BV Membership RIP / Insurance Cover?

Cheezo

Guest
I took up riding about a year ago and thought it a good idea to sign up
for Bicycle Victoria Membership but 12 months down the track I'm still
doing lots of riding but have found the membership to be a waste of $.

On a separate topic, I was also HUGELY disappointed in their crappy
organisation of Around the Bay last year.

Anyway, I can do without he advocacy, magazines, Great Rides Discounts
and 'Exclusive Member Deals', but I had a question about insurance cover.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good cycling insurance cover....
i don't need any bells and whistles.

I guess all i'm really after is cover for:
1. Injury i may do to someone else and;
2. Damage I may do to someone else's property

I already have Private Hospital Cover.

Any help would be most appreciated...

Cheezo

Cheezo wrote:
> I took up riding about a year ago and thought it a good idea to sign up
> for Bicycle Victoria Membership but 12 months down the track I'm still
> doing lots of riding but have found the membership to be a waste of $.

You think so? You think all that cycling infrastructure that's cropping
up around the state got there by itself? BV do a hell of a lot for
cycling and that's largely down to the membership base. I don't think
that's a waste of dollars.

What exactly were you expecting from BV membership?

> On a separate topic, I was also HUGELY disappointed in their crappy
> organisation of Around the Bay last year.

What disappointed you about it? I had a great ride.

> Anyway, I can do without he advocacy, magazines, Great Rides Discounts
> and 'Exclusive Member Deals', but I had a question about insurance cover.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows of any good cycling insurance cover....
> i don't need any bells and whistles.
>
> I guess all i'm really after is cover for:
> 1. Injury i may do to someone else and;
> 2. Damage I may do to someone else's property

Should be covered under your household insurance if it's any good. Also
consider Cyclecover. It's a household insurance policy for cyclists.
Lots of bells and whistles but it's the only one (that I'm aware of)
that actually insures you on your bike when riding which is kind of
important to me.
--
Cheers
Euan

Cheezo wrote:
> I took up riding about a year ago and thought it a good idea to sign up
> for Bicycle Victoria Membership but 12 months down the track I'm still
> doing lots of riding but have found the membership to be a waste of $.

It's a shame you feel that way, some bits of BV certainly can do with
improvement, but on the whole, they offer a valuable service, IMO. Esp
with Dutchy onboard!

> On a separate topic, I was also HUGELY disappointed in their crappy
> organisation of Around the Bay last year.

What was wrong with it?

> Anyway, I can do without he advocacy, magazines, Great Rides Discounts
> and 'Exclusive Member Deals', but I had a question about insurance cover.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows of any good cycling insurance cover....
> i don't need any bells and whistles.
>
> I guess all i'm really after is cover for:
> 1. Injury i may do to someone else and;
> 2. Damage I may do to someone else's property

You want 3rd party cover, the BV insurance, as you know, does this (but
in the fine print, the excess is $1000, which they should be a lot more
open about).

Or, there's this mob :

http://www.cyclecover.com.au/

Cheezo wrote:
> I took up riding about a year ago and thought it a good idea to sign up
> for Bicycle Victoria Membership but 12 months down the track I'm still
> doing lots of riding but have found the membership to be a waste of $.
>
> On a separate topic, I was also HUGELY disappointed in their crappy
> organisation of Around the Bay last year.
>
> Anyway, I can do without he advocacy, magazines, Great Rides Discounts
> and 'Exclusive Member Deals', but I had a question about insurance cover.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows of any good cycling insurance cover....
> i don't need any bells and whistles.
>
> I guess all i'm really after is cover for:
> 1. Injury i may do to someone else and;
> 2. Damage I may do to someone else's property
>
> I already have Private Hospital Cover.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated...
>
> Cheezo

Try joining a club. I know the WA Triathlon association membership
covers you when you're out training which is when you're most likely to
have an accident.

Friday

I'm assuming Dutchy will get onto this thread at some stage, so I was
wondering what the deal is with legal representation with BV membership.
I recall seeing reference to it in other posts. And I'm thinking BV
membership may be worth it for me as a commuter just as a form of legal
representation insurance.

DaveB

"Friday" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Try joining a club. I know the WA Triathlon association membership
> covers you when you're out training which is when you're most likely to
> have an accident.

Your local cycling club shoudl be able to join you up as a Ride-it member
for $45/yr which has similar insurace. Join in October and get 15months
membership (it's a year membership term, expires 31 Dec each year)

Euan wrote:
> Cheezo wrote:
>> I took up riding about a year ago and thought it a good idea to sign
>> up for Bicycle Victoria Membership but 12 months down the track I'm
>> still doing lots of riding but have found the membership to be a waste
>> of $.

> You think so? You think all that cycling infrastructure that's cropping
> up around the state got there by itself? BV do a hell of a lot for
> cycling and that's largely down to the membership base. I don't think
> that's a waste of dollars.

Maybe so but thats pretty hard to put a price on... and I read the email
newsletters and the magazine and can't really remember anything being
done in the Moorabbin area where i ride (happy to be proven wrong)

> What exactly were you expecting from BV membership?

Clearly more than i got

>> On a separate topic, I was also HUGELY disappointed in their crappy
>> organisation of Around the Bay last year.

> What disappointed you about it? I had a great ride.

Note that I did the 100km ride and REALLY enjoyed it however I was
pretty disappointed with the organisation for such a big event... - and
yes I know its a lot of people to manage but its not like it was the
first time BV have run the event..... my gripes were
* The Bib Saga. How hard can it be to place an order on time - or at
least have a backup strategy
* The toilets at Sorrento (near the carpark where the buses were
stopping) ran out of Toilet Paper and there were hardly any toilets.
Uncomfortable start to the day and lots of annoyed people!
* I was looking for the start line at 8:10am but was unable to find it -
there was a lot of confusion and eventually i just left with some
others... seemed hugely disorganised and the volunteers didn't seem to
be able to provide much guidance... a lot of people still don't seem to
know if they started at the actual start.
* Signage was Marginal in my opinion... The green on white signs seemed
to just blend in with other street signs... go for a bright fluoro sign
all the way
* I completely missed the lunch stop in Frankston... there were signs
saying rest break but I didnt see or hear anything saying "LUNCH"...
need to make it more obvious.
* "Show bag" could not be more poorly named... Just a heap of
advertising and Potato Salad. Honestly... that was embarrassing... I
like to think as bike riders we support keeping a clean env't. not
contribute to the masses of waste paper advertising... leave the ads in
the DVD maybe - or maybe stick them on the jersey!
* Too expensive considering not one cent went to the Smith Family...

>> Anyway, I can do without he advocacy, magazines, Great Rides Discounts
>> and 'Exclusive Member Deals', but I had a question about insurance cover.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone knows of any good cycling insurance
>> cover.... i don't need any bells and whistles.
>>
>> I guess all i'm really after is cover for:
>> 1. Injury i may do to someone else and;
>> 2. Damage I may do to someone else's property

> Should be covered under your household insurance if it's any good. Also
> consider Cyclecover. It's a household insurance policy for cyclists.
> Lots of bells and whistles but it's the only one (that I'm aware of)
> that actually insures you on your bike when riding which is kind of
> important to me.

Thanks - will look into it

Cheezo said:
> Should be covered under your household insurance if it's any good. Also
> consider Cyclecover. It's a household insurance policy for cyclists.
> Lots of bells and whistles but it's the only one (that I'm aware of)
> that actually insures you on your bike when riding which is kind of
> important to me.[/color]

Thanks - will look into it

CGU offer cycle cover through Cyclesafe, and QBE has recently upgrade its bicycle coverage. Both, I believe, offer accidental damage and theft cover wherever the bike is. Not sure about QBE, but Cyclesafe will cover racing and 'pacemaking' (???) incidents for additional premium.

Pat

vaudegiant said:
CGU offer cycle cover through Cyclesafe, and QBE has recently upgrade its bicycle coverage. Both, I believe, offer accidental damage and theft cover wherever the bike is. Not sure about QBE, but Cyclesafe will cover racing and 'pacemaking' (???) incidents for additional premium.
Pat

After my recent experiences, whoever, you insure with make sure you read the Policy Document before hand and don't trust a word the person on the phone says.

From my current research, when I do eventually get a new bike, CycleCover is who I will be going with.

MikeyOz said:
After my recent experiences, whoever, you insure with make sure you read the Policy Document before hand and don't trust a word the person on the phone says.

From my current research, when I do eventually get a new bike, CycleCover is who I will be going with.

Cyclecover is QBE

Pat

DaveB said:
I'm assuming Dutchy will get onto this thread at some stage, so I was
wondering what the deal is with legal representation with BV membership.
I recall seeing reference to it in other posts. And I'm thinking BV
membership may be worth it for me as a commuter just as a form of legal
representation insurance.

DaveB

he's a lazy pr1ck, so don't hold your breathe... :rolleyes:

TimC can (possibly?) give you first hand (unbiased) experience of that.
Basically you have full support of MauriceBlackburnCashman to kick TAC, insurers,etc on your behalf.

Moorabbin, hey? anything in particular?

Flying"genie"Dutch

Hey, this thread has prompted me to renew my bv membership. I forgot
that I wasn't covered for anything I hit. So before I pile into that
Porsche, time to renew.

warrwych wrote:
> flyingdutch Wrote:
>> Flying"genie"Dutch

> Genie hmm.. is that a never ending packet of timtams I spy in your
> panniers????

did someone mention TimTams???

--
Karen (drooling)

"Sometimes I think I have a Guardian Idiot - a little invisible spirit just
behind my shoulder, looking out for me ... only he's an imbecile" - Jake Stonebender

In aus.bicycle on 23 Aug 2006 21:09:05 -0700
AndrewJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hey, this thread has prompted me to renew my bv membership. I forgot
> that I wasn't covered for anything I hit. So before I pile into that
> Porsche, time to renew.

I just checked with my insurer, not covered in any way while riding as
the bike is "sporting equipment". Presumably they figure it's
expected it might break in action like a hockey stick....

When I got a quote from BNSW's insurer a while back the premium was
twice as much, so I'd be betting that I'd break my bike by slamming
into someone else rather than them slamming in to me.

I'm undecided as to how likely this is....

Zebee

I'm worried about pedestrians.

They have a nasty habit of walking backwards while talking on their
mobile phones right in front of me. Only a matter of time before I
total one, and no doubt I'll be taken to be at fault. There is a $1000
excess, but I figure pedestrians are expensive to collide with.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on 23 Aug 2006 21:09:05 -0700
> AndrewJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hey, this thread has prompted me to renew my bv membership. I forgot
> > that I wasn't covered for anything I hit. So before I pile into that
> > Porsche, time to renew.
> >

> I just checked with my insurer, not covered in any way while riding as
> the bike is "sporting equipment". Presumably they figure it's
> expected it might break in action like a hockey stick....
>
> When I got a quote from BNSW's insurer a while back the premium was
> twice as much, so I'd be betting that I'd break my bike by slamming
> into someone else rather than them slamming in to me.
>
> I'm undecided as to how likely this is....
>
> Zebee

In aus.bicycle on 23 Aug 2006 21:40:38 -0700
AndrewJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm worried about pedestrians.
>
> They have a nasty habit of walking backwards while talking on their
> mobile phones right in front of me. Only a matter of time before I
> total one, and no doubt I'll be taken to be at fault. There is a $1000
> excess, but I figure pedestrians are expensive to collide with.

So far I haven't had that much of a problem with peds. They've either
reacted to the bell or I've had room and time to avoid them.

It's other bikes that worry me.... usually ridden by small children
with no control and horrible target fixation or they are small MTBs or
BMXs ridden by helmetless lads with neither vision nor self-preservation.

Compared to cycle paths the ride to work is incident-free.

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on 23 Aug 2006 21:40:38 -0700
> AndrewJ <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm worried about pedestrians.
>>
>> They have a nasty habit of walking backwards while talking on their
>> mobile phones right in front of me. Only a matter of time before I
>> total one, and no doubt I'll be taken to be at fault. There is a $1000
>> excess, but I figure pedestrians are expensive to collide with.

> So far I haven't had that much of a problem with peds. They've either
> reacted to the bell or I've had room and time to avoid them.
>
> It's other bikes that worry me.... usually ridden by small children
> with no control and horrible target fixation or they are small MTBs or
> BMXs ridden by helmetless lads with neither vision nor self-preservation.
>
> Compared to cycle paths the ride to work is incident-free.
>
> Zebee

I've had more problems with pedestrians walking dogs without leads.
Completely unpredictable if the owner doesn't control the animal.

--
daveL

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:30:03 GMT
daveL <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've had more problems with pedestrians walking dogs without leads.
> Completely unpredictable if the owner doesn't control the animal.

The dogs in the off leash areas I've ridden through seem to have
reasonable amount of sense. They don't run in front of me, and they
seem to keep an eye on me if I'm near them.

The ones on leads have completely given up all common sense though,
relying on the lead-holder to have some. I thought dogs were smarter
than that!

Zebee

daveL said:
I've had more problems with pedestrians walking dogs without leads.
Completely unpredictable if the owner doesn't control the animal.

--
daveL

Yup, those humans, once off the lead, are feral :p