Campy or Shimano Converts

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I bought a bike with Shimano STI for racing in '92. It was nice, but I didn't really like how the
> STI levers worked- I didn't like having the brake lever move. I switched to Campy because I
> preferred the way the shifting is set up. I've had two iteration of Campy ergo and find the latest
> levers the most comfortable I have ever ridden in 30+ years.
>
> IMHO the main reason to choose between Campy and Shimano is which brifter you prefer.

Agree, this is probably the best way to choose between the two. However, I would like to add that I
really like the quietness of Shimano hubs, nothing is quieter when coasting. Having said that, I
combined the best of both worlds and use Campy 9 ergo levers and Campy 9 rear der with shimano 9
hubs/cassette and shimano 9 chain with sach/sram powerlink....

r mcclary-<< First, the "carbon shifters", if you're talking about the Ergo controls, are not
readily apparent, and I believe Chorus has them as well. << The black lever is nothing but fake
carbon fiber tape over aluminum. (The bodies ARE carbon fiber, as is the pretty outer plate of the
R.derail.)

Actually the shifter lever of Record is really similar to the Mirage one(plastic, over a aluminum
stub, not an entire shift lever), and the brake lever is carbon...all the way thru.

"H. van Beek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... -snip-
> You can make the Record hoods more broad (larger platform) by putting a piece of steerlint (kurk)
> in lengthdirection (parallel with the steer) at both sites of the tube, under the rubber of the
> hood. After that put the steerlint back again, and it is getting more confortable.
-snip-

Dictionary.com shows no entry for "steerlint" nor for "kurk". Could you describe it?

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> ...it will get worse for shimano if shimano ever enforces OEM resale...

Let's hope not. That is assuming what you say is true in the first place.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> lifting leg-<< it will get worse for shimano if shimano ever enforces OEM
> > resale...
>
> Let's hope not. That is assuming what you say is true in the first place.
>

> Altho I would have loved to come up with the idea of fair pricing, I did not. shimano did as
> reported by BRAIN and as was talked about at Interbike 2002...

You always comment about this but are always very short on the details. If there is price
discrimination between Shimano, your distributers, and OEMs, then rat out the actual data. If this
is simply a matter of volume pricing that in the end amounts to more efficient distribution (that
cuts you out of the supply chain presumably), then you don't have a complaint. So call out the
actual laws regarding any price discrimination and detail how Shimano is breaking the law. What you
say is too vague -- if you want anyone to take you seriously, line out the laws and what is
explicitly being done and why it is unlawful.

I wrote a few weeks ago that I was finally going to abandon my clips and straps for clipless; well I
did. A friend gave me some new, but VERY heavy, SPD pedals to try, so I put them on last weekend.
Prior to trying these pedals I was trying to decide between SPD or Look.

I had heard that one of the pros of Look was their ease of operation. I for one do not see a need
for anything easier then the SPDs. After installing the pedals, it took me 1-2 seconds (literally)
to clip into them, and after only 3 short rides since, I feel completely confident with them.

I do plan on upgrading to a higher quality i.e. MUCH lighter, pedal soon. I was wondering what are
the differences between the Look system and SPDs? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks for the help, Michael

The Pomeranian <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> You always comment about this but are always very short on the details. If there is price
> discrimination between Shimano, your distributers, and OEMs, then rat out the actual data. If this
> is simply a matter of volume pricing that in the end amounts to more efficient distribution (that
> cuts you out of the supply chain presumably), then you don't have a complaint.

Here's a corroborating account:

http://bethelcycle.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=51

Not rigorously documented, and I don't detect anything *unlawful*, but I'm willing to believe that
there's a problem.

"Tom D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here's a corroborating account:
>
> http://bethelcycle.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=51
>
> Not rigorously documented, and I don't detect anything *unlawful*, but I'm willing to believe that
> there's a problem.

My new 2003 Shimano invoices from one supplier have this admonishment:

Shimano products may only be sold on the internet or by mail order by "Shimano Authorized Internet
and Mail Order Resellers"

Anyone know what the heck _that's_ all about?

i just found look's more comfortable than spd (not tried spd-r's), think it was down to the larger
cleat. my advice is to go for the looks.

panda

"Michael James Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> I wrote a few weeks ago that I was finally going to abandon my clips and straps for clipless; well
> I did. A friend gave me some new, but VERY heavy, SPD pedals to try, so I put them on last
> weekend. Prior to trying these pedals I was trying to decide between SPD or Look.
>
> I had heard that one of the pros of Look was their ease of operation. I for one do not see a need
> for anything easier then the SPDs. After installing the pedals, it took me 1-2 seconds (literally)
> to clip into them, and after only 3 short rides since, I feel completely confident with them.
>
> I do plan on upgrading to a higher quality i.e. MUCH lighter, pedal soon. I was wondering what are
> the differences between the Look system and SPDs? What are the pros and cons?
>
> Thanks for the help, Michael

In article <[email protected]>, Michael James Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I wrote a few weeks ago that I was finally going to abandon my clips and straps for clipless; well
> I did. A friend gave me some new, but VERY heavy, SPD pedals to try, so I put them on last
> weekend. Prior to trying these pedals I was trying to decide between SPD or Look.
>
> I had heard that one of the pros of Look was their ease of operation. I for one do not see a need
> for anything easier then the SPDs. After installing the pedals, it took me 1-2 seconds (literally)
> to clip into them, and after only 3 short rides since, I feel completely confident with them.
>
> I do plan on upgrading to a higher quality i.e. MUCH lighter, pedal soon. I was wondering what are
> the differences between the Look system and SPDs? What are the pros and cons?

Do you want to walk around when you are off your bike or not? This is the main deciding point. Looks
have a larger platform, but off the bike, you get to skate around on the large, raised plastic
cleat. SPDs, with their off-road heritage, are walkable and more dirt-worthy.

If you're serious about high-quality pedals, and you're just getting into clip-ins, and you prefer
walkability like the SPDs, you might consider the Egg Beaters. These things are getting nothing but
love from everyone who uses them, and they're very light and simple.

A humble SPD-using commuter,

[email protected] says...

>I do plan on upgrading to a higher quality i.e. MUCH lighter, pedal soon. I was wondering what are
>the differences between the Look system and SPDs? What are the pros and cons?

Most spd shoes have the cleat recessed, so it is easier to walk in those shoes than in look shoes
where the cleat is not recessed. The steel SPD cleat last longer than the plastic look cleat. Most
spd pedals are double sided, so it is easher to catch the pedal in the right position when you are
stepping in.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

I've been riding SPD's from the beginning, both road and mountain. They work fine, and some of the
pedals available are lighter than Look pedals. I myself have a pair of double-sided MTB pedals on my
road bike, and they work fine. These Ritchey's look nice, and are very light: http://www.nashbar.co-
m/profile.cfm?category=108&subcategory=1123&brand=&sku=7758&storetype=&estoreid= However, upon
trying some Looks borrowed from a friend, I find they do have a different feel, with larger
platform. However, they give me the willies worrying I'll pull out when sprinting/climbing. Also,
not all road shoes are equipped for the differently-attached SPD pedal. If you're willing to take
what you can get for SPD (not too shabby) then I think you'll be happy keeping the SPD's. I am Matt

On 25 Jan 2003 19:14:00 -0800, bfd wrote:

>Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...

>> IMHO the main reason to choose between Campy and Shimano is which brifter you prefer.
>
>Agree, this is probably the best way to choose between the two. However, I would like to add that I
>really like the quietness of Shimano hubs, nothing is quieter when coasting. Having said that, I
>combined the best of both worlds and use Campy 9 ergo levers and Campy 9 rear der with shimano 9
>hubs/cassette and shimano 9 chain with sach/sram powerlink....

I'm thinking of doing the same. Did you change the spacers in the shimano 9 hub or use it as is?
Does it shift as well as a straight Shimano or straight Campag setup? Thanks, John Gordon

> If you're serious about high-quality pedals, and you're just getting into clip-ins, and you prefer
> walkability like the SPDs, you might consider the Egg Beaters. These things are getting nothing
> but love from everyone who uses them, and they're very light and simple.

I second the recommendation for the Crank Brothers Eggbeaters, I have them on my MTB/commute bike as
well as my Colnago road bike and I just love them. You need a good stiff (i.e. carbon sole) shoe as
the platform is smaller than the Looks. I use a pair of Carnac offroad racing shoes which are
basically like a good road shoe with a chunky sole on it. Feels like a good road shoe when you are
riding, and you don't risk slipping over in the cafe at the end of the ride.

The pedals are very light (particularly the titanium models) and the clip in/release is great.
Thoroughly recommended.

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:09:49 -0800, Michael James Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

>I wrote a few weeks ago that I was finally going to abandon my clips and straps for clipless; well
>I did. A friend gave me some new, but VERY heavy, SPD pedals to try, so I put them on last weekend.
>Prior to trying these pedals I was trying to decide between SPD or Look.
>
>I had heard that one of the pros of Look was their ease of operation. I for one do not see a need
>for anything easier then the SPDs. After installing the pedals, it took me 1-2 seconds (literally)
>to clip into them, and after only 3 short rides since, I feel completely confident with them.
>
>I do plan on upgrading to a higher quality i.e. MUCH lighter, pedal soon. I was wondering what are
>the differences between the Look system and SPDs? What are the pros and cons?

I ride with Looks on my racing bikes and SPDs on my touring and mountain bikes, so hopefully my
input is unbiased.

If you've found the SPD to be easy to clip into, then going to Looks will be a no-brainer. They're
MUCH easier to clip into. I've found unclipping from SPDs easier than Looks, but not by much.

Walking around in SPD equipped shoes is generally much easier because of the recessed cleats. Look
equipped foot gear is awkward to walk around in, and sometimes quite slippery. I've been asked by at
least one snack shop not to enter their store because of liability concerns. They let me in when I
showed them my Kool Kovers. Bottom line, if you anticipate doing much walking between stints on the
bike, I'd recommend SPDs.

If you're concerned about weight, the combination of Look pedals, cleats, and a good pair of road
shoes (mine are Sidi Energy) will probably be lighter than a corresponding SPD setup.

Bottom line, once I'm clipped in and pedalling I'd be hard pressed to notice any difference.

> More than one cog per shift on the back; less than one ring per click on the front.

I hate to bore you with the truth, but (as has been stated here many times in the past), all Shimano
STI from Tiagra up to Dura-Ace has :

- the ability to shift down (bigger sprockets) at the back up to three steps in a single sweep
of the lever. My Dura-Ace actually does up to 4 if you push it a bit (but this may not
intended by Shimano).

- two trim positions (which is all you need with Shimano's cranksets) on the small and middle rings
of triples. Dura-Ace also has trim on the big ring (but it isn't necessary on my bike).

The only thing "missing" from STI is the ability to shift up (smaller sprockets) at the back
multiple steps with one press, but the action of the STI upshift lever is so short and positive that
you can shift three or four cogs in under a second, if you really want to. I really don't find this
an issue - when I double shift (front and back at the same time) I only need two clicks on the right
and one on the left.

The people who grumble about Shimano's "lack of front trim" are usually using non-Shimano cranks and
rings (Shimano gives us little or no choice of rings; some folks don't agree with Shimano's idea of
what we should all be riding). If you are content to use what Shimano provides, front trim just
isn't an issue. This is another one of those trade-offs - personally (having tried it both ways) I
prefer to live with Shimano stock gearing and get great shifting and minimal trimming; others are
happy with gears that require a little more finesse to shift and more frequent trimming.

> I've been asked by at least one snack shop not to enter their store because of liability concerns.
> They let me in when I showed them my Kool Kovers. Bottom line, if you anticipate doing much
> walking between stints on the bike, I'd recommend SPDs.

I am one who fanatically takes care of anything and everything I own. Although I walk very little in
bike shoes, those Kool Covers seem like a great idea.

> If you're concerned about weight, the combination of Look pedals, cleats, and a good pair of road
> shoes (mine are Sidi Energy) will probably be lighter than a corresponding SPD setup.

Speaking of weight, it seems that Look makes models that are far lighter then the SPD models.