Calories burned during a ride

Sammy Shuford

Guest
I would think that most software uses standard date tables or
calculations for determining calorie burn.

My Polar CS200 knows my resting heart rate, and can measure the
duration and intensity of my ride.

Should I trust the Polar's data for calories burned as more accurate?

(Yes I'm tracking calories to get a deficit of 500+ calories a day)

Sammy Shuford wrote:

> (Yes I'm tracking calories to get a deficit of 500+ calories a day)

That would be only 25 km's or so, according to the Polar.

Gr, Derk

Sammy Shuford wrote:

> I would think that most software uses standard date tables or
> calculations for determining calorie burn.
>
> My Polar CS200 knows my resting heart rate, and can measure the
> duration and intensity of my ride.
>
> Should I trust the Polar's data for calories burned as more accurate?
>
> (Yes I'm tracking calories to get a deficit of 500+ calories a day)

My HRM (not Polar) figures calories but whatever algorithm or lookup
table it uses doesn't include heart rate - it'll give me a figure even
when I don't wear my chest strap. Check yours out. The inputs are just
weight, activity, and time.

Absolute calories burned using your Polar are definitely off base,.
However it can be used as a relative indicator.

I wear my polar in the gym on cardio machines that display calories
based on actual work performed and the sex and weight of the person. I
find that the elliptical trainer show about 10 percent more calories
burned than the watch, and the lifecycle has a much greater difference.

"Diablo Scott" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> Sammy Shuford wrote:
>
>> I would think that most software uses standard date tables or
>> calculations for determining calorie burn.
>>
>> My Polar CS200 knows my resting heart rate, and can measure the
>> duration and intensity of my ride.
>>
>> Should I trust the Polar's data for calories burned as more accurate?
>>
>> (Yes I'm tracking calories to get a deficit of 500+ calories a day)
>>

> My HRM (not Polar) figures calories but whatever algorithm or lookup table
> it uses doesn't include heart rate - it'll give me a figure even when I
> don't wear my chest strap. Check yours out. The inputs are just weight,
> activity, and time.

Polar uses HR to calculate calories.

Sammy Shuford says...

> I would think that most software uses standard date tables or
> calculations for determining calorie burn.
>
> My Polar CS200 knows my resting heart rate, and can measure the
> duration and intensity of my ride.
>
> Should I trust the Polar's data for calories burned as more accurate?
>
> (Yes I'm tracking calories to get a deficit of 500+ calories a day)

lbs*(0.5649*2.71828182845904^(0.1222*mph))*min/60

This is a formula I use. Don't remember know how I put it together, but
I've been using it for a couple years. Probably based on a formula I
found on the Net somewhere.

lbs = rider weight
mph = speed
min = ride time in minutes
2.718...= e (the basis of the natural logarithm, an irrational number
like pi)

The formula assumes no wind, flat terrain and a more or less upright
position (tops, hoods, flatbar). Speed is tricky because if you use an
average speed, you may be shortchanging yourself, since only a minute or
two at walking speed can significantly reduce average speed for a ride.
I believe it is reasonably accurate and gives numbers similar to the
following table which has made the rounds for some years now.

The following table appears in the '92 Schwinn ATB catalog which