CHO reabsorbtion after low-carb dieting

vio765

Jan 20, 2005
a major goal for me in preparing for the 2007 season was to lose weight- and a lot of it. i have three years of riding experience and one year of racing experience. my background is that through high school and early college was weight lifting, so i had a lot of muscular mass on my frame (relative to the stereotypical cyclist body). i start at 172.2 lbs on august 24. that was the first day of my low carb dieting. my goal is to be a steady 148 lbs by xmas (the start of my Base 1 training). i am currently 151.6 lbs with no blood glycogen. now for those who are not familiar with low carb dieting, blood glycogen has weight. in my experience, it makes up about 2% of my overall weight. in the past three months of dieting, i have taken 4 days off the diet, each day about 19-24 days apart. on the days that i am dieting, i average about 45-50 grams of CHO per day. i have found this diet very beneficial in regards to my goals. i am stripping all the fat AND the muscle tissue i dont use in cycling. BTW, i want to be an "all-rounder" until i reach the point that i know what my genetic strength is (ie sprinter, TT'er, climber, etc).
on each of the occasions i take a day off (yesterday was obvious), i find myself back into ketosis after about 2 days. so here is a senario that is very probable: for several days in a row i am in ketosis averging 45-50g CHO/day (and comfortably doing light strength training and yoga 5-6 days per week). then i have a day where i consume 3000-4500 calories and 400-600g CHO/day. the next day is the beginning of another cycle of low CHO dieting- about 20 days straight. my question is that when my dieting phase ends on xmas and i begin to eat "normal", how many days will it take for my body to completely reabsorb all the glycogen it needs to reach equilibrium? lets assume that im am not doing any physical activity whatsoever.

vio765 said:
a major goal for me in preparing for the 2007 season was to lose weight- and a lot of it. i have three years of riding experience and one year of racing experience. my background is that through high school and early college was weight lifting, so i had a lot of muscular mass on my frame (relative to the stereotypical cyclist body). i start at 172.2 lbs on august 24. that was the first day of my low carb dieting. my goal is to be a steady 148 lbs by xmas (the start of my Base 1 training). i am currently 151.6 lbs with no blood glycogen. now for those who are not familiar with low carb dieting, blood glycogen has weight. in my experience, it makes up about 2% of my overall weight. in the past three months of dieting, i have taken 4 days off the diet, each day about 19-24 days apart. on the days that i am dieting, i average about 45-50 grams of CHO per day. i have found this diet very beneficial in regards to my goals. i am stripping all the fat AND the muscle tissue i dont use in cycling. BTW, i want to be an "all-rounder" until i reach the point that i know what my genetic strength is (ie sprinter, TT'er, climber, etc).
on each of the occasions i take a day off (yesterday was obvious), i find myself back into ketosis after about 2 days. so here is a senario that is very probable: for several days in a row i am in ketosis averging 45-50g CHO/day (and comfortably doing light strength training and yoga 5-6 days per week). then i have a day where i consume 3000-4500 calories and 400-600g CHO/day. the next day is the beginning of another cycle of low CHO dieting- about 20 days straight. my question is that when my dieting phase ends on xmas and i begin to eat "normal", how many days will it take for my body to completely reabsorb all the glycogen it needs to reach equilibrium? lets assume that im am not doing any physical activity whatsoever.
first off I believe you are referring to liver and muscle glycogen not "blood glycogen" as you call it. Glycogen is stored in the liver or muscle tissue and glucose is carried in the blood. secondly it is not the glycogen itself that accounts for the claimed 2% of bodyweight but the water that associates with the glycogen molecule which is why people engaging in low carb diets will lose weight rapidly.

when you return to normal eating it will not take long for you to manufacture the 500 grams or so of muscle glycogen you have depleted through low-carb dieting. In addition when that glycogen is formed it will "carry" with it water which will result in additional weight gain.

JS