BV Membership RIP / Insurance Cover?

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:30:03 GMT
> daveL <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I've had more problems with pedestrians walking dogs without leads.
>> Completely unpredictable if the owner doesn't control the animal.

> The dogs in the off leash areas I've ridden through seem to have
> reasonable amount of sense. They don't run in front of me, and they
> seem to keep an eye on me if I'm near them.

I find that if a dog knows you're coming (ring the bell, whistle a tune
....) they are usually sensible enough to get out of the way (and
frequently more sensible than their owners). Of course this only applies
to shared paths where I assume the dogs may be playful or stupid but not
openly agressive. Anywhere else I see a dog roaming off a lead I'll give
them no notice in case I need to sneak past or make a quick escape ala
American Flyers.

DaveB

if you collide with a ped, dog or ped-dog and they are at fault you can take_em_downtown.
Recent precedent of woman who hit dog (off lead) and successfully sue owner.

FD

AndrewJ wrote:
> Hey, this thread has prompted me to renew my bv membership. I forgot
> that I wasn't covered for anything I hit. So before I pile into that
> Porsche, time to renew.
>

> flyingdutch wrote:
>
>>DaveB Wrote:
>>
>>>I'm assuming Dutchy will get onto this thread at some stage, so I was
>>>wondering what the deal is with legal representation with BV
>>>membership.
>>>I recall seeing reference to it in other posts. And I'm thinking BV
>>>membership may be worth it for me as a commuter just as a form of
>>>legal
>>>representation insurance.
>>>
>>>DaveB

>>he's a lazy pr1ck, so don't hold your breathe... :rolleyes:
>>
>>TimC can (possibly?) give you first hand (unbiased) experience of
>>that.
>>Basically you have full support of MauriceBlackburnCashman to kick TAC,
>>insurers,etc on your behalf.
>>
>>Moorabbin, hey? anything in particular?
>>
>>Flying"genie"Dutch
>>

>>--
>>flyingdutch

My brother once ran into the back of a parked car causing damage to
himself and his bike. He was riding into the sun near the beach. The
female owner of the car made him pay for damage to the car!

Friday

Friday said:
My brother once ran into the back of a parked car causing damage to
himself and his bike. He was riding into the sun near the beach. The
female owner of the car made him pay for damage to the car!

Friday

you think cyclists should get an exemption when they cause damage to other's property?

DaveB wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:30:03 GMT
>> daveL <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I've had more problems with pedestrians walking dogs without leads.
>>> Completely unpredictable if the owner doesn't control the animal.

>> The dogs in the off leash areas I've ridden through seem to have
>> reasonable amount of sense. They don't run in front of me, and they
>> seem to keep an eye on me if I'm near them.

> I find that if a dog knows you're coming (ring the bell, whistle a tune
> ...) they are usually sensible enough to get out of the way (and
> frequently more sensible than their owners). Of course this only applies
> to shared paths where I assume the dogs may be playful or stupid but not
> openly agressive. Anywhere else I see a dog roaming off a lead I'll give
> them no notice in case I need to sneak past or make a quick escape ala
> American Flyers.
>
> DaveB

Last week myself barreling down the shared path toward a dog (on the
left) and owner (on the right) looking at me dumbly and making no effort
to provide me with either side of the path to continue down. I slowed
down to almost nothing and weaved between them while they both just sort
of stood there and watched me.

To be fair though, it's usually the the exceptions that stand out. The
majority of dog owners I've come across have been polite and mindful of
other path users.

Rowing coaches on the other hand...

--
daveL