Fat burning vs Running out of fuel

poky

Nov 27, 2005
I'm a newbie 59 year old male riding seriously for 2 years. i've dropped 60 lbs (230-170). now getting into longer distances (40-50 miles at 18+/- MPH) i'm running out of energy. i need to loose another 10-15lbs. how do you keep burning fat without running out of fuel??

Interesting question. I don't bonk on a ride, so I must be converting fat to energy.

What time of day do you ride? Before breakfast?

You could try doing a 90 Km (50mile) ride as follows:
- first hour, at about 80% of your normal pace i.e. back off and leave some in reserve
- in the last half-hour, see how hard you can go...
And don't ride the day before a 50-miler, or if you do, just do maybe a 20mile cruise without trying to break any records.

After the 1st hour of exercise, we need up to 300 Calories of quick energy to maintain blood glycogen. This is top-up fuel. The majority of your fuel source on endurance type rides will still be fat. So, a bagel and sports drink; baked potato; powerbar, etc. will keep you from bonking.

I wouldn't suggest programming bonk rides (like above) without eating. If you do get in trouble and bonk, get off the bike and rest for 10-20 minutes. You'll convert fat into carb and you'll be able to limp home at a reduced pace. This is not training however.

poky said:
I'm a newbie 59 year old male riding seriously for 2 years. i've dropped 60 lbs (230-170). now getting into longer distances (40-50 miles at 18+/- MPH) i'm running out of energy. i need to loose another 10-15lbs. how do you keep burning fat without running out of fuel??
What and how much are you eating and drinking while riding?

L

In addition to what others said, IMHO you need to determine your average heart rates for those rides to see what zone you're riding in. Do you have a heart rate monitor? If not I'd highly advise one. You might be burning too much sugar instead of fat for energy on those rides which would cause "bonking". I use a HRM to train/ride and never run out of energy anymore.

Tom

WOW. this stuff is more technical than i thought. I've been going out without eating anything thinking that i would burn more fat that way. i'm going t get a HRM and try this. thanks for the replies.

poky said:
WOW. this stuff is more technical than i thought. I've been going out without eating anything thinking that i would burn more fat that way. i'm going t get a HRM and try this. thanks for the replies.
Even on a 100km ride plus, I never eat more than a banana and perhaps if I get up early enough a small bowl of mixed cereal before setting off. I will eat 1 Powerbar and one more banana during the ride. And remember these are mountainous rides with climbs up to 17%. I've never owned an HRM and don't need or want one. Common sense stops you from bonking. Why don't I want an HRM? Because it doesn't tell me much, and I don't want to train watching a bloody HRM thinking I'd better speed up/slow down, I'm going to have a heart attack, damn it says 280bpm, I must have died. :D

Others will disagree, especially those who have bought one, but then they would wouldn't they.;) TYSON

P.S. FYI I'm 63!

poky said:
If you go out w/o eating that is just plain crazy. I eat a bagel (prefer a salty one) or a nice bowl of oatmeal before my rides, and carry one Powerbar for each hour I plan to ride after the first hour (so on a three hour ride I'll take two Powerbars). I might not eat both but better to have just in case. Also I mix a sports drink (Accelerade) and take it with me. It sounds like a lot, but I never run out of energy. :)

ttrawin said:
If you go out w/o eating that is just plain crazy. I eat a bagel (prefer a salty one) or a nice bowl of oatmeal before my rides, and carry one Powerbar for each hour I plan to ride after the first hour (so on a three hour ride I'll take two Powerbars). I might not eat both but better to have just in case. Also I mix a sports drink (Accelerade) and take it with me. It sounds like a lot, but I never run out of energy. :)
Exactly what I was saying tt. I also used to take 2 powerbars but have never eaten 2 so gave it up. I also take a small bottle of Gatorade along with some plain water. TYSON

Sillyoldtwit said:
Exactly what I was saying tt. I also used to take 2 powerbars but have never eaten 2 so gave it up. I also take a small bottle of Gatorade along with some plain water. TYSON
Water is definitely something else I take along. Can never have enough of it.
I usually take a mouthful about every 10 minutes during rides. In fact I down about quarter to half a bottle during my warmups just to stay well hydrated. They say you get dehydrated long before symptoms actually surface (like a dry mouth, etc.).

ttrawin said:
Water is definitely something else I take along. Can never have enough of it.
I usually take a mouthful about every 10 minutes during rides. In fact I down about quarter to half a bottle during my warmups just to stay well hydrated. They say you get dehydrated long before symptoms actually surface (like a dry mouth, etc.).
There are very good reasons to drink something other than water on rides lasting longer than 1-1.5 hours. Going out for longer periods, 2-3 hours "requires" supliemental calories. If you don't want to eat, I'd at least suggest switching to a "sports drink" to take with you.

You "bonk" when your body runs out of blood glycogen. At that point, to supply your muscles with the energy (sugars) they need to contract, they must metabolize those sugars from fat. The problem is, this is a very slow process and it causes us to bonk. We can only go as fast as our body can metabolize fat---> glucose. The idea behind consuming calories while riding is that you want to keep your blood sugar high enough that your muscles have the fuel they need, while at the same time, your body is metabolizing fat to supliment the calorie lossed to excercies. On the low end, it's not an all or nothing equation. You can use two energy sources at once. On the high end, it becomes all charbohydrates/sugars. However, once you exhaust your glycogen stores, your doomed to be in low power ranges until you can significantly recover (normally multiple hours of rest).

http://www.ccccracing.com/articles/article_2.pdf

Trying switching out one of your water bottles for a sports drink next time and see how you do. Some folks find that at full strength, it's difficult to take so they cut it 50/50 or 75/25 (drink/water). I use if full strength and then cut it by drinking water from my other bottle. I figure it's nice to have the extra calories and I can usually find H20 on the road if I need to.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
L

personally, I can get by on 20g/hour for a long endurance ride. my longest rides are 4hours, but typically closer to 3 hours. i have a PT hub and learned that the first couple hours are ok at 20g/hour, but the last hour or so my wattage drops about 5-10W. and i feel really fatigued and my heart rate goes up about 5 bpm too. anyway, consuming something during the ride will help you out a lot! and dont be affraid to experiment. play around with gels, drinks, and bars. and certainly dont rule out "real food". but real food tends to be more bulky. personal choice there.

ttrawin said:
In addition to what others said, IMHO you need to determine your average heart rates for those rides to see what zone you're riding in. Do you have a heart rate monitor? If not I'd highly advise one. You might be burning too much sugar instead of fat for energy on those rides which would cause "bonking". I use a HRM to train/ride and never run out of energy anymore.

Tom
You never run out of energy because you are riding very easily.

If you are in a race, nobody is going to wait for you. Ride as hard and for as long as you want.

You do not burn sugar instead of fat. We burn a baseline of fat up to a certain level, and then glycogen burning supplements energy requirements over a mid-endurance pace.

We're always burning fat.

Spunout said:
We're always burning fat.
No, muscles can't use fat for energy, so we're always "burning" sugar. It's the source of that glycogen/glucose, or more technically the percentage of those sugars that comes form muscle glycogen, blood glucose or stored body fat that changes with our intensity level.

Lonnie Utah said:
No, muscles can't use fat for energy, so we're always "burning" sugar. It's the source of that glycogen/glucose, or more technically the percentage of those sugars that comes form muscle glycogen, blood glucose or stored body fat that changes with our intensity level.
I think that is the info that the OP was looking for. That it's more of a continual shift for where the primary source of energy for our muscles comes from. What might be added is that training can effect the shape of "curve" so to speak

Spunout said:
If you do get in trouble and bonk, get off the bike and rest for 10-20 minutes. You'll convert fat into carb and you'll be able to limp home at a reduced pace.
Mabyee this is why I don't bonk. After doing the fast section we wait for everyone to arrive to regroup for the ride home. Perhaps these 10 minutes or so are long enough for my carb levels to be replenished.

Spunout said:
Utilize fat then. We were speaking of energy sources, not cellular reactions.
I think you understand on one level, as you have given the correct advice, but you have mis-understood how our body works. We ARE talking about cellular reactions, because it's our cells that do the conversion of one energy source to the other. You cannot separate the two. When we exercise, we are always burning glycogen in our muscles. This glycogen is replaced by glucose in our blood. The glucose in our blood is replaced by converting fat and glycogen in our liver and other areas to glucose. All of this happens inside the cells. At low levels of exertion, our body can keep up with the replacement of glycogen/glucose by our fat cells. At high levels of exertion, it cannot.

So if we are riding longer, we have two options. First, we can recharge our blood glucose levels by eating and drinking. However, this is not fool proof. We can only take up about 300-500 calories/hour this way (without getting an upset stomach). Most cyclists burn calories at a rate higher than this. Our other option is to ride slower to allow our system to metabolize fat into blood glucose at a rate that equals or surpasses what we are using in our muscles. If you "bonk" and exhaust your muscles glycogen stores, this is what you are going to be doing without a choice. I've been there and it's not fun (the last 35 miles of a 75 mile ride into a 20+ mph headwind, solo). Of course we can also do a combination of both things. Finally, as we train, our bodies become more efficient at using energy, so this mitigates some of these previous factors. Don't think, however, you can train yourself out of having to take in some nutrition on long rides.

Lonnie Utah said:
If you "bonk" and exhaust your muscles glycogen stores, this is what you are going to be doing without a choice.
So, I guess the crucial question then becomes: How much energy can you store in your muscles as glycogen? As you have pointed out, once you run out of that source of energy, you're screwed: A calorie intake of 300 calories per hour by eating/drinking is less than a quarter of the rate at which an average cyclist typically burns calories for something like a 20mph average in flat terrain. Anybody know at what rate we can burn fat? My guess is, though, that even combining nutrition and fat burning, we won't be able to get above 1000 calories per hour, which is probably the very least we need for anything resembling a decent pace (well, at least going solo). So, for how many hours can we make the glycogen stores last, and how can we cram as much glycogen as possible in the stores?