Calories burned while rowing

Harold Buck wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>If I had insurance, I would. As it is, a web search indicates that the pain I felt was not all
>>that unusual. I believe (hope) that I did nothing more than temporarily fail to meet my heart's
>>oxygen needs. It was a REAL hard session, and I was pushing my hardest at the time.
>>

> Mark Twain said, "Be careful about reading health books. You could die of a misprint."
>
> The same goes a hundredfold for the internet.
>
> --Harold Buck

I'll have to re-read some of them, but they looked like reputable sources. I know I'm not
supposed to be doing my own diagnosing from reading stuff, but there are choices one must make in
this job market.

Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "Let me tell you what else I'm worried about. I'm
worried about an opponent who uses nation building and the military in the same sentence. See, our
view of the military is for the military to be properly prepared to fight and win war and therefore,
prevent war from happening in the first place." George Bush, Nov. 6, 2000

Allan Bennett <[email protected]> writes:

> In article <[email protected]>, Øyvind_Røtvold <URL:mailto:eek:[email protected]> wrote:
> > "W K" <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > > "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Most people have bodies equipped with hunger mechanisms that calculate how much exercise
> > > you've done, how many calories are in your food, allowing your body weight to stay pretty much
> > > the same no matter what you
> > > do.
> >
> > Most people also have bodies equipped with fatigue mecanisms that will tell them when their
> > heart rate is too high, yet we still find that we need heart rate monitors; these mechanisms
> > simply don't work to perfection..
>
> Who is this "we" that "need heart rate monitors"?

It is me, some of the cyclists I know who use them, some of the non-cyclist that I know who don't
use them, most of the pros, but obviously not you - I think that all of us can live and ride happily
with this situation.

> Having used them for a couple of decades or so with athletes of various standards, I find them a
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You must be very patient.

--
__o | Øyvind Røtvold _`\(, | http://www.darkside.no/olr/index.html (_)/(_) | ... biciclare
necesse est ...

Charts that purport to show the calories expended during certain exercises are worthless to an
individual. We are all different in size, intensity of effort and efficiency. Some competitive
runners might use only half the calories to cover the same distance at the same speed as a
recreational plodder of the same weight might need to use. But, I have both run and rowed at high
levels and rowing is much more consumptive of energy for me. However, this might be reversed for
someone that had differences in body type and athletic aptitude.

Steve McDonald

#1. Why do you need to know this so badly? Seems like a bunch of nonsense to
me.

#2. I would think the sweat part would be already figured into the first
equation, afterall sweating is part of the workout so it makes sense they'd include sweat equity in
the formula.

Bill R.

OO

It appears from your post, that you only have one oar in the water.....remember to multiply your
formula by 2.

Rowing would tend to take more energy since more muscle mass is involved. Rowing and XC skiing tend
to be among the most energy intensive since they use large amounts of muscle.

news:[email protected]...