Campy Eurus wheels

Chuck731 said:
What do you think of the Campy Eurus wheels? The non-carbon variety.
I just got a set and only have put about 300 miles on them. Early impression is that they are very fast on descents, they feel nimble on climbs and they are comfy. I haven't put them to the test in a crit yet (but will in the spring), but I'm sure they will corner well too. Very nice wheels.

I got a set from ebay that was test ridden only. The bearings were a little tight when I first got them. Now after 1050 miles they spin a little free'er but my Ksyrium SLs seem more frictionless in the hubs. They are still true though. I ended up in last place in a criterium I used them for - I guess it's me that's slow. They look nice. I was thinking about replacing them with Zipp 404 clincher but I figured that they would be more durable and cheaper to replace instead of the Zipp 404.

I have R540, HED 3, Ksyrium SL, and Eurus wheels.

Chuck731 said:
Excellent wheels. But one note though about the Eurus and the rest of campy wheels having owned a couple... they are a bit too big? making tire replacement an effort.

Chuck731 said:
I love my set of Eurus wheels I have 4000 miles on them this year and they are still true and very very fast... Great everyday wheel that can also be raced...

Chuck731 said:

Haven't had any problems with mine, after about 1800km of racing. They feel fast and are plenty strong - I've bunged them into a few potholes during races, without any ill effects.

hd reynolds said:
Excellent wheels. But one note though about the Eurus and the rest of campy wheels having owned a couple... they are a bit too big? making tire replacement an effort.

I have heard this about Campy wheels as well. I have a set of Proton's as well as Eurus' and my Hutchinson Fusion Comp (23mm) tires seem to go on without much effort.

PeterF said:
I have heard this about Campy wheels as well. I have a set of Proton's as well as Eurus' and my Hutchinson Fusion Comp (23mm) tires seem to go on without much effort.
I must say I am totally sold on Campy wheels. My Protons are going on their 4th season and i've only had to true the front one once. I actually didn't true them... I noticed it was a little wonkey at the start of a club ride... but after 4 hrs, we got back and the woble has mysteriously straightened itself out. :confused: is there such a thing as a self truing wheel???

I think I'm one of the few guys that rides Campagnolo wheels with Shimano drivetrain. Yes, my Protons came with a shimano cassette body and I'm running 9-speed Ultegra.

I'm due for a new bike next season... not sure what I'm getting yet, but I will likely spend the extra few dollars for a Campy wheelset. My take on the Eurus is that it's your do it all wheelset for the racer on a budget. They're stiff and fairly lightweight... good for climbing, cornering and even the odd TT.

I've had the original Eurus for about 3 years now. Used them exclusively for a year, then starting accumulating 10s racing wheels. I weighed 165-190lbs during that time. I am meticulous about tire pressure. I'm reasonably good about bunnyhopping potholes and stuff but hit one this year (3rd year) at 45+mph while drafting a truck. Double flat (almost 1 cm long cuts!) and had to ride the flats 35 mins to get back. no problems other than cosmetic scratches on the rim from the ride back.

I have NEVER trued the wheels. As I normally fiddle with my own wheels, that is very unusual. The rear is off laterally for a max of about 2mm for about 10-15 cm. Since the spoke tension is even, I never bothered to true it. The wheel went out of true in my first year of ownership when I crashed in a race.

I've also flown with the wheels 3 times in a soft bag (i.e. the wheels surround the frame and act as bumpers). They tossed my bag a few times that I saw.

The included Campy wheel bags are nice for transportation. And the skewers are my favorite - easy to use, reliable.

I also have Ventos (low buck Campy wheels), Reynolds Carbon tubulars, Specialized (now HED) Trispokes, Spinnergy RevX and SPOX, and I've either owned/built/extensively-ridden original Ventos (AL rim), Mavic Cosmic Carbons Helium non-carbon Cosmics, Zipp 330s 440s, various 24-36H clinchers and tubulars, etc. The Eurus are my favorite overall wheel.

They are reasonably light and extremely reliable. I recommend them highly.