chain problem on fixed gear

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Hey everyone,

    I'm replacing the chain on a Fuji track bike and have run into a
    problem. I removed a KMC Z-chain (which worked fine and is now worn
    out) and I was planning on putting on a Kool K810 chain (1/2" x 3/32").
    They are both BMX chains, I believe, but the K810 doesn't seem to fit.
    The spaces in the chain don't line up with the points on the cog and
    the chain sits up on the ends of the cog teeth. My LBS said that the
    chain would work, but it seem like they're crazy.

    Do I have the wrong chain? Should I just buy a new one or is there a
    way to get this one to fit?

    Thanks for the help,
    Eric

    Tags:

  2. Eric

    Eric Guest

    It is just occurred to me that my chainring might be worn out. The bike
    for about 4 years old. I ride it almost daily and haven't used brakes
    for the last couple years.

    Should I just replace the front chainring and the chain together? The
    back cog is a couple years old. The chainring is original. The teeth on
    the chainring are starting to get pointy. The teeth on the back cog
    still have flat tops.

    Eric

  3. jim beam

    jim beam Guest

    Eric wrote:
    > Hey everyone,
    >
    > I'm replacing the chain on a Fuji track bike and have run into a
    > problem. I removed a KMC Z-chain (which worked fine and is now worn
    > out) and I was planning on putting on a Kool K810 chain (1/2" x 3/32").

    are you /sure/ the old chain is 3/32"? most track chain is 1/8".

    > They are both BMX chains, I believe, but the K810 doesn't seem to fit.
    > The spaces in the chain don't line up with the points on the cog and
    > the chain sits up on the ends of the cog teeth. My LBS said that the
    > chain would work, but it seem like they're crazy.
    >
    > Do I have the wrong chain? Should I just buy a new one or is there a
    > way to get this one to fit?
    >
    > Thanks for the help,
    > Eric

  4. Eric

    Eric Guest

    I'm not sure. The old chain is a KMC Z-series chain. It is a 1/8"
    chain, assuming that measuring the inside with a tape measure is the
    right way to figure that out.

  5. Paul Hobson

    Paul Hobson Guest

    Eric wrote:
    > I'm not sure. The old chain is a KMC Z-series chain. It is a 1/8"
    > chain, assuming that measuring the inside with a tape measure is the
    > right way to figure that out.

    yeah, I've a KMC Z on my beater. It's 1/8", which is probably what you
    need. Take the new chain back.
    \\paul

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Eric wrote:
    > I'm replacing the chain on a Fuji track bike and have run into a
    > problem. I removed a KMC Z-chain (which worked fine and is now worn
    > out) and I was planning on putting on a Kool K810 chain (1/2" x 3/32").
    > They are both BMX chains, I believe, but the K810 doesn't seem to fit.
    > The spaces in the chain don't line up with the points on the cog and
    > the chain sits up on the ends of the cog teeth. My LBS said that the
    > chain would work, but it seem like they're crazy.
    >
    > Do I have the wrong chain? Should I just buy a new one or is there a
    > way to get this one to fit?

    Look at your cog and chainring full-on at arm's length. Do
    the teeth appear symmetric? Or are they undulate - wave
    shaped? If they are noticeably asymmetric, you have a worn
    drive train.

    If not too worn, did you slack your axle nuts? A new chain
    will be shorter than even a lightly worn chain.

    I ride a KMC chrome/black "Kool Chain" myself. I don't think
    it works any better but it sure is pretty! Cheap too.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Eric wrote:
    > It is just occurred to me that my chainring might be worn out. The bike
    > for about 4 years old. I ride it almost daily and haven't used brakes
    > for the last couple years.
    >
    > Should I just replace the front chainring and the chain together? The
    > back cog is a couple years old. The chainring is original. The teeth on
    > the chainring are starting to get pointy. The teeth on the back cog
    > still have flat tops.

    Yes that is a reasonable assessment on the chainring but
    watch the chain engagement on that rear cog with the chain
    not fully tight to see if engagement is smooth. Might need a
    cog, too.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Eric wrote:
    > I'm not sure. The old chain is a KMC Z-series chain. It is a 1/8"
    > chain, assuming that measuring the inside with a tape measure is the
    > right way to figure that out.

    D'oh

    That's a good place to start. Return your wimpy 3/32" chain
    for an honest 1/8" track chain. Kool Chain should be the
    same price in both widths, the fast-wearing skinny and the
    preferable fat.

    Yes, I am biased.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  9. Since you are thinking about some upgrades, you may find Seldon Brown's
    page interesting:-

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-life.html

    It gives Sheldon's explanation of how to extend chain life.

    Hope this helps.

    Lewis.

    ******

  10. Eric Cappleton writes:

    > I'm replacing the chain on a Fuji track bike and have run into a
    > problem. I removed a KMC Z-chain (which worked fine and is now worn
    > out) and I was planning on putting on a Kool K810 chain (1/2" x
    > 3/32"). They are both BMX chains, I believe, but the K810 doesn't
    > seem to fit. The spaces in the chain don't line up with the points
    > on the cog and the chain sits up on the ends of the cog teeth. My
    > LBS said that the chain would work, but it seem like they're crazy.

    > Do I have the wrong chain? Should I just buy a new one or is there a
    > way to get this one to fit?

    You didn't say what it was that didn't fit but you should be able to
    manually engage one link onto the front and rear sprockets. I suspect
    you need a wider chain. How did you decide that the old chain was a
    3/32" derailleur chain? Did you compare the old and new?

    Jobst Brandt