Car vs skateboard?

Badger_South wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 11:00:10 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>>Maybe certain of those purportedly bike-friendly European
>>countries are on the right track -- I'm not talking about
>>the bike lane stuff, but the severe penalties levied against
>>drivers who hit people.

> Care to give a sample penalty? I've not heard of this, but sounds like a
> good idea.

I'm curious as well (and I also think it's a great idea). I've heard
that in Germany, if you're caught driving drunk, you lose your license,
period, end of game. Curiously, they have much less trouble with drunk
drivers than we do. So if driving drunk gets you that, I have to wonder
what hitting someone gets you.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Badger_South <[email protected]> writes:

> Care to give a sample penalty? I've not heard of this, but sounds like a
> good idea.

www.penbiped.org/puchertq.pdf

Making Walking and Cycling Safer: Lessons from Europe
-- John Pucher and Lewis Dijkstra

Traffic Regulations and Enforcement (Page 25)

This paper is quite politically charged, portraying
cycling as a 'dangerous' activity (especially in North
America, as compared to Europe), presumably to promote
bike lanes. Take it with a grain or two of salt.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

wrote:

>So, since the loser doesn't lose anything and the winner can only win, they
>split the money and get to be on TV and probably get put up in a hotel for a
>night. That explains a lot!

The only "loss" any of the purported litigants can suffer is an embarrassing
few moments on television. That's hardly enough to deter a significant portion
of the public. If anyone needs proof of that they can just tune in to Jerry
Springer. "Whoeeee! This hotel is the nicest place I ever seen. Why, a
cheeseburger costs $12 and they bring it right to the room! All this *and* I
get to be on the TV and all I got to do is admit on the show that I had sex
with my wife's girlfriend's brother and his pet goat? Dang, sign me up for a
return appearance!".
What it doesn't explain though is the widespread appeal of all these shows and
the misplaced faith many have that they are something other than
"entertainment" as if they accurately reflect the way US courts work and what
the law is.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

"Hunrobe" <[email protected]> wrote

> What it doesn't explain though is the widespread appeal of all these shows

and

Laughing at the more unfortunate/unlucky, and being very glad that we (the
Royal 'we') aren't that screwed up.

Pete

wrote:

>"Hunrobe" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> What it doesn't explain though is the widespread appeal of all these shows

>and
>
>Laughing at the more unfortunate/unlucky, and being very glad that we (the
>Royal 'we') aren't that screwed up.

I was trying to be charitable to those shows' viewers. <g>

Regards,
Bob Hunt

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The light
> is normally a flashing green, which indicates the presence
> of a pushbutton pedestrian control.

I really don't get the flashing green thing at all. It always freaks me out
when I go up north, and I've finally decided to just treat it like a steady
green.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > The light
> > is normally a flashing green, which indicates the presence
> > of a pushbutton pedestrian control.

> I really don't get the flashing green thing at all. It always freaks me out
> when I go up north, and I've finally decided to just treat it like a steady
> green.

It is functionally the same as a steady green, for the purposes of any
vehicle approaching it. The only difference is that a flashing green
light will only change if a pedestrian hits the crosswalk button; there
are no car sensors on the cross street.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.