Cannondale Synapse upgrades

smh444

Aug 27, 2009
Kind of new to biking. Bought a Cannondale 2007 Synapse (it's aluminum w/carbon fork...don't know the exact model) last year...had 20 year layoff from biking. Getting into good shape and looking at new bikes. I'm 45 so it's all relative!

Some guys/gals in the bike club are telling me that's it's a good bike - maybe just upgrade the wheels. It has the 105 equipment and that seems to work fairly well. Others saying go carbon.

Was looking at a Scott carbon rig but realize that I still have to pay my dues (it's the engine first, bike second, right?). Might be able to scrape up the $$$ for a nicer bike but don't have unlimited funds.

Any suggestions?

Unless you're feeling like the bike is holding you back somehow -- and by the tone of your post, I don't get that impression, sounds more like you're just feeling some peer pressure from your cycling buddies -- that bike is more than adequate for someone who's 45, been off the bike for 20 years, and doing club rides. As long as the frame fits you & you're comfortable, I'd keep riding it until I got much stronger, more experienced, and developed a more discerning sense of what I needed & what that bike was lacking specifically.

Having said that, new wheels will probably give you more "bang for the buck" than any other upgrade to that bike.

Your cycling buddies who say you need a carbon bike don't seem very knowledgeable to me, or maybe they are just equipment snobs. As long as the bike fits and the gearing is what you need, an expensive CF bike that's a lb or two lighter isn't going to affect your performance enough to notice on the road.

I agree, as long as the bike fits you well then until you determine that there is something, or somethings, about the bike that are holding back your riding performance....then just ride the heck out of it.

Like you said...engine first, bike second. :)