campy 9spd to 10spd ergo lever conversion

charming

Mar 27, 2005
I have a veloce ten speed rear changer and have just bought a wheel with a ten speed cassette - is there a way that I can convert my 9sp xenon ergo levers to suit or will I have to replace them with a 10sp?

charming said:
I have a veloce ten speed rear changer and have just bought a wheel with a ten speed cassette - is there a way that I can convert my 9sp xenon ergo levers to suit or will I have to replace them with a 10sp?
I imagine you would have to change your levers aswell. Ive curently got xeno all round and cant see the levers handling ten cogs. On another note if your selling your xenon off im interested in rear hub/casette and or front mech.:cool:
cheers
Mick

charming said:
Check with www.branfordbike.com If parts to change over are available,they have them.

trek-man said:
I imagine you would have to change your levers aswell. Ive curently got xeno all round and cant see the levers handling ten cogs. On another note if your selling your xenon off im interested in rear hub/casette and or front mech.:cool:
cheers
Mick
Thanks Mick, I was asking if there was way of replacing/changing the internal drum/barrel in the changer or similar to shorten the increment although I suspect it's not commercially a good idea for campag to allow interchange of parts.

Sorry but I'm moving my levers over to a tourer/mule I'm building. Check out the cycling boot fairs - I saw two pairs yesterday at Herne Hill for £15 - one pair was good and the other for spares.
cheers
Richard

As posted heres the link

http://www.campyonly.com/howto/cam_change.html

Upgrade Your Ergo Levers!
Need More Info? Go to Branford Bike's web site for a complete listing of parts and prices to convert your bike.

Read our detailed instructions on rebuilding your Ergo levers--when you re-insert the cam, use the updated part.

Branford Bike is a sponsor of Campy Only.

Campy now makes several different cams that allow riders to convert from 8 to 9 speed, 9 to 10 speed and from 8,9 or 10 speed to the new 2001 9 speed standard. The cams will fit all Ergo levers from 1992 to 2001. The only cam they do not make yet is a 10 speed one that will fit 8 speed levers from 1992 to 1997. Maybe next year.

Tim Brockett of Branford Bike reports, "I have converted almost 200 Ergo levers in the last 18 months. Last week I converted a pair of 1992 Ergo levers to 2001 9 speed. Then I took a set of 1999 Athena levers and converted them to 10 speed." Remember the bit of misinformation from Campy that said that only some 1999 levers could be converted? I have not found a shred of evidence to support that. In Campy's own literature, their spare parts manual, 1999 and 2000 Record 9 speed Ergo lever Carbon hoods share the exact same part number. The 10 speed carbon hood has a different part number but only differs in that it has "10 Speed" instead of "9 Speed" printed on it. Everything else is the same.

It is complicated but quite interesting what Campy finally did. They made it possible for everyone with a Campy 8 speed Ergo lever to bypass the older 9 speed and go directly to the newer 9 speed. They also made it possible for anyone with a 1999/2000/2001 Ergo lever to choose from all 4 available shifting options: new 9 speed, old 9 speed, 8 speed and 10 speed.

The only option not available is to go from 1992-1997 8 speed to 10 speed--That requires a new lever. Try doing anything remotely similar with Shimano!

Branford Bike suggests replacing the "G" springs whenever a cam is changed. At 10,000 miles we recommend replacing both "G" springs and the Thumb Button Spring for the right hand shift lever.

Branford Bike also has two Campy manuals to give riders step by step instructions: MA-80-76 covers 1992 to 1997. MA-80-76A covers 1998 to present Ergo levers. They are $4.88 each.

Finally if riders do not want to do the repair/upgrade themselves Branford can do it for them. The cost of labor is $30.00, parts are usually $45.00 for an Ergo cam and 3 springs.

charming said:

Xenon levers may not be changeable to 10s. If you look at the exploded parts diagrams on campagnolo.com website, the ratchet mechanisms look different between mirage/xenon and the veloce and higher. It looks to me like veloce/centaur and chorus/record use parts that are interchangeable but the the lower-end groups use a slightly different set-up.