Calories burned while rowing

[email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

> The sweat mechanism is designed to cool the body like a radiator cools the body.

This is not quite right. Unlike an automobile radiator, which is a simple heat exchanger, the sweat
mechanism relies primarily on water's 540-calorie-per-gram latent heat of vaporization. Were it not
for the cooling caused by evaporation, we could not cool ourselves when the ambient temperature was
greater than body temperature.

PF

> ex. Typically I might do 1000kJ/hr accorinding to my trainer. If efficiency is 25%, and there are
> about 4 kJ in 1 cal. I'm burning 1000 cal/hr.
>
> I could see a rower buring about the same number of calories in an hour, but not say two times
> more, which is why I think the figure above is the approx. total energy used.
>
> -Amit

This would seem to fit: 1:57 for an hour is about 1150 calories according to a Concept 2.

JB.

Andy Coggan wrote:

> I think Harold's sarcasm would have been more obvious if he'd written "831.000000000" Calories.

More so if he had written "831.000000005" STF

In article <[email protected]>, "Phil Holman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, "Phil Holman"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> <[email protected]>,

> > > user
> > > together
> calories

> might

> > > What do you think Harold? Does the machine know your efficiency or
> your
> > > reciprocating mass?
> >
> > It had better after making me program that info into it.
> >
> > --Harold Buck
>
> So what is your efficiency and how did you measure it?

I measured how much work I did and how many calories I burned doing that work, and I
divided. Simple.

-Harold

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

In article <[email protected]>, Stewart Fleming
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Andy Coggan wrote:
>
> > I think Harold's sarcasm would have been more obvious if he'd written "831.000000000" Calories.
>
> More so if he had written "831.000000005" STF

Why? Same number of signifcant figures in each case.

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

W K wrote:

> Ah well, it only ever did work well in one direction. No nagging mechanism to stop you eating too
> much as there is for eating too little. Could you find one person - apart from perhaps Callista
> Flockhard (sp?) - where this doesn't work.

My hungry/full indicators aren't very accurate, so I have to eat before I'm hungry and keep eating
after I'm full. It must be genetic, since siblings have the same "problem".

"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Phil Holman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > In article
<[email protected]>,

> > <[email protected]>,

> > calories

> > might

> > your
> > >
> > > It had better after making me program that info into it.
> > >
> > > --Harold Buck
> >
> > So what is your efficiency and how did you measure it?
>
> I measured how much work I did and how many calories I burned doing
that
> work, and I divided. Simple.

And that completes the circle. Way to go Harold :)

Phil Holman

"Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> W K wrote:
>
> > Ah well, it only ever did work well in one direction. No nagging
mechanism
> > to stop you eating too much as there is for eating too little. Could you find one person - apart
> > from perhaps Callista Flockhard
(sp?) -
> > where this doesn't work.
>
> My hungry/full indicators aren't very accurate, so I have to eat before I'm hungry and keep eating
> after I'm full. It must be genetic, since siblings have the same "problem".

Are you really thin then?

Can I have the patent rights to your genes?

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > My hungry/full indicators aren't very accurate, so I have to eat before I'm hungry and keep
> > eating after I'm full. It must be genetic, since siblings have the same "problem".
>
> Are you really thin then?

5' 11", 135 lbs. Most people would consider that thin. It certainly makes climbing easier.

> Can I have the patent rights to your genes?

:)

"W K" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ernie Trish wrote:
> >
> > > I have a calorie burn question.
> >
> > I've been using a Polar 720 heart monitor, which produces a calorie estimate for each workout. I
> > find it handy, since it gives me an idea of how much to eat that day.
>
> Most people have bodies equipped with hunger mechanisms that calculate how much exercise you've
> done, how many calories are in your food, allowing your body weight to stay pretty much the same
> no matter what you do.

Most people also have bodies equipped with fatigue mecanisms that will tell them when their heart
rate is to high, yet we still find that we need heart rate monitors; these mechanisms simply don't
work to perfection..

--
__o | Øyvind Røtvold _`\(, | http://www.darkside.no/olr/index.html (_)/(_) | ... biciclare
necesse est ...

"Øyvind Røtvold" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "W K" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > I've been using a Polar 720 heart monitor, which produces a calorie estimate for each workout.
> > > I find it handy, since it gives me an idea
of
> > > how much to eat that day.
> >
> > Most people have bodies equipped with hunger mechanisms that calculate
how
> > much exercise you've done, how many calories are in your food, allowing
your
> > body weight to stay pretty much the same no matter what you do.
>
> Most people also have bodies equipped with fatigue mecanisms that will tell them when their heart
> rate is to high, yet we still find that we need heart rate monitors; these mechanisms simply don't
> work to perfection..

"These mechanisms" actually work better than heart rate monitors (read the abstracts for the
upcoming American College of Sports Medicine meeting).

Andy Coggan

In article <[email protected]>, Øyvind_Røtvold <URL:mailto:eek:[email protected]> wrote:
> "W K" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > I've been using a Polar 720 heart monitor, which produces a calorie estimate for each workout.
> > > I find it handy, since it gives me an idea of how much to eat that day.
> >
> > Most people have bodies equipped with hunger mechanisms that calculate how much exercise you've
> > done, how many calories are in your food, allowing your body weight to stay pretty much the same
> > no matter what you
> > do.
>
> Most people also have bodies equipped with fatigue mecanisms that will tell them when their heart
> rate is too high, yet we still find that we need heart rate monitors; these mechanisms simply
> don't work to perfection..

Who is this "we" that "need heart rate monitors"? Having used them for a couple of decades or so
with athletes of various standards, I find them a distraction and relatively useless as a
coaching tool...

Allan Bennett

--

I found that I can guess my LT a whole lot more accurately than I can lower levels. Heart rate
monitors aren't necessary for those hard days though it can give information on whether you are

news:Q%[email protected]...
> "Øyvind Røtvold" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "W K" <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > > "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> of
> > >
> > > Most people have bodies equipped with hunger mechanisms that
calculate
> how
> > > much exercise you've done, how many calories are in your food,
allowing
> your
> > > body weight to stay pretty much the same no matter what you do.
> >
> > Most people also have bodies equipped with fatigue mecanisms that
will
> > tell them when their heart rate is to high, yet we still find that
we
> > need heart rate monitors; these mechanisms simply don't work to perfection..
>
> "These mechanisms" actually work better than heart rate monitors
(read the
> abstracts for the upcoming American College of Sports Medicine
meeting).

> Andy Coggan

"Allan Bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Who is this "we" that "need heart rate monitors"? Having used them
for a
> couple of decades or so with athletes of various standards, I find
them a
> distraction and relatively useless as a coaching tool...

I agree with this on the proviso that they are necessary to develop the "feel" for the right
training levels. After you know how to train you don't need heart rate monitors and you should also
drop bike computers as well. That is also a distraction that leads to you trying to go too hard on
easy days.

Andy Coggan wrote:
> "Øyvind Røtvold" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>>Most people also have bodies equipped with fatigue mecanisms that will tell them when their heart
>>rate is to high, yet we still find that we need heart rate monitors; these mechanisms simply don't
>>work to perfection..
>

> "These mechanisms" actually work better than heart rate monitors (read the abstracts for the
> upcoming American College of Sports Medicine meeting).
>
> Andy Coggan

During a very difficult interval session last Wednesday, I felt a new pressure/pain in my chest. It
went away after I immediately backed off on the effort.

Is this the kind of mechanism you have in mind or was there another that I should have listened to
first? (I apologize if this is over the line of asking for medical advice on the net.)

Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "Let me tell you what else I'm worried about. I'm
worried about an opponent who uses nation building and the military in the same sentence. See, our
view of the military is for the military to be properly prepared to fight and win war and therefore,
prevent war from happening in the first place." George Bush, Nov. 6, 2000

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Andy Coggan wrote:
> > "Øyvind Røtvold" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >>Most people also have bodies equipped with fatigue mecanisms that will tell them when their
> >>heart rate is to high, yet we still find that we need heart rate monitors; these mechanisms
> >>simply don't work to perfection..
> >

> > "These mechanisms" actually work better than heart rate monitors (read
the
> > abstracts for the upcoming American College of Sports Medicine meeting).
> >
> > Andy Coggan
>
> During a very difficult interval session last Wednesday, I felt a new pressure/pain in my chest.
> It went away after I immediately backed off on the effort.
>
> Is this the kind of mechanism you have in mind or was there another that I should have listened to
> first? (I apologize if this is over the line of asking for medical advice on the net.)

Not the kind of mechanism I had in mind, and definitely not normal - you should follow up with a
cardiologist.

Andy Coggan

Andy Coggan wrote:
> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Andy Coggan wrote:
>>
>>>"These mechanisms" actually work better than heart rate monitors (read
>>
> the
>
>>>abstracts for the upcoming American College of Sports Medicine meeting).
>>>
>>>Andy Coggan
>>
>>During a very difficult interval session last Wednesday, I felt a new pressure/pain in my chest.
>>It went away after I immediately backed off on the effort.
>>
>>Is this the kind of mechanism you have in mind or was there another that I should have listened to
>>first? (I apologize if this is over the line of asking for medical advice on the net.)
>

> Not the kind of mechanism I had in mind, and definitely not normal - you should follow up with a
> cardiologist.
>
> Andy Coggan

If I had insurance, I would. As it is, a web search indicates that the pain I felt was not all that
unusual. I believe (hope) that I did nothing more than temporarily fail to meet my heart's oxygen
needs. It was a REAL hard session, and I was pushing my hardest at the time.

Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "Let me tell you what else I'm worried about. I'm
worried about an opponent who uses nation building and the military in the same sentence. See, our
view of the military is for the military to be properly prepared to fight and win war and therefore,
prevent war from happening in the first place." George Bush, Nov. 6, 2000

> If I had insurance, I would. As it is, a web search indicates that the pain I felt was not all
> that unusual. I believe (hope) that I did nothing more than temporarily fail to meet my heart's
> oxygen needs. It was a REAL hard session, and I was pushing my hardest at the time.

Probably worth at least getting the old cholesterol checked. It *might* make you reasses what you
can / can't afford :)

Alex.

--
Reply to:[email protected] cutting out the usual...

For all your UT2003 questions, visit the official UT2003 newsgroup FAQ at:
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq.php

In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

> If I had insurance, I would. As it is, a web search indicates that the pain I felt was not all
> that unusual. I believe (hope) that I did nothing more than temporarily fail to meet my heart's
> oxygen needs. It was a REAL hard session, and I was pushing my hardest at the time.

Mark Twain said, "Be careful about reading health books. You could die of a misprint."

The same goes a hundredfold for the internet.

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

{AGUT2}=IWIK= wrote:
>> If I had insurance, I would. As it is, a web search indicates that the pain I felt was not all
>> that unusual. I believe (hope) that I did nothing more than temporarily fail to meet my heart's
>> oxygen needs. It was a REAL hard session, and I was pushing my hardest at the time.
>

> Probably worth at least getting the old cholesterol checked. It *might* make you reasses what you
> can / can't afford :)
>
> Alex.

Last I checked, a few years ago, it was just shy of "high." If I drop off the net completely in the
near future, at least you all know why now. :)

I feel pretty safe. I don't know if I've EVER worked my body/heart as hard as I did last week
when this happened. I don't need to be pushing my max that much, having achieved an acceptable
level of fitness.

But perhaps I'll go to the local sports science academy and have a maximal heart rate test done.
That's pretty cheap.