Campy CT Crankset question

PeterF

Sep 13, 2004
Hello,

Yesterday I purchase a campy Record compact crank question with a 50/36t combo (older square taper bb model. It's being shipped to me). I like the idea of the 36t since I find it more suitable for my local terrain, but would like the 34t ring as well for trips to the mountains and the 2010 Tour of Flanders citizen ride that I'm signed up for in April (I'm probably walking the Koppenberg and Paterberg, but would like to make it up the Muur and the rest of the climbs). My questions. 1) Is there a diffence in the 50t ring for the 36t and the 34t combos and if so, is it very noticeable. And 2) I have a square taper Centaur CT crankset, and would I be able to use that 34t ring with a Record crank? The Centaur cranks uses a 5-bolt spider while the the Record is 4-bolt spider and 1 bolt int he crank arm. 3) I don't have a CT front derailleur, but do I really need one with a 36t small ring.

PeterF said:
Hello,

Yesterday I purchase a campy Record compact crank question with a 50/36t combo (older square taper bb model. It's being shipped to me). I like the idea of the 36t since I find it more suitable for my local terrain, but would like the 34t ring as well for trips to the mountains and the 2010 Tour of Flanders citizen ride that I'm signed up for in April (I'm probably walking the Koppenberg and Paterberg, but would like to make it up the Muur and the rest of the climbs). My questions. 1) Is there a diffence in the 50t ring for the 36t and the 34t combos and if so, is it very noticeable. And 2) I have a square taper Centaur CT crankset, and would I be able to use that 34t ring with a Record crank? The Centaur cranks uses a 5-bolt spider while the the Record is 4-bolt spider and 1 bolt int he crank arm. 3) I don't have a CT front derailleur, but do I really need one with a 36t small ring.

1) Not really. Altho Campagnolo 'matches' big rings to small, you can in reality use anything with anything.

2) Carbon CT of all Campagnolo types have hidden spider arms and so the bolt circle diameter is the strange 110/112(for the hidden arm). Aluminum CT Centaur did not and use a standard 110mm bolt circle all around. So, no, you cannot use the Centaur on the Record w/o elongating one of the chainring bolt holes.

3)Nope, don't even need one for a 34t. Answer to a not asked question. Compact was around way before 'compact front derailleurs'. FD cpacity is 15t. One tooth more won't make any difference.

Peter@vecchios said:
1) Not really. Altho Campagnolo 'matches' big rings to small, you can in reality use anything with anything.

2) Carbon CT of all Campagnolo types have hidden spider arms and so the bolt circle diameter is the strange 110/112(for the hidden arm). Aluminum CT Centaur did not and use a standard 110mm bolt circle all around. So, no, you cannot use the Centaur on the Record w/o elongating one of the chainring bolt holes.

3)Nope, don't even need one for a 34t. Answer to a not asked question. Compact was around way before 'compact front derailleurs'. FD cpacity is 15t. One tooth more won't make any difference.

Thanks Peter. I was hoping you would answer the way you did on 1 and 3 and sort of expected your answer on 2. At least the money you saved me on the front d, I can put toward the 34t ring. I really like the alloy front derailleur that I have over the carbon caged model, so I will just lower it a bit and use it with the compact.