level is pretty low, and a lot more base training is needed. With steady mileage training, your easy ride speeds will pick up.

If you watched the TdF Stage today, the HR telemetry data for Nardelo and another rider was shown on the OLN broadcast screen. First reading with around 35K to go was 134 bpm on one of the riders, the other was about 150. That's about 67-75%, assuming a max HR of 200. They picked up towards the finish in Les Essarts, but the highest reading that I saw was around 160-165.

Also interesting was the graph Carmichael showed of LA's HR during the TT. It went up rapidly to 191 (95%), then settled at 184 (92%) for the duration.

79% of max HR is still a good aerobic level. My opinion is that harder riding (eg, 85% or higher) is unnecessary and possibly counterproductive for a recreational rider who is concerned about weight loss and general fitness improvement. But it's only my opinion. Obviously lots of different approaches work for different people.

Well, 65% MHR aerobic rides are fine for professional cyclist for their base training, but for an obese cyclist I wouldn't recommend it. When I started biking at a fat 205 lbs I could hardly go a decent speed - my first recorded Polar workout showed that I did a 12.6 mph avg at 162 bpm or 87.56% MHR - and I had a cal burn rate of 61 cal per mile (in 43F weather). Nowadays from my lastest workout I can do 18 mph avg at 81.62% MHR - at a calorie burn rate of 35.79 cal / mile at 145 lbs.

I have a whole years worth of 2004 workout data showing what HR I worked out and how much weight I lost. But I don't have the time to extract the data. All I remember was that my target HR to burn fat was 87% MHR - and I lost a lot of weight doing that last year.

Sure, a fat cyclist can try burning fat at 65% MHR - but it might take him a lot longer than if he does it at 79% to 83% MHR.

JTE83 said:
Remember that for every 1 gram of carbohydrate, your body ties up 4 grams of water. If you go for a ride a burn e.g. 250g from glycogen (~1000kcal), you will lose 1 liter (2.2pounds) of water as well. To replace *that* part of the water loss, you *have* to eat quite a bit of carbohydrates. It's not enough to just hydrate, the body needs the glycogen to store some of the water.

To compare weights from one day to the other you have both hydrated and have your glycogen stores topped out before any comparison is made.

Just a note, I know it's a common to say that 1 pound of fat is 3500kcal, but for those of you that didn't know, 1 pound of fat is ~4260kcal.

JTE83 said:
Sure, a fat cyclist can try burning fat at 65% MHR - but it might take him a lot longer than if he does it at 79% to 83% MHR.

I guess to be really scientific - I think I should try a 65% MHR ride too to see the results. Yesterday I went for a 3.76 mile cruise around my neighborhood just to look around and I ended up .8 lbs lighter today. Could have been my metabolism, but I did eat a ~500 cal pecan bar snack.

JTE83 said:
Yesterday I went for a 3.76 mile cruise around my neighborhood just to look around and I ended up .8 lbs lighter today. Could have been my metabolism, but I did eat a ~500 cal pecan bar snack.
You must be kidding now. You don't really believe that your 3.76mile cruise made you burn (0.8lbs x 4170kcal/lbs) ~3330kcal ?

You do know that it would not be uncommon for a contender in Tour de France to burn 6-7000kcal per day? And you claim you burn half of that during your 3.76mile ride?

Just curious, how much time did you spend on this ride, 20-30minutes?

Aaberg said:
Yeah but you see he was riding a fully loaded touring bike, towing a trailer up a 3.76 mile climb with an average grade of 18%.... oh wait even then it isn't even close to realistic :D

JTE83 said:
I guess to be really scientific - I think I should try a 65% MHR ride too to see the results. Yesterday I went for a 3.76 mile cruise around my neighborhood just to look around and I ended up .8 lbs lighter today. Could have been my metabolism, but I did eat a ~500 cal pecan bar snack.
I used to have a bike that.

Aaberg said:
You must be kidding now. You don't really believe that your 3.76mile cruise made you burn (0.8lbs x 4170kcal/lbs) ~3330kcal ?

You do know that it would not be uncommon for a contender in Tour de France to burn 6-7000kcal per day? And you claim you burn half of that during your 3.76mile ride?

I rode 26 minutes at an avg of 8.7 mph so I was going slow just looking around.

Hey, I'm happy to lose weight from any bike ride or if it's just my metabolism. Quite a few times within the past year I have lost weight without any biking. Means that I have a good metabolism from biking to lose weight and not dieting.

If I overate one day I would gain weight, then my metabolism would kick in and I would lose some weight the next day.

I guess I might try a 65% MHR ride - but that would mean I would be doing about 13 - 14 mph on my $3271 Cervelo Soloist Team bike or my $3516 Kestrel Talon. Really funny when you see a person on an expensive bike going so slow!

I told you I'm different! I can easily gain weight too. LIke these are notes of what I ate and then I gained 2 lbs - 150.4lbs morning weight Ate a big piece of pecan pie today and nut candies. Ovaltine chocolate at night 153.4 after dinner weight Rallys Double Jalapeno Cheeseburger lunch and BJ's catfish dinner. The next day I weighed in at 152.4lbs.

My goal this year was to bike to lose weight to go to 145 lbs. Now that I've reached my goal I bike to keep my speed. And now I take the risk of eating more - like eating more junk food like donuts, cakes, ice cream or whatever. But I really hate to gain weight, and I love what my light weight has done for my speed - so I take my time eating junk foods - I don't eat them too much - and my food would rather spoil then me get fat.

I'm 144 lbs 13.7% fat. I would like to go to 138 lbs or 10% body fat, but I'll take my time doing that. I'm happy at 145. The veins in my arms are starting to show sometimes, but my abs don't have definition yet. So I guess it would be good to lose more weight.

wilmar13 said:
Yeah but you see he was riding a fully loaded touring bike, towing a trailer up a 3.76 mile climb with an average grade of 18%.... oh wait even then it isn't even close to realistic :D
Your avatar cracks me up. "It'll get ya' drunk!" :D