Campy 8 speed Carbon Ergopower Titanium shifters

E Goforth

Guest
Hello,

I'm pretty sure I've got a broken g-spring, the rear derailleur shifts
under load, and I'm trying to disassemble the right hand shifter, it's a
Campy Record 8 speed Ti shifter (pointy style). The bolt that holds the
mechanism doesn't seem to want to budge.

I've done this many times before on my slightly older Campy Chorus
Ergopower shifters, and I was pretty sure this bolt was left hand thread
(the right hand shifter). I remember that one side definately was.

Did they change the threading on the later pointy style shifters, were
the Record ones threaded differently, or do I just need to try harder?

-Eric

E Goforth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty sure I've got a broken g-spring, the rear derailleur shifts
> under load, and I'm trying to disassemble the right hand shifter, it's a
> Campy Record 8 speed Ti shifter (pointy style). The bolt that holds the
> mechanism doesn't seem to want to budge.

LEFT threaded-comes off clockwise-4mm allen wrench? Then righty loosey-

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> E Goforth wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I've got a broken g-spring, the rear derailleur shifts
>> under load, and I'm trying to disassemble the right hand shifter, it's a
>> Campy Record 8 speed Ti shifter (pointy style). The bolt that holds the
>> mechanism doesn't seem to want to budge.

> LEFT threaded-comes off clockwise-4mm allen wrench? Then righty loosey-
>> I've done this many times before on my slightly older Campy Chorus
>> Ergopower shifters, and I was pretty sure this bolt was left hand thread
>> (the right hand shifter). I remember that one side definately was.
>>
>> Did they change the threading on the later pointy style shifters, were
>> the Record ones threaded differently, or do I just need to try harder?
>>
>> -Eric

Good, I was doing it correctly. I just gave it a really hard turn and
it budged, boy was it tight.

-Eric

Here's where I found which way to turn those things...

http://www.campyonly.com/howto/ergotech.html

"E Goforth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty sure I've got a broken g-spring, the rear derailleur shifts
> under load, and I'm trying to disassemble the right hand shifter, it's a
> Campy Record 8 speed Ti shifter (pointy style). The bolt that holds the
> mechanism doesn't seem to want to budge.
>
> I've done this many times before on my slightly older Campy Chorus
> Ergopower shifters, and I was pretty sure this bolt was left hand thread
> (the right hand shifter). I remember that one side definately was.
>
> Did they change the threading on the later pointy style shifters, were the
> Record ones threaded differently, or do I just need to try harder?
>
> -Eric

>> the rear derailleur shifts under load<<

that must have been a blast to discover. another one of my favorites
to find on a long ride is a loose cassette...woo hoo...now thos are
real treasures!

E Goforth wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I've got a broken g-spring, the rear derailleur shifts
> under load, and I'm trying to disassemble the right hand shifter, it's a
> Campy Record 8 speed Ti shifter (pointy style). The bolt that holds the
> mechanism doesn't seem to want to budge.
>
> I've done this many times before on my slightly older Campy Chorus
> Ergopower shifters, and I was pretty sure this bolt was left hand thread
> (the right hand shifter). I remember that one side definately was.
>
> Did they change the threading on the later pointy style shifters, were
> the Record ones threaded differently, or do I just need to try harder?

Chrome bolts are RH; black bolts are LH

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

E Goforth wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > E Goforth wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm pretty sure I've got a broken g-spring, the rear derailleur shifts
> >> under load, and I'm trying to disassemble the right hand shifter, it's a
> >> Campy Record 8 speed Ti shifter (pointy style). The bolt that holds the
> >> mechanism doesn't seem to want to budge.

> > LEFT threaded-comes off clockwise-4mm allen wrench? Then righty loosey-
> >> I've done this many times before on my slightly older Campy Chorus
> >> Ergopower shifters, and I was pretty sure this bolt was left hand thread
> >> (the right hand shifter). I remember that one side definately was.
> >>
> >> Did they change the threading on the later pointy style shifters, were
> >> the Record ones threaded differently, or do I just need to try harder?
> >>
> >> -Eric

> Good, I was doing it correctly. I just gave it a really hard turn and
> it budged, boy was it tight.
>
> -Eric

Grease, all threads get some...