campy veloce triple fder problems

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by George, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. George

    George Guest

    I'm building up a bike with a full campy veloce triple group, but having problems setting up the
    fder; it won't swing out far enough to shift to the big ring, even with the limit screws all the way
    out. I've tried taking the cable off and moving the fder by hand so I know it's not a cable tension
    issue. If I move the chain onto the big ring by hand it rubs slightly on the resin insert in the
    highest gears.

    Any ideas what the problem may be? I bought the groupset mail order and it all came in unmarked
    bags, is it possible I've been given a double fder instead? The fder is marked centaur which is
    right for the veloce triple group, but I know the shop already messed up by giving me the wrong
    length BB so anything's possible! Would a double fder give me these problems? The only identifiying
    marks I can see on the fder are an 'A3' stamped on the back of the clamp body, and '7 28.6 A' on the
    inside of the clamp. (it's a 28.6mm dia clamp on obviously). Any idea how to tell the difference
    between a double and triple centaur fder?

    Otherwise, any other ideas what could be causing this problem?

    Many thanks,

    George

    Tags:

  2. gwallis-<< it won't swing out far enough to shift to the big ring, even with the limit screws all
    the way out.

    << The fder is marked centaur which is right for the veloce triple group,

    << onto the big ring by hand it rubs slightly on the resin insert in the highest gears.

    If it has the insert it is indeed a double front der...OBTW-Campagnolo makes a Veloce triple
    front der.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm building up a bike with a full campy veloce triple group, but having problems setting up the
    > fder; it won't swing out far enough to shift to the big ring, even with the limit screws all the
    > way out. I've tried taking the cable off and moving the fder by hand so I know it's not a cable
    > tension issue. If I move the chain onto the big ring by hand it rubs slightly on the resin insert
    > in the highest gears.
    >
    > Any ideas what the problem may be? I bought the groupset mail order and it all came in unmarked
    > bags, is it possible I've been given a double fder instead? The fder is marked centaur which is
    > right for the veloce triple group, but I know the shop already messed up by giving me the wrong
    > length BB so anything's possible! Would a double fder give me these problems? The only
    > identifiying marks I can see on the fder are an 'A3' stamped on the back of the clamp body, and '7
    > 28.6 A' on the inside of the clamp. (it's a 28.6mm dia clamp on obviously). Any idea how to tell
    > the difference between a double and triple centaur fder?
    >
    > Otherwise, any other ideas what could be causing this problem?

    The difference between a double and a triple isn't the range of lateral movement - that's nearly
    identical. The difference is in the height of the cage. A double changer's cage doesn't droop low
    enough to acomodate both a 53 and a 30.

    Get your head between the crank and the front hub and sight between the rings. You should be looking
    at the center of the cassette. If your spindle is too long, the crank will be outboard more than
    necessary and the changer will not move far enough to the right.