Buying first road bike!!!!! Finally!!!

Scott Addict R3, approx $2229, Shimano 105. Mavic Aksium Wheelset is a proven durable product, but you will probably want to upgrade in the future to something like Zipp 404's.

I seriously doubt that you will find a wheelset tailored to climbing on a bike in your price range. The manufacturers are going to supply a good overall wheelset that would suit the needs of most riders. BTW.....Scott has been around for awhile and they are a strong company with great customer service. I don't think that you would have any problems placing your confidence in them.

Wow, that was actually the exact bike I was looking at. Maybe that's a sign. Thanks for the advice on the wheels.

I'm a big fan of the Felt bikes....

if you want something more Aero, look at their AR line - a bit on the pricey side - the entry version is $2500 with 105 http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Road/AR-Series/AR5.aspx but is a nice aero frame.

If you want something more along the lines of a regular race bike the F5 (105) is a nice bike http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Road/F-Series/F5.aspx

And of course, I can't not post my favorite, the more relaxed geometry Z series http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Road/Z-Series/Z5.aspx (I re-read your post and missed that you didn't want any "enthusiast" frames. - even so, I *love* my Z frame - even though mine is aluminum, rides great)

With Felt you are up to $3000 for Ultegra gear..... but the new 105 is pretty solid stuff....

If you like the felt bikes , you should take a look at the AR4 . aggressive positioning for a road bike, yet not as aggressive as a TT bike . this was the second road bike I purchased , eventually I put some after market aero bars on . they helped improve my MPH average and overall time . AR4 comes with full shimano ultegra and is worthy of wheelset upgrades in the future . purchased this bike in feb 2010 , however the bike was a 2009 , paid 2400.00 plus tax . I personally do not think that spending 3000.00 on a a bike is too much if you know this is going to be part of your lifestyle .This is a step up from a entry level bike . whatever you decide one thing is for sure , when you look at your knew bike every day you should be drooling on it and it should be the most beautiful thing in your living room ( 2nd to your women of course ) .

Originally Posted by kmjohnson02 .

I have never owned a decent road bike (I have a bike I got from value village for free) and I am looking to get my first REAL bike!

My budget is up to around $3,000
5'6" 145lbs
At this price you're looking at a standard carbon framed road bike with basically a Shimano Ultegra or SRAM Rival drivetrain. Here are some options:
  • Trek Madone 5.2
  • Specialized Tarmac Comp
  • Scott CR1 Elite
  • Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • Felt F4
Obviously, there are more choices, but these are the ones I'm familiar with. At 5'6", you should be looking at a 52 cm frame. Clip-on bar extensions can be added later. Time trial and triathlon bikes are nice if you already have a road bike, but a road bike will give you the most versatility for now. And you can get a Shimano 105-equipped version of these bikes (or a Trek 4.7) and have some money left for pedals, shoes, helmet, etc.

I purchased a 2010 Felt F4 ( complete ultegra ) at my LBS this last late october cost was 2200.00 plus tax ( 2420.00 out the door ).There are deals to be had on 2010 bikes - you could have your LBS call the bike reps and see what's available for whatever brand you are favoring . The 2010 shimano ultegra is an excellent choice and beautiful also . You do not necessarily have to settle for what's on the store floor .

just made an amazing contact now with a guy "in the business" through my battalion Sergeant Major. He said he can get me at least half off guaranteed.

So I am still looking at about the same prices but now have more money to throw in for customization!!!

that kind of news is always welcomed .want to see the bike you end up with . keep us informed .

For what its worth, I have been going through this same debate as you lately. I also have a similar budget ~$2500.

I have come to the conclusion that all of the companies are offering equally good products in each respective price point. I honestly think that it pretty much comes down to what bike makes you drool the most when you see it. This is of course assuming that after the initial drooling the bike fits you well and rides nicely. I have been seriously considering the Scott CR1 Elite, this bike has a great component group, and seems to have a wheelset that is far better than what most are offering in this price range.

Good luck on the Bike search, and thanks for your service.

You can get a great new premium bike for $1500-2000 - no need to spend $3000. If you buy a bike at the shop you are basically buying it so you can take it back to the shop if you have a warranty claim or to get minor tune-ups which they probably offer for free. Check the completed auctions at ebay for used prices of previous stuff. You might be surprised.

You might also be suprised when you receive a bike with a cracked frame, or any number of other problems that could occur from buying on ebay.

Originally Posted by m0b00st .

You might also be surprised when you receive a bike with a cracked frame, or any number of other problems that could occur from buying on ebay.
+1 a million times over. I have purchased several bikes, frames, and a lot of components on eBay with no problems. Then I bought what looked like a nice bike and was represented as such until I received it. It would have been a great bike if it did not have such bad internal corrosion. It was bad enough that it had started to rust through the BB shell. You couldn't see that on the photographs but it became quite apparent when I got it and the crank was frozen. Luckily I did not spend much on the bike but the shipping was kinda high. I stripped it for useable parts and carted the rest of it to the local steel recycler. Every now and then you get a seller who is trying to put one over on someone for a quick buck.